BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Vs Blackburn Rovers

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its so funny that the key words now are "be more compact", "soft center", "2 strikers every game?", "no pressing", etc...

All characteristics of the previous manager's style of football.

We are NOT good enough to run over opponents playing expansive football every game. It isnt that simple. Therefore the tactics are very naive. Pure and simple.

I PM a member early am and told him that we must have a plan to keep Nzogbia quiet, we didnt, I also said we could well get done here, we did, we are too inexperienced in management, he is sitting here with a three year contract because he puts a lot of hours in!!!!

What the hell has that got to do with it, we needed an experienced man in when they sacked Sam, now they lose JW, despite their comments to the contrary, the owners have been exposed as untrustworthy and very stupid people, who, like Steve Kean are totally out of their depth.

Agree 100%,maybe Kean could have been the assistant manager.

Birmingham have 3 games to get 2 points which would get them out of the drop zone. If that happens then we're only 5 points above 18th, Wigan, and that's assuming neither Wolves or West Ham get out of the drop zone with their games in hand. Having lost six of our eleven games in all forms (six of ten against premier league opposition) we're hardly a form team, and with only three players missing from the squad (four if Kalinic is injured) it's not like we're struggling with a massive amount of injuries. To say we're not in any sort of relegation problems when we're on 31 points with poor goal difference is naive at best.

One concern in particular, highlighted in today's game, is that we've not had a clean sheet since Mr Kean took charge. Not had one since Sam's second last game in charge in fact. What was once a strength has quickly become a weakness. Not blaming anyone for that, just stating the fact.

Didnt we get a cleam sheet against west brom?

One concern in particular, highlighted in today's game, is that we've not had a clean sheet since Mr Kean took charge. Not had one since Sam's second last game in charge in fact. What was once a strength has quickly become a weakness. Not blaming anyone for that, just stating the fact.

It wasn't a strength back then - that's a myth

Oops. Yes apologies on that one, so we did. Hope that oversight doesn't take away from the fact we've had just one clean sheet in our last eleven against Premier League teams.

Was a position of strength last season RovertheHill, we had 14 clean sheets last year. This year we've had five.

Its so funny that the key words now are "be more compact", "soft center", "2 strikers every game?", "no pressing", etc...

All characteristics of the previous manager's style of football.

We are NOT good enough to run over opponents playing expansive football every game. It isnt that simple. Therefore the tactics are very naive. Pure and simple.

Yes and no really Bobby.

The main problem for me is the school boy defending from a certain captain over the last month or so.

He has cost us the game twice in less than a week now. I'm just glad Andrews wasn't playing today so that it might become clear to some that he isn't the cause of all our problems.

We have gone from playing awful football but grinding out results to playing good football and getting nothing out of games,hopefully Roque will be back,he has that bit of class that Roberts clearly lacks.

Unless I've made an error.

Sam's reign (this season)- 21 points from 17 games. 1.235 points per game

Kean's reign- 10 points from 9 games. 1.11111111 (etc) points per game

Yes Sam's record there is a bit better, but it's not massively dissimilar, though we all know which has been more entertaining. Until today, Kean's record was 10 points from 8, which is 1.25 points per game, marginally better. Just shows how little there is in it so far, a win in the next game could make it 13 points from 10 (1.3 points per game).

Point being? Far too early to judge whether we've lost our ability to get points.

Oops. Yes apologies on that one, so we did. Hope that oversight doesn't take away from the fact we've had just one clean sheet in our last eleven against Premier League teams.

Was a position of strength last season RovertheHill, we had 14 clean sheets last year. This year we've had five.

Four of those during Sam's almost-half-a-season. So Sam was letting it slip too.

Four of those during Sam's almost-half-a-season. So Sam was letting it slip too.

agree, not blaming the defense on Sam or Kean, it's been a real concern this whole year and needs fixing. I personally think we need two new fullbacks, a proper left back and a right back who can take fast wingers in games when Salgado can't.

agree, not blaming the defense on Sam or Kean, it's been a real concern this whole year and needs fixing. I personally think we need two new fullbacks, a proper left back and a right back who can take fast wingers in games when Salgado can't.

yeah you're right

Completely right imy, Givet is the key to our team right now. When he's out it rips a massive whole from our defence and attack. Olsson isn't a good enough defender and is wasted when playing there. What makes it worse that we seem to have no width at all of late as a result of this and Hoillet coming inside all the time.

Agreed the defense is a concern but I think it will be more settled if Givet was fit and Olsson played left wing.

I agree, but I thought we really could have done with strengthening the full back positions. We're stuck with what we've got now though.

Completely right imy, Givet is the key to our team right now. When he's out it rips a massive whole from our defence and attack. Olsson isn't a good enough defender and is wasted when playing there. What makes it worse that we seem to have no width at all of late as a result of this and Hoillet coming inside all the time.

Hope Givet is fit ASAP as I can see us struggling badly if he is off. 31 points with 12 games left, we have enough time to get safe and move further forward. I have confidence in what Kean is trying to do.

What makes it worse that we seem to have no width at all of late as a result of this and Hoillet coming inside all the time.

I thought we had plenty of width, plenty of crosses, more than we've ever had. Just no one to crack it in, or nod it back across.

Did this note in my head driving back from the match. No one spoke, just a stunned silence in the car.

Naïve and out of depth come to mind when thinking about Kean.

No consistency with selections other than, some would argue, consistently bad. Where oh where was Niko and why oh why have 3 similar midfielders on the bench (Keef, Sicknote & Nzonzi).

Think we’ve been too keen to dish out new contracts – Salgado, IMO, is going backwards, Roberts, no comment needed and for Nelsen & Samba, as senior pros in defence and recent defending, enough said.

As far the signings, one injured, as has been the case for most of his career, two ‘not ready yet’ and midfielder Jones who didn’t impress me on debut (and I got lambasted for saying that) and has impressed even less against Spurs and today.

A bleak day that follows a number of bleak days over the last couple of months or so.

The alarm bells are ringing loudly now and following the departures of Sam and JW, where is the wisdom and experience. If it aint broke then don’t try and fix it!

How many away from home?

Just back from the match.

What a load of crab. Samba giving goals away again. Defending as bad as I have seen all season. Steve Kean out of his depth. Tacticly niave today, and for those whou didnt go Wigan are the worse side I have seen all season. We are in deep ######.

Archived