BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Return - Done Deal

Glenn

im actually quite excited by the return of roque now

we will be far stronger with him in the side , and hopefully him and kalinic could form an exciting partnership - hes the sort of partner kalinic needs in my opinion - instead of kalinic being the targetman

hopefully he can stay fit

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome home Roque :) Hope he performs well and we secure a perm deal in the summer :)

We do need a new song for him though... We have his old one for Niko Kalinic now... I think I have the ideal one:

*Any1 watch Darts when Vincent van der Voort was playing it goes, na na na na na na, Vincent Van Da Voort, Van De Voort, VINCENT van der Voort. We should do this as Na Na Na Na NA Na Roque Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, ROQUE santa cruz!!! - heard Leeds singing something similar away at emirates also but catchy and sounds good :)

Welcome home Roque :) Hope he performs well and we secure a perm deal in the summer :)

We do need a new song for him though... We have his old one for Niko Kalinic now... I think I have the ideal one:

*Any1 watch Darts when Vincent van der Voort was playing it goes, na na na na na na, Vincent Van Da Voort, Van De Voort, VINCENT van der Voort. We should do this as Na Na Na Na NA Na Roque Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, ROQUE santa cruz!!! - heard Leeds singing something similar away at emirates also but catchy and sounds good :)

I dont know that one, so I quite fancy the old tried and tested:

"Ohhh, Rocky Rocky

Rocky Rocky Rocky Rocky Santa Cruz."

sung with great gusto to the tune of the Bolton Wanderers welcoming song. :)

I will be in my usual seat in the JW Upper trying to get that one going which may just prove a little difficult, so I am hoping that the BBE and the Darwen End choirs will be quick to join in and help me out.......... Failing that I am sure Theno will come to my rescue;)

Class act is Roque when fit. Deadly in front of gal, something we have missed so much.

Might actually improve Dunn's game too because he (Roque) makes those intelligent runs that require precision passes. That was a feature of Dunn's game once but he's put it away.

I can see Roque and Kalinic clicking.

By the way, if memory served me right his best partner was Roberts, right?

Yeah. Roque - like McCarthy - is fond of dropping deep and collecting the ball so he works best with a player who looks to stretch the opposition centre halves and run the channels. Roberts does this and so does MB Diouf so I would imagine it will be one of those two who will form the partnership with him.

ps. Kalinic is interesting. He has mainly played as a link up target man - very central, playing back to goal and laying the ball off. However easily his best game for us (until the red card anyway) against West Brom he played completely differently. He ran the channels and showed decent pace. Perhaps if he continues to pursue this approach then he would make a decent partner for Roque.

Surprise surprise the whingers are out already saying Roque did nothing for his 90k this week.

At least he showed today he has quality with his back to goal. People can complain about how much he's getting paid, but of course, these are the same people who say that Rovers aren't aiming high enough in the transfer window, the new owners aren't putting enough money up, and Steve Kean is not doing enough as a manager to deserve any praise.

Roque is quality, that costs money.

Surprise surprise the whingers are out already saying Roque did nothing for his 90k this week.

At least he showed today he has quality with his back to goal.........

Roque is quality, that costs money.

I don't think any footballer deserves to earn 90k p/w, but thats another issue. Roque is a class act. If you put aside his fitness issues he is one of the best targetmen in the game. Wins lots of headers, keeps the ball, clever when bringing other players in to play, physical enough to give centre halfs a tussle, good touch an technique an most importantly knows where the back of the net is.

If we can get them on the pitch enough then he and kalinic could prove to be a very decent partnership for us.

• Backroom

This was never a match worth judging him on. His importance to us has to be assessed by his impact in the games we think we can win. It would have been nice to have gotten something from Chelsea today, but Roque or not we were always likely to lose and be dominated for large periods.

thought he played very well on saturday all things considered.

his class is there for all to see. Has more ability in his toenail than roberts has in his entire body.

Welcome back rocky - V pleased to have you in the blue and white again.

thought he played very well on saturday all things considered.

his class is there for all to see. Has more ability in his toenail than roberts has in his entire body.

Welcome back rocky - V pleased to have you in the blue and white again.

I like how we've got a good variety of striker options now. In Roque, we have a good old-fashioned centre-forward, and to a much lesser extent Benjani; an off-the-shoulder type in Kalinic, and two pacey forwards in Mame and Roberts.

I like how we've got a good variety of striker options now. In Roque, we have a good old-fashioned centre-forward, and to a much lesser extent Benjani; an off-the-shoulder type in Kalinic, and two pacey forwards in Mame and Roberts.

I agree that the 5 strikers we have offer a good range but I think it's fair to say that none of them will ever be the 20 goal a season force we are crying out for, no matter what combination we use them in. Theoretically I think keep Kalinic, sign Diouf permanently along with Santa Cruz if he keeps fit and City aren't after a ridiculous fee then spend 10-12m in the Summer on someone who would be the first name on the team sheet each time.

Archived