BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Goodwille

One redeeming feature is that he does look like he could snatch the odd goal or two. Great strike against Sheff Wed and was unlucky to hit the bar against Everton. The thing is, his all round game so far, - for the benefit of DGS and imy who don't like opinions - looks woefully poor. It's no surprise that no other PL club was in for him, or that we got him for just £2m.

I really am not being patronizing Den but do you actually read comments before posting on here?

I asked for clarification from you and stated my opinion that it was wrong to right people off after three games, where did I even IMPLY that I do not like your opinion or anyone elses for that matter. I may be wrong Den but this is a MB you should expect people to challenge your opinion or is that not allowed in your world?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wouldnt score many goals in the Championship up front own his on either. That is not and never will be his game. There has to be someone alongside him leading the line, he's techinically very very good but needs someone to play off, not someone playing off him.

That would back up what a Dundee United fan said on another Rovers forum. He said that at the club Goodie most of the time was playing with a partner up front or sometimes as a front 3.

From what I've seen of him so far it could be the Kalinic situation all over again, player with some quality but doesn't fit the system we use. We don't have the balance to play 2 up front imo.

So he was limping about 80 mins against Fulham and wasn´t taken off. Today he wasn´t even on bench because of a injury. Maybe it´s just me but I find it strange. Officially he may have got a knock during training or so.

Kean has probably realised that last weeks game showed just how unfit the lad is. At a guess, I would say that's why he didn't figure, rather than him actually being injured.

Against Fulham he was too weak, too slow and too unfit.

And that was against one of the slowest least physical sides in the League.

Hopefully he will not have done his hamstring badly and is able to put a massive amount of ork in so at least he can sort out his strength and fitness but at a guess he is at least six to eight weeks away from being anything like what he needs to be.

I got abuse when I passed on that Rovers' staff were unimpressed with Goodwillie's general condition when they got to work with him just after signing. Sadly, that has not been rectified yet.

• 2 weeks later...

First time I've seen Goodwillie play today and he looked poor and totally overwhelmed by the game.

He had clearly been told to protect Lowe who had his hands full with Balotelli and Kolarov in the first half but his positional play was poor. Seemed to be unable to actually control a football or run.

Fair enough he was being played out of position, but Formica was better when he came on, and could we not have played Vukevic on the left and Hoilett on the right?

If Yakubu gets injured, we're only left with Goodwillie and Roberts....scary stuff

To me he looked like the winner of a competition to train with a Premier League team & then incredibly found himself in the starting XI - too slow to beat his marker, not enough skill to work some space, not enough strength & cunning to hold the ball up. At present - Championship level at best....so potentially a useful signing for next season.... :unsure:

Yep. Why Play Willie out there when you've got Simon on the bench who is a...wait for it....winger.

Absolutely clueless.

a 25 year old that cost 2 million.

apparently he is ace give him 9 to 48 months and we should see him in action at least by the time he is 29.

Imagine if we'd had Diouf and Emerton in the side today.I'm not saying we'd have won but at least we'd have had some ball retention. Defenders would have had a bit of a breather and we may have created the odd chance.

Nothing could ever come out of sticking Goodwillie on the wing and nothing did. He looked like a fish out of water.

Same goes for all Kean's signings come to think of it apart from Dann.

To be fair we bought the guy cos of his form in the SPL, l'm sorry but l saw him play a few times last season but l believe he was a striker? Didn't we get shut of a couple of RM's recently?

Tell you what, Kean can play him out of position to knock his confidence, that'll do him the world of good :angry:

Feel sorry for the lad.. out of position yet again.. Kean seems determined to play strikers and second strikers on the wings even when he has attacking midfield options available (wtf is with Simon being on the bench and playing Goodwillie).

The few times he has looked decent has been while he is playing up front, lets not destroy him for not being a brilliant winger when that simply is not his position.

Obviously it is unfair to be too critical of Goodwillie playing out of position. However when buying any player to hopefully be a regular starter in the Premier League, surely a question that should be asked is "Can he run". In Goodwillie's case it appears to be no. Could be a shocker of a signing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived