BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea Vs ROVERS

You may be forgiven for saying that there is not too much cause for optimism going in to this fixture, especially when you take in to account our recent record at Stamford Bridge.

You have to go back over 5 years for the last time we even scored a goal at Stamford Bridge in the league. Bellamy was the man, scoring twice in a 4-2 defeat in October 2005. Even more worryingly, You have to go back as far as February 2003 to the last time we took 3 points at the Bridge, with Dwight Yorke and David Dunn putting Chelsea to the sword in a fine 2-1 away win.

Our record at Stamford Bridge over the past 5 seasons stands at W0 D1 L4. However our performances pre-Abramovich were not too shabby at all. Prior to 2004 our Premier League-era record at the Bridge stood at W5 D5 L0

Having not added a victory since then, the record is very evenly balanced before Saturday's match, standing at W5 D6 L5.

The most damning statistic for me is the shear lack of goals we score at the Bridge. Since being promoted in 2001 we have scored a total of 6 goals in 9 games whilst conceding 21.

It is fair to say that, based on these statistics and with Chelsea struggling in recent weeks, Carlo Ancelotti could not have wished for a better game to re-ignite his title challenge.

We are in decent enough form but Chelsea will be hoping to exploit the uncertainty and inconsistency that surrounds us these days.

Right thats it, negativity over! The above statistics are cold, hard fact and there is no way of stating them to make it seem any better. Not wanting to be a prophet of doom however, what I can do is put as positive a slant on this game as is humanly possible. After all, without belief we have nothing...

5 reasons to be optimistic about Saturdays game (WARNING: BARREL MAY BE WELL AND TRUELY SCRAPED)

1 - Since the start of November Chelsea have taken a measly 10 points out of a possible 33 whereas in contrast, we have taken 19 points out of a possible 36. This makes us the form team going in to Saturday...

2 - Niko Kalinic. The Croatian has served his three match ban and will be itching to get back to action following his brace against West Brom. The Jury may still be out but I have no doubt in my mind that given the opportunities, this lad will score goals. Also gives Benjani a much needed and well deserved break.

3 - The last time we beat Liverpool (Dec 2006) it was the catalyst for a four game winning streak...2 down 2 to go...

4 - The last time we played a game on 15th January we won away from home (1-0 at Pompey in 2005 - Incidently Ryan Nelsen's league debut)

5 - The last time we beat Chelsea away our manager was Scottish and the Chelsea manager was Italian....I'm just saying ;-)

So who wouldn't be optismistic after that??? hmmmmmm indeed

Finally, its time for the almost-obligatory Q&A.

Having quickly diminished delusional ideas of contacting ex-players or managers, I turned to my old buddy David Knight, life-long Chelsea fan and former bassist extraordinaire. Being quite the wordsmith in his own right, I knew Dave would give us a balanced, thoughtful view on Saturday's game and Chelsea's season thus far...

1 - With Chelsea and Rovers both struggling for consistency in the past few weeks, do you think this game takes on added significance with both teams thriving for a win?

Yes, I do, but not much. Chelsea have to prove that their season is not over by winning every single game from now on, and Blackburn is no exception. On the other hand, Rovers are in the strange position of being 7 points away from both the Europa League and relegation, so they need a good bit of form to keep pushing on and avoid slipping down the table, but they're a little far from either side to get excited just yet.

2 - Rovers have not recorded a win against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the league since February 2003, do you see any chance of this changing come Saturday evening?

No, I think Chelsea will win. But then, I've been saying that for the past 2 months and I've mostly been wrong.

3 - Chelsea have dramatically taken their foot off the gas recently and have fallen from a commanding lead at the top of the table to 5th place in a matter of weeks. Do you see any signs of recovery and do you still see yourselves as title challengers?

Chelsea are no longer title challengers. I still think we are going to turn the corner and start racking up wins again - it's just a matter of how long it takes to do that. If we start soon, we can at least put some pressure on the top, but I don't think Man U are going to have the slump in form we had. Even if it's not them topping the table at the end of the season, I don't think it'll be Chelsea.

