BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Goodwille

no way, lots of players take time to adapt.

I agree I didn't see anything that makes me think he will make it, but I'm not stupid enough to write him off.

Don't commit to anything that might bite you in the ass.

But (again) I'm expecting very little for 2 million and that way I will not be disappointed.

you said people, thats one person and you didn't quote him.

I watched the game and I must say I wasn't overly impressed.

But he's young and it was just his 2nd game so who knows how he'll turn out.

I don't think he was the right sort of signing for your club atm though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's looked useful from what I've seen. Knows where the goal is, has a good awareness of where he's meant to run, has a reasonable touch and he's not easily brushed off the ball.

It's all about the quality of service.

Agree. He forced something out of nothing a few times but with no service even Shearer would find it difficult. Ripley and Wilcox zinging them into the middle all day long helped his tally. One quality cross, one goal today

He's looked useful from what I've seen. Knows where the goal is, has a good awareness of where he's meant to run, has a reasonable touch and he's not easily brushed off the ball.

It's all about the quality of service.

Exactly, no service = no goals.

Goodwillie is crap simple

No, he isn't, and he'll prove you wrong.

However, it would be an accurate reflection of your posts thus far, you're either some baiting dingle or you need to get a grip and stop posting like one, simple.

The problem Goodwillie faces is that he needs time to pick up the pace of English football. I wasn't particularly impressed yesterday but that's not to say he won't come good at some point in the future. The problem is that the squad is so threadbare at the moment that Goodwillie is not going to be given the time to adjust to English football. At the moment I think he lacks a little in pace and yesterday he was too easily brushed aside by Dunne and Collins. There is a huge difference between English and Scottish football - look at the Hearts v Tottenham game last week. Last season Blackman scored 10 goals in half a season with Motherwell while Goodwillie got 17 in a full season with Dundee United. Most would agree that Blackman is not a Premier League striker and yet Goodwillie is expected to be an immediate hit. With the best will in the world Goodwillie is not going to notch 20 goals a season. If he gets 10 this season he will be doing well. The problem is that the lack of signings has meant that expectations of Goodwillie are far from realistic. The lad needs time to settle and settling into a struggling team is far from easy.

I dont buy the "pace of the englis league" IMO spaish teams are far greater than out top teams. If goodwillie is good enough for us he will make it. For 2- 3 mil he aint gonna be the next rooney. We just have to cross our fingers that they make it with cheaper players in this crazy money driven football world.

For me this justifies Keans decision around Diouf. No matter what some would have you believe - he is obviously a disruptive influence at the club.

He only works with Sam to babysit him.

Look what happened at Sunderland.

The problem Goodwillie faces is that he needs time to pick up the pace of English football. I wasn't particularly impressed yesterday but that's not to say he won't come good at some point in the future. The problem is that the squad is so threadbare at the moment that Goodwillie is not going to be given the time to adjust to English football. At the moment I think he lacks a little in pace and yesterday he was too easily brushed aside by Dunne and Collins. There is a huge difference between English and Scottish football - look at the Hearts v Tottenham game last week. Last season Blackman scored 10 goals in half a season with Motherwell while Goodwillie got 17 in a full season with Dundee United. Most would agree that Blackman is not a Premier League striker and yet Goodwillie is expected to be an immediate hit. With the best will in the world Goodwillie is not going to notch 20 goals a season. If he gets 10 this season he will be doing well. The problem is that the lack of signings has meant that expectations of Goodwillie are far from realistic. The lad needs time to settle and settling into a struggling team is far from easy.

Parson, I bow to your knowledge of the game and this is my fear, each player we have signed havent played in the premier league and however good a player may be, it takes time to adjust, occassionally, the odd player will hit it odff right away but its a big risk.

You are right about Goodwillie and it would be a whole lot easier alongside a striker who was established and successful in the prem league, prime example was Stead, he had Cole, without Cole he was out of his depth!!

I dont buy the "pace of the englis league" IMO spaish teams are far greater than out top teams. If goodwillie is good enough for us he will make it. For 2- 3 mil he aint gonna be the next rooney. We just have to cross our fingers that they make it with cheaper players in this crazy money driven football world.

