BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea Vs ROVERS

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was-he was the player manager on debut.

From CFCnet.co.uk.

A crowd of over 29,000 expectant souls convened at the Bridge to see what the maestro could muster from his troops and, for the first 20 minutes or so, they watched enraptured as a delightful display of possession football ensued.

Hoddle also showed how to pass a cross field ball as best as anybody I have ever seen.

Chelsea certainly dominated us for that opening 20 mins/half hour but we gradually grew better in the game and certainly finished the stronger of the teams - if my memory serves me right Ripley scored with an header

Just made it back in time to see us on match of the day.

El Tombro

Champions League

Group:

Members Posts:

2649 Joined:

02-May 07 Twitter:scummgrog Location:Stockport ST Stand:Jack Walker Stand ST Block:W12 Posted Yesterday, 02:30 PM

I know old grounds weren't the nicest place to visit (the Cricket Field Stand at t'Turf is bad enough) but they bring a tear to me eye - wish I could have gone and experienced it, but never could. Boohoo!

There always seemed to be the added spice to games at Chelsea (especially the night games) - bearing in mind like Citeh they had been in the old 2nd Divission with us and we just always seemed to end up playing them one way or another.

Their lot where not happy after this game outside but that always seemed to be the case anyway.

In a way I certainly miss going to Chelski - not been since the rebuild and the russian revolution as refuse to pay the astronomical prices for tickets.

Never seen us lose at Chelsea out of 6 visits - missed the play offs in 88 as knew it was allover after the 1st game and couldn't be bothered to go

As for this game - could go either way but just feel a draw is probably as much as we can expect, certainly need to give a better account than at Sunderland but their result against Ipswich has probably come at the wrong time for us.

That's an attacking line up which can score, without a doubt.

Is Robbo back? And aren't Grella or N'Zonzi available?

Robbo/Bunn

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

N'Zonzi

Hoillet MGP Olsen

Nico M. Diouf

I would only use Dunn and Grella as substitutes. We need the energy, speed and confidence on youth on the attack, and the experience and sneakiness of age on defense.

And I think we can get something from this, even if it is only respect in the event we lose a hard fought match.

I would go for this team. Except obviously Olsson and Hoilett rather than Hoillet and Olsen! Bit harsh to drop Benjani and Dunn after their Liverpool exploits but we need pace out there to trouble Chelsea on the break and work rate to disrupt them when they have the ball.

The great thing about Hoilett and Olsson is that while they are pacy attacking players both are also good defenders with a lot of strength so can get tight. and break down Chelsea's build up.

Also Nzonzi probably won't be available - if not Linganzi has to be worth a shot....

No idea how this game could go. Sneaking a win or getting totally thrashed both seem reasonable outcomes at the moment. Still don't think Allardyce should have been sacked, but it is true the game on saturday is a more exciting proposition with Kean in charge.

ps. Actually thinking about it Roberts always causes Terry huge problems so maybe it is worth giving him a start? If so Niko would make way for me.

I'm really intrigued to see what Kean does in this game.

As brilliant as the result and performance against Liverpool was, I think a similar approach here will see us end with a similar result to Ipswich. I'm not saying we can't be attacking, but we can't afford the space in the middle that was there against Liverpool.

Given that Venky's apparently we're disgusted by the Man Utd 7-1 game, it will be very interesting to see what Kean goes for. It wouldn't surprise me to see him revert to more of a 4-3-3, maybe...

............................ Bunn

Salgado ... Samba ... Nelsen ... Givet

.......................... Grella

................. Dunn ....... Pedersen

... M. Diouf .............................. Hoilett

........................... Benjani

It doesn't have to be defensive, Diouf and Hoilett can support Benjani and Dunn and Pedersen can break from midfield. It might just protect that space that Liverpool failed to exploit.

ps. Actually thinking about it Roberts always causes Terry huge problems so maybe it is worth giving him a start? If so Niko would make way for me.

very true, J-Rob to play a big part in a credible 2-2 draw. Can't see us keeping a clean sheet. Niko with another from our one corner late on.

Actually thinking about it Roberts always causes Terry huge problems so maybe it is worth giving him a start? If so Niko would make way for me.

Wouldn't any of us cause Terry huge problems at the moment, well any of us with a bit of pace, I think Mama will fancy a go at these guys, And Mama and Niko or Roberts would scare the C*** out of them, the biggest factor is the clean sheet we need to keep for me.

If we keep it close it should actually be a good game, especially if they are complacent after slapping the mighty Ipswich.

Wouldn't any of us cause Terry huge problems at the moment, well any of us with a bit of pace, I think Mama will fancy a go at these guys, And Mama and Niko or Roberts would scare the C*** out of them, the biggest factor is the clean sheet we need to keep for me.

If we keep it close it should actually be a good game, especially if they are complacent after slapping the mighty Ipswich.

