BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brown: 'Brad Friedel is the best goalkeeper Blackburn have ever had'

Brad for me, I lost count of the number of games in which he won us the points. There were matches where he just looked unbeatable, a real superman :) Always came across as intelligent as well, he'll make a fantastic goalkeeping coach one day.

I almost was going to post that Flowers is our best ever 'Keeper based on the VE day game against Newcastle, still to this day I have no idea how he kept out Newcastle, I could barely watch.

We have been very lucky with the quality of keepers that we have had available.

Terry G was a firm favourite of mine, excellent player and a very decent bloke as well doing a great deal of local charity work.

Flowers was very good for the Rovers. Passionate, dedicated and successful and is quite rightly highly regarded by the fans.

Brad Friedal was something else however. Brilliant performer, season after season. Tremendous player for the club and surely the greatest goalkeeper I have seen since in our colours since the early 70's. Legend for our club in the truest sense of that overused description.

We didn't call him Sir Roger Jones for nothing. We were sh*t but always had Sir Roger ,until Newcastle stole him and misused him.

But Brad was the best cos he played against the best. And we thought he would stay until he retired!!

Roger Jones for me.

If he had been about today with the extended media coverage and improved medical treatment I am certain he would have been drafted into the top flight much earlier in his career and quickly been regarded as world class.

And I obviously don't say that lightly having seen the outstanding Friedel as well.

Remember when Souey bought Brad and the consensus was 'why do we need that Friedel when we have Filan and Alan Kelly?'

:unsure:

Don't forget that Flowers played behind a championship winning back four for at least three seasons, and Brad has had to play behind some god damn awful defences. Having said that, as a sixteen year old at Ewood on VE day, I nearly cried at Flowers performance agains the Toon. Overall though, Friedel by a mile.

Just to make it even more infuriating, I was listening to a five live commentary last season involving Fulham and 'expert' summariser Mark Bright reckoned that Clint Dempsey was the best ever American to play in the top flight.

CLOWN

Just to make it even more infuriating, I was listening to a five live commentary last season involving Fulham and 'expert' summariser Mark Bright reckoned that Clint Dempsey was the best ever American to play in the top flight.

CLOWN

He isn't even the best American to play for FULHAM!

*slaps forehead*

When I read your post, I read it as "best one currently playing for Fulham" and my brain just jumped to the injured Holden for some reason.

oops.

Anyways, Its still off the topic of Big Brad :P

Some day, I'd still like to get the real story about why he retired internationally. I still think he and the USa coach at the time, Arena, had some dust up... Keller was a fine goalie, but Brad was, is, and liekly will always be a better keeper. Brad is still playing well above average in the Prem... Keller is an average to slightly above average MLS keeper these days.

Too young to remember anyone before Bobby Mimms, so my opinion is based on Premiership football alone:

1: Sir Brad

2: Robbo

3: Flowers

I loved Flowers as a kid, I was always him in the playground, but Robbo is an outstanding all-round goalkeeper, topped only by Friedel.

Without doubt I would select Friedel as the best 'keeper I've seen at the Rovers over the past 50 years. After Brad, I think I'd put Flowers just ahead of Roger Jones, Fred Else and Terry Gennoe.

Ditto. Although I might have added two more to those runners up... Paul Bradshaw and Shane Given notwithstanding that we sold both at an early age.

Ditto. Although I might have added two more to those runners up... Paul Bradshaw and Shane Given notwithstanding that we sold both at an early age.

Paul Bradshaw was a very good keeper. Cannot remember what happened to him after Rovers.

Does anyone remember playing Rochdale @ spotland in the 70's when Roger Jones played.

Rochdale score with a great shoot into the roof of the net and the ball nestled at the bottom against a loose peg at the back.

A Rovers fan leaned over removed the peg, pulled the ball out behind the goal, shouted at Roger Jones who screamed at the ref that the ball hadn't gone in, and the ref gave a goal kick. Classic!!!

Does anyone remember playing Rochdale @ spotland in the 70's when Roger Jones played.

Rochdale score with a great shoot into the roof of the net and the ball nestled at the bottom against a loose peg at the back.

A Rovers fan leaned over removed the peg, pulled the ball out behind the goal, shouted at Roger Jones who screamed at the ref that the ball hadn't gone in, and the ref gave a goal kick. Classic!!!

I was at that game but I was down the other end and couldn't see what was going on. Thanks for solving a mystery.

Friedel is the number one for me, about as close as bricking up the goal in his prime.

fantastic1.jpg

Flowers had bottle and deserves 2nd.

Mimms holds the record for clean sheets but in that season there were 46 league games and the footballs were lets say a lot heavier and predictable in those days.

I thought John Filan had an excellent season for us before he broke his arm and the worst without doubt has to go to Alan Fettis!

Indeed. Was that also the game where Barry Endean missed a sitter from an inch out, kneeing it over the bar?

Archived