BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Return - Done Deal

Glenn

Is it me or does he just look disinterested?

It might be the way Kean has the team setup or something, I dunno but every match he has played in these past few weeks he just looks like he can't be arsed?

RSC was poor yesterday.

Okay, he was never going to get a great deal of service but even the ball did fall to him, he did little in the way of holding the ball up and taking some of the pressure off the midfield and defence.

I got the distinct feeling he wasn't interested. Very disappointing given that another loanee – Jermaine Jones – played as if his life depended on it.

I'll be glad to see the back of RSC. This loan has told us he's definitely not the player he was.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish people would stop rubbishing players' performances at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates. Especially our forwards.

if you noticed I said "weeks" he was disinterested at home against Blackpool as well, in-fact the only game I actually saw him make an effort was at home against West Brom way back in January...

if you noticed I said "weeks" he was disinterested at home against Blackpool as well, in-fact the only game I actually saw him make an effort was at home against West Brom way back in January...

Wasn't particularly aimed at you sys. We do tend to be hard on our players. I couldn't really single out one poor performer yesterday. If I had to be critical if an individual it would BR Emerton's set pieces yesterday. But it's not really his thing. Apart from that I though everyone contributed to a great TEAM performance. Roque (and even Roberts) included.

He was OK yesterday. Definitely did more to hold it up than Roberts ever did whilst on the pitch. Plus his flick on to release JJ in the second half was sublime. He just let it touch his heel to go through with his back to goal at the half-way line. He looks sluggish though which must be the fitness. Still the best at the club in terms of hold up play, & link up play.

I thought RSC did well yesterday. He was clearly thinking and setting up play during portions of our attack and appeared very unselfish. All in all I have no complaints with his performance.

Really hope that he and Kalinic get a few games starting together. I think they would make a good partnership.

I thought RSC did well yesterday. He was clearly thinking and setting up play during portions of our attack and appeared very unselfish. All in all I have no complaints with his performance.

Really hope that he and Kalinic get a few games starting together. I think they would make a good partnership.

Completely agree

He was OK yesterday. Definitely did more to hold it up than Roberts ever did whilst on the pitch. Plus his flick on to release JJ in the second half was sublime. He just let it touch his heel to go through with his back to goal at the half-way line. He looks sluggish though which must be the fitness. Still the best at the club in terms of hold up play, & link up play.

Correct. One must also take into consideration the size of the man, he is huge.

I couldn't understand the substitution for Roberts cos after HT RSC had been doing well as Arsenal's tempo had dropped and allowed us to play a little further forward and support him more.

One thing is odd though. We sold RSC cos City could afford to pay him much more than we could. Now however we are paying his wages. I realise that a small matter of 17mill was involved but there is still a heavy irony to the situation.

Playing the lone role in this league is the hardest of any in the world. 2 brick pooh houses marking you and the pace at which you get closed down is high. RSC is not playing well but we are not setting up to get the best out of him. Yesterday saw the 4231 with Dunn in the hole, now that role involves the hole player supporting both the midfield and attack, he needs an engine. The hole player must be able to get up to and beyond the striker and Dunn just doesn't have the legs to do that anymore. Christ at one stage I saw a Brum player beat him to the ball with a 1.5 metre or so head start. RSC had next to no support in the 1st half and if he's not up to 90 as Kean has said what is the point of playing players around him who cannot physically do the job they need too.

RSC needs a partner and from the off especially as he's no where near fit at present as what chance does a semi fit player have against 2 fully fit premier league bruts of centre backs?

None IMO.

First half yesterday Roque was the lone man. Every out ball from the back, mainly from Robbo, was a long punt aimed solely at RSC, with the idea that his aerial prowess would allow him to flick on to the man in the hole to pick up. The man in the hole was Dunn, who never even got close to RSC due to lack of pace, which didn't matter as RSC won only one header out of about 15.

Hoilett should have been the runner, Dunn wide right. At least Juniur may have got near the second ball.

Roque was awful yesterday, I love the guy and think he was a class player. But the persistant rumours of his knees being shot, and most importantly watching him play show clearly he's finished as a top player. It's like he has lead boots on.

I think the guy's lost his motivation. He had his big chance at City and it went tits up, and something he still laments, so he doesn't have the drive to succeed. Whereas, when he first came to the PL with Sparky, it was a new lease of life for him. And not to mention the quality of Bentley did help. That's just the vibe I get from watching him at times.

• Backroom

Playing the lone role in this league is the hardest of any in the world. 2 brick pooh houses marking you and the pace at which you get closed down is high. RSC is not playing well but we are not setting up to get the best out of him. Yesterday saw the 4231 with Dunn in the hole, now that role involves the hole player supporting both the midfield and attack, he needs an engine. The hole player must be able to get up to and beyond the striker and Dunn just doesn't have the legs to do that anymore. Christ at one stage I saw a Brum player beat him to the ball with a 1.5 metre or so head start. RSC had next to no support in the 1st half and if he's not up to 90 as Kean has said what is the point of playing players around him who cannot physically do the job they need too.

