BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn squad 2011-2012

If we believe some the reports that the press are printing it would appear like we would not make any signings due to not having a pot to relieve our-selfs in. We have been linked to a host top players during this transfer window and the reality is now hitting home that Venkys ambitions are not matched by their wallets. We have seen our future captain Phil Jones complete a 16.5 million pound transfer to Manchester United, Santa Cruz , Jermaine Jones and MB Diouf return to their parent clubs. EH Diouf appears to have played his last game for the club along with Kalinic and we have seen Benjani depart after his 1 year contract expired. Thats 7 players gone from the club this window with rumors of Samba, Andrews, MGP, Nzonzi and Grella to follow suit. With three weeks left until the reverse of our last premier league fixture we are hitting the panic butting. Depression amongst us the fans is at a all time high, something I have never experienced in my time as a fan. So my question is just how bad would it be if we did NOT complete a deal for a player before the window slams shut or better still before the Wolves match in three weeks time. Currently here is our squad list.

1 Paul Robinson

3 Martin Olsson

4 Christopher Samba

5 Gael Givet

6 Ryan Nelsen

7 Brett Emerton

8 David Dunn

10 Mauro Formica

11 Vincenzo Grella

12 Morten Gamst Pedersen

13 Mark Bunn

14 Amine Linganzi

15 Steven Nzonzi

17 Keith Andrews

20 Ruben Rochina

23 David Hoilett

26 Herold Goulon

27 Michel Salgado

29 Gavin Gunning

30 Jason Roberts

31 Grant Hanley

33 Josh Morris

35 Jason Lowe

37 Zac Aley

38 Robbie Cotton

If I was the manager with that squad come Sat 13th August Vs Wolves heres the team I would pick

---------------------- Paul Robinson ------------------------

Michel Salgado - Christopher Samba - Ryan Nelsen - Gael Givet

--------------- Amine Linganzi - Steven Nzonzi ---------------

David Hoilett ---------------------------------- Martin Olsson

----------------Ruben Rochina - Jason Roberts ----------------

Subs

Mark Bunn

Grant Hanley

Jason Lowe

David Dunn

Morten Gamst Pedersen

Mauro Formica

Brett Emerton

Could this team beat wolves? In my opinion yes. Could this team survive relegation? In my opinion yes. IF we stay injury free all season then we could look forward to another relegation bound season but I believe their is enough there to just survive. Staying injury free is not going to happen though and we have only 2 strikers currently at the club ( If Kalinic leaves which looks like he will ) so the question of were are the goals coming from will be asked for the third season running. Just how bad is our current squad? I don't think its that bad at all, in fact its a strong foundation for a top 10 team if only we signed 3-4 quality players.

What team would you pick for the first game of the season using our current squad list and would it survive another season in the premier league?

Forgive me for not really thinking this through properly, but assuming the team you name there, is the team to start the game, then look at that bench. - and that's with everyone fit and no-one suspended. You shouldn't be asking could that team beat Wolves, rather how will that squad cope in a full season, taking into account that very few of them would play anywhere near a full season.

To me, that's a relegation squad.

If we believe some the reports that the press are printing it would appear like we would not make any signings due to not having a pot to relieve our-selfs in. We have been linked to a host top players during this transfer window and the reality is now hitting home that Venkys ambitions are not matched by their wallets. We have seen our future captain Phil Jones complete a 16.5 million pound transfer to Manchester United, Santa Cruz , Jermaine Jones and MB Diouf return to their parent clubs. EH Diouf appears to have played his last game for the club along with Kalinic and we have seen Benjani depart after his 1 year contract expired. Thats 7 players gone from the club this window with rumors of Samba, Andrews, MGP, Nzonzi and Grella to follow suit. With three weeks left until the reverse of our last premier league fixture we are hitting the panic butting. Depression amongst us the fans is at a all time high, something I have never experienced in my time as a fan. So my question is just how bad would it be if we did NOT complete a deal for a player before the window slams shut or better still before the Wolves match in three weeks time. Currently here is our squad list.

1 Paul Robinson

3 Martin Olsson

4 Christopher Samba

5 Gael Givet

6 Ryan Nelsen

7 Brett Emerton

8 David Dunn

10 Mauro Formica

11 Vincenzo Grella

12 Morten Gamst Pedersen

13 Mark Bunn

14 Amine Linganzi

15 Steven Nzonzi

17 Keith Andrews

20 Ruben Rochina

23 David Hoilett

26 Herold Goulon

27 Michel Salgado

29 Gavin Gunning

30 Jason Roberts

31 Grant Hanley

33 Josh Morris

35 Jason Lowe

37 Zac Aley

38 Robbie Cotton

If I was the manager with that squad come Sat 13th August Vs Wolves heres the team I would pick

---------------------- Paul Robinson ------------------------

Michel Salgado - Christopher Samba - Ryan Nelsen - Gael Givet

--------------- Amine Linganzi - Steven Nzonzi ---------------

David Hoilett ---------------------------------- Martin Olsson

----------------Ruben Rochina - Jason Roberts ----------------

Subs

Mark Bunn

Grant Hanley

Jason Lowe

David Dunn

Morten Gamst Pedersen

Mauro Formica

Brett Emerton

Could this team beat wolves? In my opinion yes. Could this team survive relegation? In my opinion yes. IF we stay injury free all season then we could look forward to another relegation bound season but I believe their is enough there to just survive. Staying injury free is not going to happen though and we have only 2 strikers currently at the club ( If Kalinic leaves which looks like he will ) so the question of were are the goals coming from will be asked for the third season running. Just how bad is our current squad? I don't think its that bad at all, in fact its a strong foundation for a top 10 team if only we signed 3-4 quality players.

