BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Steve Kean Be Sacked?

492 members have voted

1. 1. Should Venky's Back or Sack Steve Kean?

• Back
    • Sack

Once again, there is a tailor made solution in Tony Parkes. Loves the club, has loads of experience at doing precisely what is needed. Will be happy to step down in May. Did a great job at Blackpool a couple of years ago after Grayson went to Leeds.

Then appoint someone new in the summer.

But I'm wasting my time. As someone has said, Venkys won't even know whoTony Parkes is, let alone what he's done or could do. And even if they did, they wouldn't make the right decision. They sacked Allardyce for goodness' sake.

Carry on.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning's LT reports that Venky's back Kean, a spokesman has told them that Kean retains their support, the rumours are not true and that Mrs Desai was not in London over the weekend. The LT tried to talk directly to the owned but they were not available for comment.

Never have I seen more lies in one report.

Funnily the fact that the Newsbunny did not report this proves to me

1) The integrity of this site is as good as always

2) That the story is as full of crap as Kean

Of course no-one on this board really know what has happened.

However, if she has come over to sack Kean, I can't see how the issue of saving face can come into it.

I suspect he has highlighted all the reasons why we haven't done as well as he wanted and has convinced her to keep him on longer becuase he will produce the results.

Now Maji, you and I realise this is highly unlikely but it probably difficult for Mrs Desai, who in the beginning, certainly, came over as an impressive character, to ask the right questions of him.

Kean obviously has a good tongue on him, as does Jerome. I think they (Venky's) are easily taken in by patter and that for me is a weakness you cannot have in football. I assume that if Mrs D came to England with the intent of sacking Kean then serious discussions must have taken place in reference to why he needed to go and surely there were very strong reasons to do so. So why flip flop round to backing him after a few minutes in his presence?

Having been in Mrs D's shoes before in similar but obviously less high profile situations a few well chosen words would not sway me from the reasons that would have been given previously, especially when nothing of substance IE a point was gained. Actions speak louder than words for me and even a spirited defeat for me is a still a defeat.

Trouble is for me the Rao's have never come across as impressive, as even their early pressers contained content that had me in stitches IE top 4. The comments about supporting the previous regime and so on and then doing what they did leads me to believe they tell us what they think we want to hear. since then they have either lowered their expectations or said what we wanted to hear IE stability and playing better, they are just telling fans what they think we want to hear IMO. I don't think even if they had the right questions they would Know the right answer from the wrong answer and anyway words mean nothing in football, 1000's of people talk a good game, very few can play one and I don't think they understand this.

I just feel that given the whole reason behind Venky's buying us was the promotion of their company that any decisions that could/will effect that image will be done with that thought hanging over them. I do believe Venky's stock has taken a right bashing since they started this little endeavour and it's no surprise as I wouldn't be investing my money given some of their decisions and public comments. For me Venky's need to be proven right on something Rovers and Kean is about all they have left after brother 'jerome ' was exiled. But they've been extremely public about him and his qualities and so removing him is going to make them look extremely foolish and it will be very public. The press will rip them to pieces given what they have said and I truly think they are scared of that backlash and how it will make them look.

Why are you so sure?

The trust were looking to sell the club for years, where are the Raos going to find a buyer from?

This isn't really the right thread but here we go...................

I believe the Raos had absolutely no idea what they were buying other than the idea of a PL club providing world-wide publicity. They admit to having no football knowledge and with that must go any depth of understanding of what a football club, especially one like Rovers, is about. I suspect the whole concept of what you, I and thousands of others get from being Rovers fans simply does not compute, for a European who doesn't enjoy football it's hard, for people from India I suspect it's nigh on impossible.

Having arrived and made some disastrous decisions, which may may have turned the players against the new management, and certainly now has the vast majority of the support against their regime, it would seem a reasonable decision to get out as soon as possible. Privately acknowledge the enormous error of judgement in purchasing the club, cash in and leave.

Others can comment on this better than me but in my opinion the situation is this:

Venky's paid +/- £23m for the club

Debt etc appears to have been moved to another company (Venky's London?)

The current spending, compensation, increased wages is being funded from the new Barclays mortgage

The grand plan of achieving 5-7th with "leased players" has failed utterly

Come the end of the season there is the opportunity to, in my opinion:

Sell the valued players and repay the debt in Venky's London - we don't know how much this is (£23m plus the original club debt anyone?)

Pay off the mortgage via the TV money it is secured against

Put the club in administration

OR

Shut the club down, somehow retain ownership of the ground and Brockhall and sell them off when the time is right to take back the initial purchase

Walk away

My financial knowledge is far to skimpy to be able to work all of this out but, in my experience, people do not go into these deals without having previously planned an emergency exit strategy.

If I was in this position I would want out as fast as possible.

It seems to me the failure to dismiss Kean could be a cost saving measure - his salary plus whatever the new man would demand.