Robbo/Bunn

Hoilet MGP Olsen

Nico Roberts M.Diouf

In honor of our rumored new assistant manager, how seems to prefer the 4-3-3.

And I think the Rovers have underrated themselves, and been underrated, for awhile. We are capable of scaring the "c*** out of them" if we demonstrate the ambition.

Robbo/Bunn

Hoilet MGP Olsen

Nico Roberts M.Diouf

That side would get surprise sexed by Chelsea.

Like Liverpool, Chelsea are a side in decline but we haven't got home advantage and will need fight in midfield or the likes of Essien will eat us alive. Kean isn't going to drop Dunn or Pedersen, so maybe we'll need to go 4-5-1/4-3-3 and put Linganzi in the holding role.

BUNN

SALGADO - SAMBA - NELSEN - GIVET

LINGANZI

DUNN - PEDERSEN

HOILETT - M. DIOUF - OLSSON

I am usually optimistic going in to these games and I thought they were due abig result so lets hope this was the ipswitch game when they smashed in 7 :( I would love to compete and get a draw but I can see a comfortable 3-0 victory for them and Drogba to score and anelka to get a brace - Then comes a very big game for us at home to West Brom - This is a very important game and we need 3 points out of these next 2 games... Back to Chelsea I would love to go there, unleash Junior and Olsson and really attack this chelsea side...

can't remember the year, but there was a fantastic game i saw at the bridge, when chris sutton and ashley ward had a running battle with desailly and le beoef all game. we scored at the death in that one.

looking forward to saturday - should be a great game, but we'll be lucky to get anything out of it

We definitely need someone who is able to stretch their centre back pairing, to create space for our wingers to exploit. As our none of our strikers are really good enough to cause their defenders problems on their own, unless they are having a bad day.

For me, we have to start with roberts for that role, his physical approach and good pace is best suited to it.

Not so sure this is the best game for roque to make a real impact, cant see him getting the better of terry to be honest.

I went in 1993, first game of the season. First time I had ever seen a match day programme on sale at £2.00. Parking in London for the afternoon was £8 ! The old Bridge was a completely knackered stadium, crumbling terraces, and no money spent on any where but the main stand.

The only ground where you could see a load of these parked next to the pitch.

166844_10150155081905898_594900897_8256226_6693415_n.jpg

We won then, 2-1, Newell and Ripley. Great day out.

I drove a minibus down for that one. A line of Rovers coaches parked down this road as far as you could see and then about ten minibuses/transits etc tagged on to the back of them.

Great day out - pub on the top side of the M25, great atmosphere, great win, great days.

Good review.

Made a last minute decision to attend this game with another Rover. Leaving Belfast tomorrow for my first ever visit to Stamford Bridge so can anyone please advise of the nearest watering hole before and after the game. I can imagine that this will be pretty expensive and I wish for a 1-1 draw.

I also have x2 tickets for That Sunday Night Show on Friday evening if anyone else is interested in going. Please view this thread. Thanks.

Groo.

Times of India preview includes this line:

Down at the bottom of the article after discussing Chelsea, it says:

Rovers have expectations of finishing in the top-six this season and Indian owners Venky's are willing to place their trust in Kean to help them achieve it.

The feel-good factor has returned to Ewood Park and defender Martin Olsson told Radio Rovers: "We've been playing some good football and that is what the manager likes us to do.

"In training we just do passing, two touch, three touch and I think we have progressed and we have shown that out on the pitch that we are enjoying ourselves," he added of a Blackburn side currently in 10th place.

"There are so many games to go, who knows where we can finish, we are enjoying our football, that is how the manager wants to play. He trusts us, it has been working."

Blackburn will wait for news on four players who could come back into contention for Saturday's match.

Steven N'Zonzi, Keith Andrews and Vince Grella (all groin) and Jason Roberts (hamstring) could return to action.

Read more: Chelsea in search of Rovers revival - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/english-premier-league/top-stories/top-stories/Chelsea-in-search-of-Rovers-revival/articleshow/7281615.cms#ixzz1AzcD8sqE

A more familiar preview from Lawrenson in the BBC-

Chelsea v Blackburn

It will be interesting to see how Chelsea play here after their emphatic FA Cup victory over Ipswich last weekend. Not a lot has gone right for them in recent weeks but I think their biggest problem has been that, other than in that Cup tie, all of their forwards have been average at best.

Blackburn are still up against it a little bit, despite that fine win over Liverpool in their last Premier League game on 5 January. Their manager Steve Kean wants to put his own stamp on the team but, until he gets one or two of his own players in, that is going to be very difficult to achieve.

Prediction: 2-0

• Backroom

He he Just seen the back page of the Sun today.. Picture of Frank Lampard sat grumpy looking.. and the headline "We used to think we were unbeatable, now we're not so sure"

Get Into 'Em

Archived