BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Goodwille

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought he did well tonight - great penalty, but should have scored (or crossed) when he blazed over when clean through. Looked a threat when played in the right position though.

Indeed, he looked very lively and contrary to what a lot of people have been saying, he looked quick and less fat. I don't know if he's been working harder in the gym but even though he was pitching himself against one of the best back lines in the world, dare i say he even looked troublesome at times.

His greedy streak is still a mile wide. Very selfish player

If you have the basic talent that ability to look for the pass rather than try to do it all on your own if there is someone in a better position can be taught. He's still relatively young and Has played mainly with players who are less able in teams where he has been the main goal threat.

Beaten out of him?

Sheesh. We've bought him as a potential goalscorer surely?

Don't write him off because of an incident against the World champions in a meaningless game where following his emphatic penalty he opts to take on a shot.

Beaten out of him?

Sheesh. We've bought him as a potential goalscorer surely?

Don't write him off because of an incident against the World champions in a meaningless game where following his emphatic penalty he opts to take on a shot.

Beaten out of him in the nice sense of the word.

Not judging him on that one game, he has already done the exact same thing for us 3 times. Twice at Fulham and once against Wednesday

All goalscorers have a greedy streak. That's part of what makes them goalscorers. You rarely saw Greavesie pass if he had a sight of goal. Change them and they lose their instinct. I reckon if Goodwillie is played in the right position he will score some goals.

I'm not sure about him yet but would like to see him play 3 or 4 games in a row as cnetre forward to see if he can do the business. No chance of that now though as only the "senior pros" are likely to play more than a couple of games without being rotated by the master tactician.

Very borderline penalty ! Your not supposed to stop or break in your stride when stepping up to take a spot kick nowadays.

Actually they are far less strict when it comes to that now. A few years ago that was a rule set in stone, now tons of players do it.

Actually they are far less strict when it comes to that now. A few years ago that was a rule set in stone, now tons of players do it.

To cancel that type of penalty out would cause the referee more grief than its worth so I suppose common sense has to prevail and allow a goal.

All goalscorers have a greedy streak. That's part of what makes them goalscorers. You rarely saw Greavesie pass if he had a sight of goal. Change them and they lose their instinct. I reckon if Goodwillie is played in the right position he will score some goals.

Maybe but they are still allowed to bring vision, common sense and teamwork into their play / game. He looked a right charlie blazing over wide right when it weas easier to pass.

Still, he certainly looked better than he did against Villa and City playing for us and the goal will have helped him considerably as well.

• Moderation Lead

To cancel that type of penalty out would cause the referee more grief than its worth so I suppose common sense has to prevail and allow a goal.

Especially when you consider the scoreline at that time, scoring the penalty would have had little impact on the final score. And it's Scotland vs Spain....

Especially when you consider the scoreline at that time, scoring the penalty would have had little impact on the final score. And it's Scotland vs Spain....

I was under the impression that now that goalies can move horizontally along the line the penalty taker is allowed to take a stutter step (not seen the pen, I'm assuming that's what he did)

• 3 months later...

So after being one of the worst strikers I have ever seen for Rovers, making Nikola Kalinic and Grabbi look potent, today he was equally rubbish until the 70th odd minute when he began to play quite well, linking up and running the channels, getting in behind the centrebacks.

With Yakubu suspedned, Roberts contractually sidelined, he is going to get some starts if we don't sign anyone decent (very possible).

What do people think about him? I personally think he will continue to not be that effective, Fulham gave us so much room that Goodwillie was allowed time on the ball whereas against tighter opposition he will stuggle to retain the ball or get in behind as he will jus be physically out muscled and his movement isn't good enough to compensate. However I hope I am wrong and he improves.

Petrovic was another who looked pretty good - spraying the ball around with abandon before being forced off. Again I think he was greatly helped by Fulham standing off, but I think he has more chance of making it as a player as he is physically capable and has more natural passing talent. With Nzonzi more willing to drive forward these days they could make a decent midfield pair. I pray so anyway as we desperately need it.

So after being one of the worst strikers I have ever seen for Rovers, making Nikola Kalinic and Grabbi look potent, today he was equally rubbish until the 70th odd minute when he began to play quite well, linking up and running the channels, getting in behind the centrebacks.

With Yakubu suspedned, Roberts contractually sidelined, he is going to get some starts if we don't sign anyone decent (very possible).

What do people think about him? I personally think he will continue to not be that effective, Fulham gave us so much room that Goodwillie was allowed time on the ball whereas against tighter opposition he will stuggle to retain the ball or get in behind as he will jus be physically out muscled and his movement isn't good enough to compensate. However I hope I am wrong and he improves.

Petrovic was another who looked pretty good - spraying the ball around with abandon before being forced off. Again I think he was greatly helped by Fulham standing off, but I think he has more chance of making it as a player as he is physically capable and has more natural passing talent. With Nzonzi more willing to drive forward these days they could make a decent midfield pair. I pray so anyway as we desperately need it.

I think he's a decent sub but not good enough to start week in week out. Would like to see Roberts come back into the team with the Yak suspended. Roberts holds the ball up well even though he is not prolific. Surely now we have a chance of prem survival, we need to forget his contractual issue.

How can anyone say he's one of the worst striker theyve seen at ewood when he aint even played up front for us hardly he's played right wing, when he has played up front he has played decent. Give him a few games in his position and lets see what he's made of

Archived