The other big pointer for me is this; the owners have a rapidly failing business on their hands, the product is proving to be very poor, the customers are enormously unhappy with the service they are receiving. In this situation I would expect daily hands-on management to steady the ship and make every improvement possible. In my own way I have twice experienced a crisis in the businesses I worked for - our reaction was to get stuck in and sort things out - FAST. On both occassions we turned crisis into success. I am not aware of there being any such direct involvement with club management from the Rao family. There is no one at Ewood - which is not a slur on Tom Finn

After reading the LT statement from the Venky's spokesperson I feel like we have no option other than to support the team and Steve kean. He will probably relegate us as he is totally clueless, but at least we maintain some dignity in the process. No point in booing the team or Kean as it will not help matters at all. It will only serve to upset Venky's further and make them more likely to ruin us when we get relegated. This is really sad.

Kean obviously has a good tongue on him, as does Jerome. I think they (Venky's) are easily taken in by patter and that for me is a weakness you cannot have in football. I assume that if Mrs D came to England with the intent of sacking Kean then serious discussions must have taken place in reference to why he needed to go and surely there were very strong reasons to do so. So why flip flop round to backing him after a few minutes in his presence?

Just to add to this as it goes with my previous post. In my mid-20s I worked for a hi-tech company funded by UK pension funds. I got back from holiday to discover the board had been sacked and we were days from being closed. Myself and the other two senior managers wrote a business plan, went to the pension funds and asked for money. In our naievity we told the truth of the situation, how we as the daily management knew things were. We didn't know any other way, nor did we think there was one. The pension funds gave us the money and told us our story was so radically different from the one they had previously been "sold" it had to be true.

The press will rip them to pieces given what they have said and I truly think they are scared of that backlash and how it will make them look.

I take on board the comments you have written.

What I can't really understand-like you-if Mrs Desai came to sack Kean, she didn't do so.I can't believe he will have told her how stupid she would look if he were to be sacked.

I can believe he might have told her about the "unlucky" penalty,the unfortunate injury to Roque preventing him playing, the not quite full match fitness of Hoilett, which is why he came off, the break down in training by a very talented midfielder (Grella), the tremendous amount of hard work he had put in since the previous loss and finally how the whole squad was behind him.

In these circumstances-and I repeat this is only speculation-I can understand Mrs Desai waivering.

I just don't agree with her stance!!

This type of story infuriates the hell out of me, it may work in Pune BUT JUST SAYING SOMETHING DOES NOT MAKE IT FRICKEN SO!

Cryer hang your head in shame, journalistic integrity mean anything? No I doubt it, you have been copying and pasting everything you have been given for months in regards to our owners. Dig man, get the correct info and run that for Gods sake.

I suppose I should be accepting and not surprised at the press not doing what they claim is their stated job. Running the truth and not someones fabrication. What has happened to them all? What has happened to make the easy story more attractive than the truth?

Makes me sick.

Rovers co-owner Venkatesh Rao insists there is no truth in the rumours and claims they remain committed to Kean.

He is very much there, he has just signed a contract and we like him a lot, he is very enthusiastic and he is very positive."

Rao admitted they were concerned by Blackburn's poor run of form, but he remains confident of Premier League survival.

"Yes, we are very concerned [with results], but we are now trying to improve all aspects," added Rao.

"Plans are looking very positive and I am sure in the future we will do something better."

This type of story infuriates the hell out of me, it may work in Pune BUT JUST SAYING SOMETHING DOES NOT MAKE IT FRICKEN SO!

Cryer hang your head in shame, journalistic integrity mean anything? No I doubt it, you have been copying and pasting everything you have been given for months in regards to our owners. Dig man, get the correct info and run that for Gods sake.

I suppose I should be accepting and not surprised at the press not doing what they claim is their stated job. Running the truth and not someones fabrication. What has happened to them all? What has happened to make the easy story more attractive than the truth?

Makes me sick.

I can tell you this, Andy Cryer has a tough task, how does he report correctly when he is dealing with people who tomorrrow will deny or change everything they have said today, in my book these people are lying, but thats simply my opinion, they believe that we have to hold on to every word they say because they own the club, that in India is what they do, stupid I know but that is their culture. Now love the clown or hate him (and I cant even look at the guys picture now without feeling physically sick) the Blackpool game is massive, we must all be united behind the team for that game and lets give ourselves the best chance possible of retaining our premier league status, we have to do that as the manager doesnt have a clue. Once we have done that, we lobby him out big style and demand he leaves our club, leave season tickets until just prior to the season, that will hurt Venkys and maybe force them into action.

I do not want Steve Kean anywhere near Rovers, I dont trust him one little bit, but for the good of the club, lets get behind the lads and hopefully get the points neccesssary to stay up.

Rovers co-owner Venkatesh Rao insists there is no truth in the rumours and claims they remain committed to Kean.

He is very much there, he has just signed a contract and we like him a lot, he is very enthusiastic and he is very positive."

Rao admitted they were concerned by Blackburn's poor run of form, but he remains confident of Premier League survival.

"Yes, we are very concerned [with results], but we are now trying to improve all aspects," added Rao.

"Plans are looking very positive and I am sure in the future we will do something better."

Phew, what are we fretting for? :rolleyes:

Mistake No.4 and counting, they just don't learn.

Does anyone actually believe the article? It just sounds as if they are trying to calm the situation. If the Raos mean business - they will sack Steve.