RSC needs a partner and from the off especially as he's no where near fit at present as what chance does a semi fit player have against 2 fully fit premier league bruts of centre backs?

None IMO.

Basically put, he was a complete waste-of-money signing given the current players in our squad.

Even the golden opportunities he's had (4 of them, counting one yesterday) he's failed to convert.

First half yesterday Roque was the lone man. Every out ball from the back, mainly from Robbo, was a long punt aimed solely at RSC, with the idea that his aerial prowess would allow him to flick on to the man in the hole to pick up. The man in the hole was Dunn, who never even got close to RSC due to lack of pace, which didn't matter as RSC won only one header out of about 15.

Hoilett should have been the runner, Dunn wide right. At least Juniur may have got near the second ball.

Roque was awful yesterday, I love the guy and think he was a class player. But the persistant rumours of his knees being shot, and most importantly watching him play show clearly he's finished as a top player. It's like he has lead boots on.

I too thought on reflection that Hoillet should have played that role from the off if that was the game plan. However I'm not sure I would have started Dunn period. I really wanted to attack with pace against brum, they are slow at the back and we played to their strengths with our selection.

I think I would have gone with this layout retrospectively if 4231 was the chosen route way (absolutely baffled by this decision given that Birminghams successes recently have come against teams that play this way and their bad results against 442 teams in the main, and all that just from the BBC website)

Jones Jones

Diouf Hoillet Olsson

RSC

The pace of the attacking midfield 3 would have allowed us to play in the fashion we tried too yesterday, bit deep and direct as one of those three would have gotten up to support the front man.

I think you right about RSC Ozzie, he's lost something but he's the best we have on his day. What I don't understand is how we can expect a player who cannot play 90 to compete and win against 2 how are, baffling.

Blackburn Rovers need striker Roque Santa Cruz to deliver following draw with Birmingham City

Yet manager Steve Kean insists that, despite the profligacy Santa Cruz has shown since rejoining the club, he remains optimistic that a permanent deal can be concluded.

“We would love to sign him,” said Kean, who claimed that their attempts to fix a price in the January transfer window failed because of City’s non-compliance. “Roque wants to stay. He and his agent wanted us to fix the price, but we couldn’t. Now we will see where we are at the end of the season,” said Kean.

Basically put, he was a complete waste-of-money signing given the current players in our squad.

Even the golden opportunities he's had (4 of them, counting one yesterday) he's failed to convert.

Only Jones has provided any sort of return at all for us, and he's only on loan. Without him January's transfer window could qualify as the worst and costliest ever despite having the dubious benefit of having an experienced agent installed at Brockhall.

Blackburn Rovers need striker Roque Santa Cruz to deliver following draw with Birmingham City

Yet manager Steve Kean insists that, despite the profligacy Santa Cruz has shown since rejoining the club, he remains optimistic that a permanent deal can be concluded.

“We would love to sign him,” said Kean, who claimed that their attempts to fix a price in the January transfer window failed because of City’s non-compliance. “Roque wants to stay. He and his agent wanted us to fix the price, but we couldn’t. Now we will see where we are at the end of the season,” said Kean.

Kean wants to give him a permanent deal?! Talk about completely stupid decisions.

He's not going to deliver because he just ain't the same player who scored 23 goals in 43 goals in his first season and there is no Bentley here to provide world class crosses.

RVR don't read too much into this I'm sure it doesn't mean much. imo It's a statement that has no substance but might just boost RSC's confidence which in fairness seems to be fairly low.

Only Jones has provided any sort of return at all for us, and he's only on loan. Without him January's transfer window could qualify as the worst and costliest ever despite having the dubious benefit of having an experienced agent installed at Brockhall.

Its a bit early to judge Rochina or Formica. Rochina in particular sounds like he could be a bargain. Formica is worrying though. Nothing encouraging about him at the moment.

Problem is that we have not had anyone coming in who has made a big impact. Other clubs, including our relegation rivals, seemed to be able to recruit quite effectively too - Jermaine Jones has improved however took a few games to get going.

As it stands, a very poor January transfer window with the lovely aid of "finance" too.

Jermaine Jones is confident the goals will soon flow for Blackburn Rovers teammate Roque Santa Cruz.

Jones - on loan from German side Schalke - who remembers Santa Cruz from his days at Bayern Munich.

He said: "He's a good player and he will score goals.

"As Torres has found it can be difficult moving clubs in January but he's working hard for the team, tracking back. Once he gets his first goal more will follow."

Archived