What team would you pick for the first game of the season using our current squad list and would it survive another season in the premier league?

Interesting, you have missed out one player who has gone to Hong Kong and left one in who hasnt!!! ;)

Depressing. Not sure it's a relegation squad when compared to the 3 coming up but apart from that it is nowhere near the quality you need. I would expect to lose 2 or 3 out the door before the kick off and maybe get a couple of loanees in to compensate so it's going to be a struggle and we need a good start.

Worst thing is though, if we have no money, as it seems we don't, future years will get worse as our wage bill must still be quite high in relation to whats coming in and we haven't got many decent player left to sell to make up the losses. Under curent management we really need to try and bring in some younger players and try and survuve through sales but if we can't even aford to do that it's going to be tough in the next couple of years.

i think we have a team that would survive relegation, but in no way could we achieve top 10. we have to hope Holiett, Robinson and Samba stay well away from injurys cus in my view, they are our 3 best players. players such as Olsson and Nzonzi are bright talents but they need to add more to their game in terms of goals and creative flair. whilst currently we are relying on Formica or Rochina to suprise us all and have a storming first full season, the latter in my opinion will be a key player by december.

using the current squad without the obvious depatures i would play this team vs Wolves.

GK: Robinson

DR: Salgado

DL: Givet

DC: Samba

DC: Nelsen

DMC: Nzonzi

DMC: Emerton

AMR: Holiett

AMC: Rochina

AML: Olsson

ST: Roberts

this is how i will rate it if we are taking 4-4-2

Paul Robinson - standard top 4 playaer

Michel Salgado - higher Championship standard

Christopher Samba - top 6 player

Ryan Nelsen - top 12 player (taking age into account)

Gael Givet top 10 player

Amine Linganzi Championship player

Steven Nzonzi top 12 player

David Hoilett top 6 player

Martin Olsson top 6 player

Ruben Rochina Looks great for the future but currently higher championship

Jason Roberts midtable championship player

So I highlight my weaknesses as RB, CM, CF CF

I would predict mainly due to the weaknesses in key areas a finish of anywhere for 16th to 19th.

Although have to keep in mind that Kean is very unexperienced so most likely relegated.

But 4 players away from being a top 8-10 team. Ofcourse the strikers is the most expensive and difficult area to find players.

Gael Givet top 10 player

I would predict mainly due to the weaknesses in key areas a finish of anywhere for 16th to 19th.

Although have to keep in mind that Kean is very unexperienced so most likely relegated.

But 4 players away from being a top 8-10 team. Ofcourse the strikers is the most expensive and difficult area to find players.

Now I dont agree with many of your posts Chris but you are not too far away there!!

Just out of interest how well do people think the promoted teams have strengthened?

I can't see any one of them setting the league alight so our safety could rest at the ineptitude of others.

Wigan haven't done much either, However wolves have bought well.

I would think with a couple of shrewd loans we may just scrape enough points to stay up but I certainly wouldn't be banking on it.

1 Paul Robinson

3 Martin Olsson

4 Christopher Samba

5 Gael Givet

6 Ryan Nelsen

7 Brett Emerton

8 David Dunn

10 Mauro Formica

11 Vincenzo Grella

12 Morten Gamst Pedersen

13 Mark Bunn

14 Amine Linganzi

15 Steven Nzonzi

17 Keith Andrews

20 Ruben Rochina

23 David Hoilett

26 Herold Goulon

27 Michel Salgado

29 Gavin Gunning

30 Jason Roberts

31 Grant Hanley

33 Josh Morris

35 Jason Lowe

37 Zac Aley

38 Robbie Cotton

Looking at the squad you list I'd suggest 15 can be seen as established PL players, two of those, Dunn and Grella, carry questionmarks over their long term fitness which means we have only 13 senior experienced players including two keepers. This seems to me to be a long way short of the number most clubs think needed to give themselves a shot at PL stability.

The big concern I have is player motivation. With all that has happened at Ewood in recent months, and the problems seem to have gathered momentum through the summer, I do wonder what will happen if we suffer a run of poor results or worse make a bad start.. In all seriousness I can see Rovers struggling to gain ten points by the end of November - beating Wolves and Everton is crucial for me. How the players and the fans react will be interesting.

So, yes, on paper I think this squad has relegation written right through it - I hope I'm wrong and the youngsters step up and take the opportunity available to them. For the majority I just don't know if they are good enough.