Never have so many lies been told by so few in such a small timescale. Why would the papers make up that our owners flew into London for talks? The papers couldn't care less about us.

They had no problem sacking Sam who had a far better record in charge and had us in the top half. Yet a coach who has proven incapable of performing the tasks asked of him gets more time. Pathetic. Venky's deserve the results this decision will end with but we as fans do not.

Guest roverspogges

I hope in 5 years time we can look back on all of this, as a top half prem team consistently challenging and qualifying for Europe, and see it as a troubling time that we managed to escape. With Kean in charge it could be away at Torquay in a league two relegation six pointer.

I can tell you this, Andy Cryer has a tough task, how does he report correctly when he is dealing with people who tomorrrow will deny or change everything they have said today, in my book these people are lying, but thats simply my opinion, they believe that we have to hold on to every word they say because they own the club, that in India is what they do, stupid I know but that is their culture. Now love the clown or hate him (and I cant even look at the guys picture now without feeling physically sick) the Blackpool game is massive, we must all be united behind the team for that game and lets give ourselves the best chance possible of retaining our premier league status, we have to do that as the manager doesnt have a clue. Once we have done that, we lobby him out big style and demand he leaves our club, leave season tickets until just prior to the season, that will hurt Venkys and maybe force them into action.

I do not want Steve Kean anywhere near Rovers, I dont trust him one little bit, but for the good of the club, lets get behind the lads and hopefully get the points neccesssary to stay up.

That therein lies the crux of the matter Kelbo, if he knows that they change their story every five minutes and knows what really happened, why would he not run with that? That is his job is it not, to find the truth no mater where it leads? If not then Newspapers should be relegated to the fiction section of the nearest James Thin were they belong. Is there in any doubt why these rags of reckless rot are becoming nothing better than fish and chip wrappers? I will support Rovers to my dying day, and beyond actually, it is in my will to be placed in a shirt as I trundle down towards the incinerator, but I will not support lies and suppression of the truth.

The team is all that matters to me now, I have been a critic of Andrews, but I will never boo him - if he plays well I will cheer him. I will be as loud as anyone and a damn sight more maniacal with my spiels of advice but I will be behind them, every step of the decent. I just wish they played like the hero's they are to me.

Mistake No.4 and counting, they just don't learn.

4?

Giving credit where it is not due much.

I am yet to see a correct decision, it is damn near looking like they are doing it on purpose. There is more common sense, credibility, and tact at a pre World War One Punch and Judy show.

I take on board the comments you have written.

What I can't really understand-like you-if Mrs Desai came to sack Kean, she didn't do so.I can't believe he will have told her how stupid she would look if he were to be sacked.

I can believe he might have told her about the "unlucky" penalty,the unfortunate injury to Roque preventing him playing, the not quite full match fitness of Hoilett, which is why he came off, the break down in training by a very talented midfielder (Grella), the tremendous amount of hard work he had put in since the previous loss and finally how the whole squad was behind him.

In these circumstances-and I repeat this is only speculation-I can understand Mrs Desai waivering.

I just don't agree with her stance!!

Sorry I'm not saying Kean would have gone in and said 'she will lose face', more that Mrs D and Venky's will be thinking about it and it will influence their decisions. I see the alleged change in stance as being indicative of that and that character trait of Mrs D's being our downfall.

I could possibly have seen things differently if we had been unlucky in that we'd had pens turned down or we'd missed good chances or Schwarzer had had a blinder, but none of that occurred. The unlucky pen was a evening things up exercise for Hanleys tackle not seconds before, hence Hanley being the offender for nothing. We knew Clattenburg was under pressure and we gave him plenty to think about as we could easily have been down to 10 as well. I see luck occurring but not in the manner that we were unlucky, I think we were lucky at times against Fulham and you don't get anywhere riding your luck in football.

We were not unlucky against Fulham we were lucky not to come away worse off. Keans sub took the wind out of our sails again against them and we were put on the back foot and conceded a pen, bad decisions not bad luck IMO. Bringing on Rochina as well, given all the fans hankering for him to play recently, just makes me think Kean is also feeling the pressure and is listening to what has been said. Especially when I consider RSC and Kalinic were on the bench and so should have been fit enough to play.

The trouble is your right and Mrs D wouldn't know good football talk from bad as proven by all that has occurred since they bought our club.

if Steve Kean, felt anything for this club, he would of resigned by now, He is not capable of managing a Premership football team, his tatics, team selection over the last weeks have been dire. I am afraid to say with this guy in charge we are doomed!!! We should of never sacked BIG SAM, if he was still here now, we would be sitting mid table without a doubt, unlike the big bloody mess we have got ourselves in now!!!

if Steve Kean, felt anything for this club, he would of resigned by now, He is not capable of managing a Premership football team, his tatics, team selection over the last weeks have been dire. I am afraid to say with this guy in charge we are doomed!!! We should of never sacked BIG SAM, if he was still here now, we would be sitting mid table without a doubt, unlike the big bloody mess we have got ourselves in now!!!

Surely the recent results tells Kean he is not up to it - no harm in being honest and walking away.

Archived