BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Goodwille

Guest Rovers4Good

I'm not saying he will become a good PL player or anything like that, but his performance on Saturday was good. He pressed the ball, he passed it well, he got into some good positions, and he provided a decent outlet.

You're right in questioning what attributes he has that will make him a good player in this league. He seems to be ok at most things but doesn't have any standout attributes.

If he can become more aggressive and get himself fitter and stronger so that he can be more of a nuisance, then I think he can be a decent squad player for us. If they could be his defining qualities, supported by decent technique, decent pace and decent finishing ability (he WILL score a curler from outside the area soon, he's gone close numerous times) then he'll be ok squad striker. For £2 million you can't expect much more than that really.

Looking at him i don't think he can get better and think he's about as good as he's gonna get :(

Not a premiership player and defo not a prolific striker by any means :(

Sorry to get the fans backs up but prefer Roberts to him.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at him i don't think he can get better and think he's about as good as he's gonna get :(

Not a premiership player and defo not a prolific striker by any means :(

Sorry to get the fans backs up but prefer Roberts to him.

So do I.

Goodwillie is almost 23.

Guest Rovers4Good

You lot are to quick to judge, give the lad a chance he has hardly played but has improved, same with petrovic.

Oh dear next you're going to be telling that Petrovic is a good player? :)

Oh dear next you're going to be telling that Petrovic is a good player? :)

Dont know he is improving looked the best player in the short time he was on against fulham and his passing is really good.

Same with goodwillie ive not seen enough to write him off.

Neither has anyone else but I dont understand why so many of our fans cant wait to put the boot in and boo our own players.

Its like they just willingly want them to be awful.

Give them a chance and SUPPORT them, they may suprise you.

It cant be easy for a player to come here and adapt to a different level/country and hit the ground running in a team that is destroyed by injuries and started the season playing poor with fans on their backs and protesting.

Another goal for this lad! thats 3 in 4.

Much better than Kalinic, not stong enough as the lone striker imo. But he works himself into the ground. Looking up a bit more today and is looking quicker. Hopefully more improvement and more to come.

Its easy to have a go at him but 3 goals in 4 games is good form, he is paid to score goals.

I still think he's coming to terms with how much fitter and sharper he has to be in this league than up in Scotland. He was obviously not in the right shape when he arrived, and he must have worked hard in that spell out of the team because he's definitely improved physically.

He's never going to be a world beater, but as £2 million squad player I think he'll be ok. I hope he's one of those strikers who has a knack of being in the right place to score scruffy goals.

The main problem ishe is not up to the pace of the league yet.

The Fulham game they stood off him more and he had more time. Today he didnt, he has good idea's most of the time but is always that second behind with his excution, so either he doesnt make his run quite quick enough so the ball is just cleared and some of his passes are late so the player who is supposed to recieve the ball has gone further down the line than he anticipates.

But hopefully he will get sharper and will be a big player for us.

Main strenths are his work rate and being in the right place at the right time, bue he needs that little bit extra to make it as a good striker in this league imo, but he has 2 more games which he will probably start so this could be his best chance to show his ability and step up.

he has good idea's most of the time but is always that second behind with his excution, so either he doesnt make his run quite quick enough so the ball is just cleared and some of his passes are late so the player who is supposed to recieve the ball has gone further down the line than he anticipates.

Yeah I've noticed that too. A lot of the time you can see what he's thinking but it's often prevented before he executes it.

He's a good example of why talented young players should move to a stronger league when they're young. Hopefully it's not too late for him to learn to things half a second faster.

Not yet up to it, but he works hard and puts in a shift. Probably never going to be able to play the lone striker role, but could work up front with someone else and is a decent player for our squad. Not good today, but a bit of luck for the goal and it can only help his confidence.

Probably never going to be able to play the lone striker role, but could work up front with someone else

Again, only ever said about players who are ultimately failures. :) People used to go on about Kalinic in a similar fashion.

I think, with a bit more physical conditioning, he 'll be quite good at the lone role. He better be, otherwise he'll be off to the Championship or back to Scotland.

Michael Owen was a great goalscorer, but there is no way that he could play as a lone striker in a side like ours. If you're playing in a team that regularly dominates possession and the midfield can provide close support then you can do it, but in a struggling side that will often be on the back foot for large parts of the game it requires a certain skill set in order to play up front by yourself.

Yeah I've noticed that too. A lot of the time you can see what he's thinking but it's often prevented before he executes it.

He's a good example of why talented young players should move to a stronger league when they're young. Hopefully it's not too late for him to learn to things half a second faster.

Yep he either passes it just behind or like you said it gets prevented and with his being up to speed the porblem he cant decide what to do next ends up with him losing posession - the same thing happened to the yak against man u but when his pass was prevented and he was put under preassure he just forced his way through and scored.

Now I dont expect goodwille to be as strong as the yak (One of the strongest strikers ive seen) but if he could get that extra strentgh to hold off a defender to look for a different pass to the one prevented he will be a better all round striker and far less frustrating

Michael Owen was a great goalscorer, but there is no way that he could play as a lone striker in a side like ours.

Funny you should mention Owen, I considered bringing him to my earlier post to support my argument!

He has dropped off the radar since 4-3-3/4-5-1 became common place. Nobody wants a striker than can only play in a front two, because most managers don't want to play that formation any more.

Jermain Defoe is the only player I can think of that can only perform as part of a front two and has managed to continue to play on a regular basis. Strikers either have to be able to forage alone or adapt to a wider role nowadays, otherwise they're cast aside like Owen has been.

Funny you should mention Owen, I considered bringing him to my earlier post to support my argument!

He has dropped off the radar since 4-3-3/4-5-1 became common place. Nobody wants a striker than can only play in a front two, because most managers don't want to play that formation any more.

Jermain Defoe is the only player I can think of that can only perform as part of a front two and has managed to continue to play on a regular basis. Strikers either have to be able to forage alone or adapt to a wider role nowadays, otherwise they're cast aside like Owen has been.

It's an interesting theory but it's probably just coincided with Owen's legs having given up on him.

A couple of years ago, he could have done a job for us as a poacher but now he's just expensive physioroom furniture. And we've already got a "Vincenzo".

Shame how things went for him, always thought Owen might break Charlton's England record, somehow. I guess all those Liverpool fans cursing him for going to Real on a free has jinxed him...

Archived