BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

If we had a manager in charge, I'd back us to stay up from here.

But we don't and survival is a matter of needing a lot of good luck.

Big issue for us is not to get tonked at the Emirates. Goal Difference is looking critical. SK is pretty clueless at setting up a defence.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats that based on exactly? I'm all for being positive and I agree its possible but do you think thats anywhere near how well we're playing at the moment?

We just equalised in the last minute in what I considered to be our easiest game in the run-in. I know there's the argument that Blackpool are better away than they are at home but recently they've been awful at both. That was a team was bang out of form, in their prior away games West Brom beat them, Wolves thrashed them, Everton put 5 past them and even a League 1 side beat them in the cup. Birmingham will provide at least as stern a test, Bolton/Wolves/West Ham will be harder, the rest will be much harder.

If we maintain our current level I could honestly only see us picking up about 3-4 more points. 1 on merit and 2-3 scraped together somehow or other.

Arsenal (0) - Superior squad, still going for the league, historically always a tough team for Rovers.

Birmingham (3) - In just as much of a shambles as us, if not more. At home, we have an at least decent chance of 3 points.

Everton (1) - In no mans land with nothing to play for, historically a good fixture for Rovers.

Man City (0) - Superior squad, will still be in a race with Tottenham for fourth place.

Bolton (3) - Same as Everton, and as someone pointed out they will be either preparing for a final or demoralized by a semi final loss.

West Ham (0) - Bogey team, which seems to have come to life in the last few weeks.

Man Utd (1) - Might already have seized the league, and Rover's stats against them at Ewood aren't bad.

Wolves (3) - Might already have gone down, might be in an epic struggle with us or someone else. Still, I just trust the fact that Rovers are a better team.

It's optimistic but in no way implausible. I wouldn't put it past us to get something from the City and/or Hammers game either, just as I wouldn't put it past us to loose against Brum, Everton, Bolton, United and Wolves. There are still things to be optimistic about, and you don't even have to be a jolly, irrational fool to be so just yet...

Arsenal (a) - 0

Birmingham (h)- 3

Everton (a)- 0

Man City (h) - 0

Bolton (h)- 1

West Ham (a) - 0

Man Utd (h) - 0

Wolves (a)- 0

I can see Arsenal spanking us 5 or 6-0 and really damaging our poor goal difference even further. Brum I think we will beat but only just. Everton away is a tricky place to go, Man City I see a loss but you never know it looks like they are showing signs of imploding. Bolton will be a tough game but I think we can sneak a draw. West Ham are our bogey side so I can't see us getting anything. United result will depend on whether Arsenal or Chelsea are still in the title race, if they aren't a draw might be possible, if they are then I only see a United victory. Wolves are showing plenty of fight and a final home game with the winner staying up I only see Wolves winnng that one.

So 37 points and likely we end up going down.

Arsenal (a) - 0

Birmingham (h)- 3

Everton (a)- 1

Man City (h) - 0

Bolton (h)- 3

West Ham (a) - 0

Man Utd (h) - 0

Wolves (a)- 1

Winning home games is a critical part of PL survival. Hasn't been a problem until about December last year. It is the only way we will stay up because I can't see us winning away at Everton, WHU or Wolves.

Arsenal (a) - 0

Birmingham (h)- 3

Everton (a)- 0

Man City (h) - 0

Bolton (h)- 1

West Ham (a) - 0

Man Utd (h) - 0

Wolves (a)- 0

I can see Arsenal spanking us 5 or 6-0 and really damaging our poor goal difference even further.

Goal difference is as tight as the points tallies.

A hammering down there could cost us big.

SK has targetted 41 points as the minimum requirement. Fat chance we have of reaching that.

I would absolutely love to know where he thinks we're going to get those points from.

I think it's all going to hinge on the Brum match.

I've already written off the Arsenal away game, but if we can somehow beat Birmingham at home the week after then I think it will give us a big enough confidence boost, and take enough of the pressure off, for us to get at least an extra 5 points from the next 4 games - meaning we should be relatively safe going into the United game.

However, lose, or even draw against Birmingham then I can easily see us buckling and only picking up one or two points more and going down with a whimper.

The nightmare scenario for me is if we face Wolves on the last day in a massive 6-pointer that sends the loser down. I'm convinced they'll want it more than us. I'm just hoping we're safe by then.

Too much emphasis on Villa beating us, when its got nothing to do with the results at present. They are sliding as well, so its not a foregone conclusion that they will stay up. Our destiny is in our own hands. For what its worth, I reckon Wigan, Brum and Blackpool will be relegated.

If Kean is to blame for our bad defence, then the experienced Samba, Nelsen, Givet and Emerton need to take things by the scruff of the neck. Its okay to blame Kean, but this was the core defence under Allardyce. Something is very wrong, and imo, the likes of J Jones and Nzonzi need to sit back a bit more. Its vital that we get Phil Jones alongside J Jones, as I feel that will allow a much better 3 man attack, in Olsson, Hoilett and RSC/Kalinic to keep things moving forward.

