BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brown: 'Brad Friedel is the best goalkeeper Blackburn have ever had'

Friedel.

No contest.

The fact he's still playing top-level football at his age just shows what a phenomenal goalkeeper and athlete he is. We were honoured to get the best of him.

• Backroom

In my time it's Friedel, Flowers was brilliant for us but Friedel was immense.

Incidentally both of them were suspect on direct free kicks I thought.

Brad by a mile, probably saw about 1 goal per season I could blame him for, which is exceptional - I reckon I only see Schmeichel as being better in my time watching football. Flowers / Robbo both pretty similar - solid but with the occasional lapse.

Villa fan I work with reckons Brad's the best he's seen there too - and they didnt see him at his prime!

Rovers Greatest Goalkeeper compiled by den a few years ago'

Final result:

BRFCS .com members have decided on the goalkeeper to be the first nomination for the "best ever team" The outright winner is:

Brad Friedel

Final figures:

Brad Friedel 65 votes [40.88%]

Tim Flowers 45 votes [28.3%]

Terry Gennoe 24 votes [15.09%]

Roger Jones 16 votes [10.06%]

Fred Else 5 votes [3.14%]

Harry Leylans 3 votes [1.89%]

Jim Arnold 1 vote [0.63%]

CLICK HERE

Sir Roger Jones, did his turn when we where really sh1t, and went a good way to keep us as a recognised football club.

Couldn't agree more , I will never forget that night at Bolton in 73, when Faz scored the winner near the end .... True Rovers legends both of them.

We have been blessed with some quality keepers over the years. There's not been many periods when getting a decent keeper in has been a major worry.

Flowers was always a favourite, great attitude- 'BOTTLE'. But yeah, Brad was the ultimate.

I'm surprised neither Butcher, Ramsbottom or Collier have had a mention!

Apologies i's the "best" keepers - so Brad has to be the best - nobody else has been our keeper at the top flight

However I'd put Roger Jones and Terry Gennoe up there as the best we could have at the level the club were at at the time - if you know what I mean

Couldn't agree more , I will never forget that night at Bolton in 73, when Faz scored the winner near the end .... True Rovers legends both of them.

Bloody hell was it that long ago. 33000 on wasn't it

Sir Roger Jones

Always remember his 1st home game. BBE he pulled off a save diving full length to his right that had the whole ground applauding.

He kept doing that, game in game out

Has to be Friedel.

Flowers could be dodgy on crosses.

We only saw Gennoe & Sir Roger Jones at 2nd/3rd Division level.

Anyone remember Paul Bradshaw (1970s). He was a decent keeper.

Adam Blacklaw (late 1960's)Scottish international.

And Mark Grew on loan from Port Vale (1991) was a hit with the fans.

Bloody hell was it that long ago. 33000 on wasn't it

Aye, 38 years ago and a great crowd for the old 3rd Division. I remember the sports headlines in one of the papers the following day. The picture was a train that had stopped behind the Embankment, presumably the driver & co were watching the game. The caption mentioned 33k Lancastrians at the match. Twas a good night!

Regarding goalkeepers, yes, we always had a good 'un or at least most of the time. I tend to think of Roger Jones, Terry Gennoe and Tim Flowers as being up there, Booby Mimms wasn't bad either, with 19 clean sheets in that first PL season, but I have to say that Brad was the greatest.

Archived