4 - Ramires has come under a fair bit of scutiny following his summer move from Benfica. Is it too early to describe him as a flop?

It is a little early to write him off completely, but he hasn't been very impressive. In fairness to him, he has got a little better now that he's got a few games under his belt, but he's still not as good as he should be - a bit weak, loses concentration sometimes, doesn't think fast enough. He might still improve, but I think his place is as a back-up.

5 - The spending seems to have dried up somewhat at Chelsea recently and with an ageing squad struggling to hit their own previous heights do you have confidence in the youth coming though (Sturridge, Bruma, Kakuta etc.) or do you feel it is time for Roman to open the cheque book again?

We need to start getting the youth through at some point, but this slump in form has shown that we don't have a strong enough squad to cope with more than a couple of injuries and suspensions. I think it's just a question of balance - some of the youngsters are promising, but not quite there yet, and we could do with some fresh faces to tide us over until they start to come good.

6 - Following the takeover here at Rovers by Venkys we certainly cant be accused of being boring with the sacking of Big Sam and the alledged bids for Ronaldinho/Beckham etc. What is your perception of our new owners, their decisions and the recent goings-on at Ewood?

It sounds like the owners like posturing, which is often harmless but can be a little worrying if they don't control it. It's the kind of thing that can lead you to the FA Cup Final when you can't afford it, or start replacing your manager every few months because they don't agree with you.

7 - You and I attended the game at Stamford Bridge last season and it is fair to say you were much the happier man as your boys gave us a thorough spanking. Can you see the same thing happening this time round?

I think we'll have a much harder job of it this time. No spankings, and it's going to be tense. I reckon we'll win, but not without half the crowd having heart attacks or mental breakdowns from Drogba hitting the post twice and missing a penalty which somehow sets up a counterattack for Rovers

8 - Who in the Blue of Chelsea should we most fear come kick off?

You should always fear Drogba - he hasn't been on form, he clearly hasn't even wanted to be on the pitch at times, but he still terrorises defenses, and he's been getting a few assists even though he hasn't been scoring much - all he needs is a couple of good games, and he'll be back on form again, and I'm hoping one of those is against Blackburn. You should also watch out for Lampard - I didn't fully appreciate what he brings to the team until I saw him play after being out for so long. We're a different team with him in.

9 - And who in the away-Red of Rovers will you be keeping a cautious eye on?

Usually I'd say Samba, but I'm not so sure at the moment. Pedersen has been doing a lot for Rovers this season - we're going to have to make sure he isn't allowed any free space, but we also have to be careful to not give away any free kicks - Big Sam drilled Rovers well. Though I have to say we're more vulnerable to counters than free kicks at the moment.

10 - Finally, be brave and give us a predicted score (with scorers) for the game on Saturday

Tough one - I think there'll only be a goal in it, but not sure of a scoreline. 2-1 to Chelsea (Drogba, Kalou / EH Diouf). We can't seem to keep a clean sheet in the league, and I don't think that'll change just yet.

Thanks very much to Dave for taking the time to do that. Seems that Chelsea are overdue a really big win. Lets just hope they got all the goals out of their system against Ipswich...

I'll be optimistic and go for a score draw - 1-1 (Lampard, M Diouf)

Oh and I'm still chuckling to myself about the prospect of Rovers counter-attacking...

:rover:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Not expecting anything at all, all I would like is if wr showed a bit more than a Sam team would so anything less than 5-0 really.

I do think they'll be firing on all cylinders though so anywhere between 3 and 6 wouldn't be a shock.

I went in 1993, first game of the season. First time I had ever seen a match day programme on sale at £2.00. Parking in London for the afternoon was £8 ! The old Bridge was a completely knackered stadium, crumbling terraces, and no money spent on any where but the main stand.

The only ground where you could see a load of these parked next to the pitch.

166844_10150155081905898_594900897_8256226_6693415_n.jpg

We won then, 2-1, Newell and Ripley. Great day out.

Steve Kean is in a no win situation here. If we do the improbable and get something off Chelski you will get the likes of Jim etc stating that we just benefited from their poor run. However if we get thrashed they will say why get rid of Sam as he would have achieved the same result blah blah blah.