Robbo

Bert Samba Nelsen Givet

P Jones J Jones

Hoilett MGP/Dunn Olsson

RSC

• Backroom

Arsenal (a) - 0

Birmingham (h)- 3

Everton (a)- 0

Man City (h) - 0

Bolton (h)- 1

West Ham (a) - 0

Man Utd (h) - 0

Wolves (a)- 0

I can see Arsenal spanking us 5 or 6-0 and really damaging our poor goal difference even further. Brum I think we will beat but only just. Everton away is a tricky place to go, Man City I see a loss but you never know it looks like they are showing signs of imploding. Bolton will be a tough game but I think we can sneak a draw. West Ham are our bogey side so I can't see us getting anything. United result will depend on whether Arsenal or Chelsea are still in the title race, if they aren't a draw might be possible, if they are then I only see a United victory. Wolves are showing plenty of fight and a final home game with the winner staying up I only see Wolves winnng that one.

Pretty much agree with that, except we might get a point at Wolves depending on their situation. Also not convinced we'll beat Birmingham, got a bad feeling about that one after watching the last few games.

Arsenal (a) - 0

Birmingham (h)- 3

Everton (a)- 0

Man City (h) - 0

Bolton (h)- 1

West Ham (a) - 0

Man Utd (h) - 0

Wolves (a)- 0

actually relative to our rivals our goal difference isn't too bad. That's why we're above, what, three teams on the same amount of points? More than ever it's vital that we don't take a big hammering at Arsenal. I'd be delighted with a 1-0 loss if truth be told, because a 5-0 one could really make all the difference.

Personally I have a dread feeling, regardless of points, that it will all come down to our trip to Molineux. One team of the two stays up, the other goes down, and we only need a draw...

• Backroom

Depending what mood I'm in effects how I feel about it, we could easily end the season on 35 or 45 points you just never know.

I do think we will get one unexpected result somewhere whether that's a win against City or a point against United or Arsenal.

My head says we'll go down but it isn't nailed on...yet

On the back of my successful 2-2 prediction against Blackpool:

Arsenal (a) - 0: Arsenal have one focus.

Birmingham (h)- 1: McLeish will have them fired-up and too well organised. Barry F. also underrated.

Everton (a)- 0: Moyes is Moyes and a pal of Sam's as is Steve Round; they will be unmerciful

Man City (h) - 1: Draw only on the basis of Mancini being his usual negative self. If he lets them off the leash, we will be murdered.

Bolton (h)- 1: Pressure on, heads down, rubber dinghy men back in town.

West Ham (a) - 0: Bogey ground and they are too good for us. Avram is a wise old uncle, Parker is excellent and Ba scoring for fun.

Man Utd (h) - 0: Fergie, "this is for Sam", enough said.

Wolves (a)- 0: Already down and without a whimper. Steve Kean " the hard work starts now and we'll take the positives of the last few months".

Just three points and we are gone, probably not to return!

Birmingham (h)- 1: McLeish will have them fired-up and too well organised. Barry F. also underrated.

If it's just a case of getting them "fired-up" how come Brum are second bottom!?

Bolton (h)- 1: Pressure on, heads down, rubber dinghy men back in town.

If Bolton get to the FA cup final, do you think their plyaers are going to throw them selves into 50/50 challenges

West Ham (a) - 0: Bogey ground and they are too good for us. Avram is a wise old uncle, Parker is excellent and Ba scoring for fun.

I agree there recent home record is better then our away record but losing sequences are there to be broken and "Ba scoring for fun"? He's only scored 4 league goals!!

Man Utd (h) - 0: Fergie "this is for Sam", enough said.

I Really don't get the "this is for Sam" mentality, I don't remember him doing anything to help Kidd when we went down last time

Just stop the crystal ball shyte and simply expect the worst to happen,it will soften the blow for a millisecond or two.

I couldn't agree more, if football was so easy to predict as what some people on here think it is, there'd be a lot of rich punters and a very boring sport to watch!

So we're 11th. 5 points from 6th and 6 points from 18th.

This thread has probably arrived 2 months too early, IF a relegation battle does actually happen :wacko:

So is the thread OK now? You'd agree the relegation battle has happened?

Hows the relegation fight looking tonight?

I bet some Mum's have been spitting on hankies tonight before removing spilt egg :rover:

This one after the Liverpool game!

Arsenal (a) - 0

Birmingham (h)- 3

Everton (a)- 0

Man City (h) - 0

Bolton (h)- 1

West Ham (a) - 0

Man Utd (h) - 0

Wolves (a)- 0

I wouldn't argue with that but experience of watching BRFC since the 60's and the way everybody assumes that we will get 3 against Brum doesn't necessarily stack up. If we lose to Brum the mood on here will be desperate. :(

Archived