I actually analyzed the side on my blog yesterday:

http://bornblueandwhite.tumblr.com/

Anyway I'd probably go for this side at the moment:

Robinson

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

Nzonzi Emerton

Formica Hoilett Olsson

Rochina(assuming Niko won't play)

We definitely need a minimum of 2 strikers. When one's like Dodo and Carew are around for free, I don't see the harm in at least trialing them.

I think the main thing we have in our favour is the poor quality of the promoted sides.

I think any relegation battle would be them 3, us and Wigan if they lose N'Zogbia.

Our starting fixtures are not very nice. If we loose or do not win in any of the first 3 or 4 we really are in trouble. Especially with our shocking away from being very poor for several season. I also expect lots of team to really have a go at Rovers home and away.

Bold games at home

Wolves

Villa

Everton

Fulham

Arsenal

Newcastle

Man City

Of course the transfer window is still open so a few players could really change the outlook.

in my opinion one of the worst squads i have seen at rovers in 20 years, no quality strikers and a midfield devoid of creativity, samba, olsson and robinson are our only capable players and theyre all defenders in some form or another. At least the team that went down in 99 had some class players in it, jansen, duff, dunn etc. This team doesnt even have that, bar hoillet, who is our only genuine quality attacking player.

My prediction for the line up vs Wolves...

Robinson

Salgado

Nelsen

Samba

Givet

Emerton

Andrews

N'Zonzi

Olsson

Hoilett

Roberts

To be honest, I don't think its too bad. Could certainly do with 2 or 3 quality additions, also a bit more depth. Lots of unknown quantities and people struggling fitness wise. In all honesty, I think our midfield is our strongest area (particularly in terms of depth). If we lose Samba or Hoilett, I think we are really struggling.

Gael Givet top 10 player

Chris, seriously? LOL!

Our best 11 would probably finish at least 17th this coming season, but it's ridiculous to expect our first 11 to not pick up any injuries or suspensions throughout the season. Once they do, we will be in serious trouble because we won't have any decent players to come into the squad to replace them. It's squad depth that's an issue for us currently.

However, that said... we HAVE lost 2 key players in J Jones and P Jones and we're about to lose Kalinic who was our top scorer last season and despite being pretty subpar, we've also lost M Diouf who provided us with 5 goals last season.

If there are no additions, relegation-bound squad. Any team with Jason Roberts as the first choice striker will not stay up in the premier league. Any team that is rejected by Benjani does not deserve to stay up. We have also not resolved the midfield problem (lack of a fit creative midfielder). So if Venky's continue to hold back in the transfer market, good bye premier league.

But if we do something positive in the next four weeks, there is still potential to finish mid-table. I think we need four players - a solid defender, a full back who can cover left and right back positions, a creative midfielder and a good striker. In an ideal world, Onuoha may be able to cover both defensive positions. I would go straight in for Krancjar for the creative midfield position and someone like Defoe or Crouch for the striker. Witsel would have been good, but the boat has sailed. Honda will never happen, but imagine what it would do for Rovers' marketing in Japan.

I have been very disappointed by Venky's, but frankly, I have not been excited by the signings made by the other teams around us. Frankly, only Man U and to some extent, Liverpool, have done well this window. I don't feel like we've been beaten to any gems by the teams which will compete with us for survival, but its really time for the Venkers to strengthen the squad. Four weeks to recitfy their mistakes, though frankly, I am not optimistic.

If there are no additions, relegation-bound squad. Any team with Jason Roberts as the first choice striker will not stay up in the premier league.

Totally agree with this. The main issue is that we really really need someone (probably 2 people) who score goals.

After that crucial weakness our next concern is how the youngsters develop. Our season is going to be defined by what the likes of Hoilett, Olsson, Nzonzi, Linganzi, Lowe, Hanley, Rochina, Formica and Morris bring to the table. Hoilett is an exceptional talent, Olsson and Nzonzi look well up to the job, but after that it is a bit of a guessing game. With so many unknowns out there it is hard to judge the quality of the squad.

Totally agree with this. The main issue is that we really really need someone (probably 2 people) who score goals.

After that crucial weakness our next concern is how the youngsters develop. Our season is going to be defined by what the likes of Hoilett, Olsson, Nzonzi, Linganzi, Lowe, Hanley, Rochina, Formica and Morris bring to the table. Hoilett is an exceptional talent, Olsson and Nzonzi look well up to the job, but after that it is a bit of a guessing game. With so many unknowns out there it is hard to judge the quality of the squad.

I know. Exciting times though, yes?

If there are no additions, relegation-bound squad. Any team with Jason Roberts as the first choice striker will not stay up in the premier league.

I think you are being a bit unfair there vyeo. After Santa Cruz, Benjani, Diouff and Kalinic had shown themselves to be ineffective in the relegation scrap we were in desperate straits - Kean went back to Roberts for the final run in. We all know his limitations and I have been as critical as most but in those last few games he was priceless. I might even go as far to say that if we had used the other attacking alternatives, we would have gone down. Analyse his contribution in the last game if you don't believe me.

Archived