Steve Kean is in a no win situation here. If we do the improbable and get something off Chelski you will get the likes of Jim etc stating that we just benefited from their poor run. However if we get thrashed they will say why get rid of Sam as he would have achieved the same result blah blah blah.

I'm afraid it's going to be like that for awhile.

I suppose it looked something like this.

I know old grounds weren't the nicest place to visit (the Cricket Field Stand at t'Turf is bad enough) but they bring a tear to me eye - wish I could have gone and experienced it, but never could. Boohoo!

ground_arial_old.jpgground_arial_new.jpg

It really was a dump, but look at it now. You were a long way from the pitch on that old terrace.

I genuinely think we'll do them.. if we start with;

....Nico....Mama

Olsson..........Hoilett.

They look all over the place against pace at the moment, a fast front line will be key, in my opinion.

I went in 1993, first game of the season. First time I had ever seen a match day programme on sale at £2.00. Parking in London for the afternoon was £8 ! The old Bridge was a completely knackered stadium, crumbling terraces, and no money spent on any where but the main stand.

The only ground where you could see a load of these parked next to the pitch.

166844_10150155081905898_594900897_8256226_6693415_n.jpg

We won then, 2-1, Newell and Ripley. Great day out.

I was there that day Ozz. Wasn't it Glenn Hoddle's first home game as Chelsea manager?

Cracking preview, 'arrod rover; love the "5 reasons to be optimistic about Saturday's game"! :D

I don't think I've seen us at Stamford Bridge since the 70s or maybe the early 80s; was able to coincide a work trip to London with, if memory serves, a mid-week game at the Bridge.

I may be a "glass half full" person; but I'm quietly optimistic about this one. If we go at them like the mackems did earlier this season, I think their defence could be vulnerable. The main thing, I believe, is not to be deferential towards them. My heart says a narrow win to us; maybe 1-2.

I was there that day Ozz. Wasn't it Glenn Hoddle's first home game as Chelsea manager?

It was-he was the player manager on debut.

From CFCnet.co.uk.

A crowd of over 29,000 expectant souls convened at the Bridge to see what the maestro could muster from his troops and, for the first 20 minutes or so, they watched enraptured as a delightful display of possession football ensued. New signing Gavin Peacock and Dennis Wise instantly colluded with the gaffers game plan, whilst Frank Sinclair and Erland Johnsen looked composed at the back.

The Blues went ahead early in the second half when Peacock capped his debut by heading Wise’s cross past Bobby Mimms … happy days … but Blackburn’s combination of pace and power had Chelsea increasingly on the defensive and, with Chelsea’s left flank continually exposed, it was no surprise when the visitors equalized. Eleven minutes from time Mike Newell scored the winner for Rovers and we traipsed out of the Bridge bemused and dejected. Chelsea (4-1-3-2): Dimitri Kharine; Steve Clarke, Frank Sinclair, Erland Johnsen, Andy Dow (David Lee, 81 min); Glenn Hoddle; Gavin Peacock, Denis Wise, Mal Donaghy; Tony ‘hee haw’ Cascarino, John Spencer (Robert Fleck, 70 min). Sub not used: Kevin Hitchcock

I hate it when rovers play Chelsea because we ALWAYS lose and sometimes heavily. If we go there to defend we will lose, if we go to have a go at them we will get spanked!

That said, this is the best time to play them and I have my fingers and toes crossed. If there is to be any scoring done, it will by Kalinic. Not scored loads, but it's coming and he is excellent on the ball.

I genuinely think we'll do them.. if we start with;

....Nico....Mama

Olsson..........Hoilett.

They look all over the place against pace at the moment, a fast front line will be key, in my opinion.

That's an attacking line up which can score, without a doubt.

Is Robbo back? And aren't Grella or N'Zonzi available?

Robbo/Bunn

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

N'Zonzi

Hoillet MGP Olsen

Nico M. Diouf

I would only use Dunn and Grella as substitutes. We need the energy, speed and confidence on youth on the attack, and the experience and sneakiness of age on defense.

And I think we can get something from this, even if it is only respect in the event we lose a hard fought match.

Archived