Most European sides, play with pace only in the last third of the park, here in the Premier League its pace throughout the game and thats hard to adjust to!!

Did ok again today. He has a lot of potential and all the raw tools are there, but he needs to adjust to the Premier League because he's off the pace at the moment. He's not thinking quickly enough and hangs on to the ball too long on occasions - a prime example being when Hoilett overlapped him on the right hand side and he didn't even realise until Hoilett had gone offside. Another time he held on to the ball far too long on the left side of the penalty area.

When he's up to speed (more mentally rather than physically) I think he'll be a shrewd buy. I hope it doesn't take long.

Did ok again today. He has a lot of potential and all the raw tools are there, but he needs to adjust to the Premier League because he's off the pace at the moment. He's not thinking quickly enough and hangs on to the ball too long on occasions - a prime example being when Hoilett overlapped him on the right hand side and he didn't even realise until Hoilett had gone offside. Another time he held on to the ball far too long on the left side of the penalty area.

When he's up to speed (more mentally rather than physically) I think he'll be a shrewd buy. I hope it doesn't take long.

And despite his rough edges he still contributed much more in half the time Roberts got, and hit the cross bar.

And despite his rough edges he still contributed much more in half the time Roberts got, and hit the cross bar.

Definitely, we should be bringing Roberts off the bench for Goodwillie. Roberts has always been at his best coming from the bench, probably because his style is more affective against weary defenders.

On that chance, if you watch that in slowmo he should have done better. He took too long to adjust his feet, he would have been better hitting it with his left. Again it's adjusting to the pace, in Scotland he probably would've had an extra half a second to switch his feet.

Thought Goodie did well when he came on, gives Rovers a completely different option to what Roberts does and one which i think the opposing defenders are obviously unsure how to deal with tbh. Once hes up to speed as has been said, mentally, with the English game, i'm positive you'll have a top quality, ruthless striker on your books. For his age and size he's a strong boy but needs to lose some of his SPL habits which he wont get away with in the Premiership. For instance, backing into a defender for a high ball, then hitting the deck claiming rough tactics from the incoming defender. Thought he linked up well with Formica and Hoilett, can see a really good partnership in Goodie and Formica in the future. Tbh i think he would play well with Roberts if Kean adopted a more straight 4-4-2. He played with big Jon Daly at Utd and they complemented each other perfectly but he also played with wee Johnny Russell and again they both played really well together, much like i think Goodie and Formica could do.

One thing i wil say though is Kean needs to be giving him more game time. It was clear for a blind man to see that Roberts just wasnt the correct striking option on Sat and much like at Utd with Daly at the moment, gives the defenders too much of an excuse just to hoof the ball staright out of defence hoping Roberts will get on the end of it. Thats fair enough if say, Goodie was there to run on to flick ons or through balls but there was nothing and 9 times out of 10 Roberts would be on his own and lose possession. Also if Kean expect to play Goodie up top on his own, forget it, especially in the Premiership. He's a striker who plays best with a partner. Goodie will more often than not come deep to collect, he'll go wide, but he needs help. He will try to do it all on his own if he has to but with a striking partner you will get the very best out of him. Hopefully Kean sees this, as Saturday i thought he did well with Formica.

Arabest!

Definitely, we should be bringing Roberts off the bench for Goodwillie. Roberts has always been at his best coming from the bench, probably because his style is more affective against weary defenders.

On that chance, if you watch that in slowmo he should have done better. He took too long to adjust his feet, he would have been better hitting it with his left. Again it's adjusting to the pace, in Scotland he probably would've had an extra half a second to switch his feet.

Roberts is also best coming off the bench because after a couple of energy sapping runs (usually for a lost cause) he's spent, but to be fair the fellow is getting on (which is another reason why he should not be first choice).

Reminds me a bit of Kenny Miller, Miller also spent more his career moving around for 2 or 3 million.

Maybe Goodwillie might step it up in the EPL though, it's a tough league to be successful in.

As with Miller I have a feeling one day Goodwille will go to Rangers and do very well there.

I think he's looked quite impressive in both home games so far. Big test will be when he's starting games but he must be worth a shot in comparison to Roberts. Seems to have potential. Like the way he seems to give everyone a lift when he comes on as well which must say something positive for him.

Archived