BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Eastern Promises and American Gangster on the weekend

AG was awesome, Denzel is still the best at this kind of role in Hollywood.

Eastern Promises was quite good however the ever annoying Naomi Watts ruined it somewhat with the horrible acting. Viggo Mortensen was ruthless.

Saw No Country For Old Men over the weekend. Great movie in the line of Fargo, 'cept not as overtly funny. Maybe it's because it takes place in Texas so a lot of the culturally funny things that were funny in Fargo (I lived in North Dakota for a few years too) aren't funny to me since I have relatives(and I guess me too to an extent) who speak and act as the people in the movie do. Ah well, it's a great movie nonetheless. Tommy Lee Jones' static character serves well in this movie but I wish there had been an unknown in his stead. Same goes for Woody Harrelson's character.

Bardem has placed himself on the list of Great Villains With Obscure Signature Weapons list.

At any rate anyone who is a Coen Brothers fan must see this and those who don't give a toss about the Coen's should watch it anyway.

Anyone heard whether Golden Compass is going to be remotely good? I heard a rumour that to stop the Bible Belt going totally postal, that they've tried to remove the fact that the Magisterium is based on the Catholic Church

just got back from watching it ...awsome film best ive seen in a while...it finishes just as its getting you wanting more and leaves teasers...never even thought about anythic godsquady.

just got back from watching it ...awsome film best ive seen in a while...it finishes just as its getting you wanting more and leaves teasers...never even thought about anythic godsquady.

Yes but the books are quite anti-religion. It's very unlikely you'd see anything 'godsquady'. The view I usually trust is that of Empire magazine and they say it blows. I'll still go and see it though.

Just been to watch The Golden Compass and although I enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as I was hoping for. I was impressed by the bears, Scoresby and Lyra, but the menace of the Golden Monkey was wasted, Pantalaimon had a really gay voice and the Gobblers (steady now) just seemed like dorky lab technicians. The concept of the daemons works brilliantly from the beginning and that was my greatest worry as I knew that could be one area where the film would fall down. Visually it's very impressive and the cityscapes and retro technology translates well from the book, but I was left thinking it lacked a certain something. That said, it tees the next film up nicely and hopefully the remaining films will mirror the increasingly dark themes of the books.

I think they were left with a difficult choice in regards to making the film suiable for as broad a range as possible, without utterly alienating the mainstream christians/catholics.

As much as I enjoyed the books I've always thought the first one is the weakest as its trying to set up the next two, but has to be standalone enough in case he couldnt write the other two (was my feeling about it anyway).

Bee Movie looks like it could be amusing

If the movie version of I Am Legend is anything like the book, then it will be spectacular. The trailer certainly makes it seem like the movie will be a hit. The only other movie that I'm really dying to see is Cloverfield. This movie from A.J. Abrams is so secret that for a long time it was only known as 1.18.08; the release date. This could be somthing special.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/cl...d/medium_2.html

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/cl...eld/medium.html