BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

You have been completely convinced by many things in the last year and it doesn't make them true. I don't claim to be in the know but I did hear very strong rumours about a certain Irish manager who changed his mind at the last minute. I'd suggest there is as much chance, if not more, that it wasn't a stitch up.

Have a read of the Anderson thread.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The relegation question can only be answered when a new manager is broguht in and if that poor miseracble fool has any money to spend in January. My bet is that the current idiot will be in charge for another month at which point we will be after falling at least 10 points from the team directly above us. The best result right now is to lose the next couple of matches. This mightsspeed up the Kean sacking. Then find a manager who is willing to work with owners who don't have a clue and with no money at all....... Where is the silver lining here?

I recall you - 47er - posting for 4 or more years on this MB, that any new ownership would be better than "stagnation under the JW Trust".

Lovely to hear from you again Tris.

Now you can see my memory isn't what it was. For example there's MarkBRFC campaigning against the sacking of Allardyce and warning us all of the dangers of appointing Kean and I can'r remember any of it!

Similarly I don't remember posting on this subject for 4 years or making the above statement but I'm sure you can prove me wrong. A bit of hyperbole when distressed perhaps?

I do remember you though arguing that we should stick with the Trust even though the Trust wanted no more to do with us. Bit odd that I thought at the time. Particularly when they had withdrawn the funding and basically driven out the best manager we ever had in my lifetime apart maybe from King Kenny.

But you know what Tris? I always said I trusted the Trust to do the right thing for us when it came to a sale. With your phenomenal memory you're bound to recall that. I urged the doubters not to worry, the Trust wouldn't sell to anyone shonky.

I got let down there didn't I? So I wanted a sale and you wanted to stick with owners who were prepared to sell to Venkys! We're a couple of idiots aren't we? :D

Now you can see my memory isn't what it was. For example there's MarkBRFC campaigning against the sacking of Allardyce and warning us all of the dangers of appointing Kean and I can'r remember any of it!

Do not tarnish my good name with the above please, thanks.

Ooh sorry! My mistake!

Yeah, if you're going to make false accusations, as least get the right person. :glare:

I never campaigned AGAINST Sam's sacking - I was all for it, still am and stand by that although I did think it a risk timing-wise (and said so at the time). Not because it was Sam and losing him would be any great shakes, purely because changing manager mid-season is always risky. Back then, Jol was nailed on favourite, and Kean was only a temporary measure - again, a situation I was happy with. When Kean got the gig full time, I DID express reservations on here, although I also said he deserved a chance. As for now, well I think he has to go, but I would wait until the end of the transfer window at least. No changing tune, no revisions of history - that's my position, and was all along. Clear enough now?

Yeah, if you're going to make false accusations, as least get the right person. :glare:

I never campaigned AGAINST Sam's sacking - I was all for it, still am and stand by that although I did think it a risk timing-wise (and said so at the time). Not because it was Sam and losing him would be any great shakes, purely because changing manager mid-season is always risky. Back then, Jol was nailed on favourite, and Kean was only a temporary measure - again, a situation I was happy with. When Kean got the gig full time, I DID express reservations on here, although I also said he deserved a chance. As for now, well I think he has to go, but I would wait until the end of the transfer window at least. No changing tune, no revisions of history - that's my position, and was all along. Clear enough now?

Sounds like you covered all the bases! You still think sacking Sam was a great decision---tells me all I need to know.

Changing a manager at any time is Risky, but you didn't care Mark.

Changing a manager at any time is Risky, but you didn't care Mark.

Didn't care we'd lost Allardyce because I (like many others) thought we were going to get a better, proper manager in. Did care about the timing. Subtle difference Den.

Especially when he's a successful one!

Yes, absolutely.

No-one was enamoured with the football on offer, but some of us knew changing was a huge risk.

Some of us either didn't see that risk, or didn't care then and still don't care now.

Sounds like you covered all the bases! You still think sacking Sam was a great decision---tells me all I need to know.

It tells you that I'm not a Sam fan, could see we'd become stale (his points per game ratio declined season on season under his tenure), was annoyed at his strategy to basically 'throwing' games away against the bigger teams, heard that his committment was in doubt and he'd asked to leave for the riches of the Middle East, was fed up of the mind-numbingly dull football served up week in week out (something you didn't have to endure sat at home in the warm ;) ), had had enough of his relentless, unjustified, egotistical outbursts (Real Madrid etc etc) embarrassing the club and thought it would be much easier to do better than him.

Clear enough now? :tu:

But it wasn't easy to do better though was it? You were assuming all the way, who said Jol was ever interested?

gone stale? If we'd had beaten Bolton we'd have gone into Xmas in SIXTH place!

Look at us now!

He was the bookie's clear favourite, so I'm sure there's no smoke without fire. However it's since become apparent that there was only one conniving little git person in the running so it was immaterial anyway.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing Matty .... had I known the only option as permanent manager was Kean even I would have stuck with Allardyce.

But it wasn't easy to do better though was it? You were assuming all the way, who said Jol was ever interested?

gone stale? If we'd had beaten Bolton we'd have gone into Xmas in SIXTH place!

Look at us now!

And he was concerned about Sam's dropping points per game ratio!! The irony!

Didn't care we'd lost Allardyce because I (like many others) thought we were going to get a better, proper manager in. Did care about the timing. Subtle difference Den.

Bet you also didn't care about Allardyce when he came and replaced Ince..He was a godsend at the time and I'd like to have seen your comments on that day.

Bet you also didn't care about Allardyce when he came and replaced Ince..He was a godsend at the time and I'd like to have seen your comments on that day.

Ahh, I take it from your location that you're another foreign based fan who didn't have to endure Sam's football first hand week in week out? Was much easier on the eye for you guys, eh? ;)

Actually, I Was happy at the time because we need someone prosaic and capable of grinding out results, which is Sam's forte. He did well and saved us - I've given him credit for that in the past too.

Everything after that was downhill in my eyes - yes we finished 10th but it never felt like any kind of success when you had to sit bored to tears every week.

Ahh, I take it from your location that you're another foreign based fan who didn't have to endure Sam's football first hand week in week out? Was much easier on the eye for you guys, eh? ;)

Actually, I Was happy at the time because we need someone prosaic and capable of grinding out results, which is Sam's forte. He did well and saved us - I've given him credit for that in the past too.

Everything after that was downhill in my eyes - yes we finished 10th but it never felt like any kind of success when you had to sit bored to tears every week.

Speaking as someone who saw every match under Sam - Home and Away - I have to say that what we have now is no improvement. I agree that some of the games were pretty poor but his style of football was nowhere near as bad as some would have us believe. The bottom line is that football is about winning matches. I don't care how many times we enter the opposition penalty area. If we don't score, we don't win and so it's a meaningless statistic. Sam ground out wins. It might not have been pretty on the eye but I felt much happier looking at the League table than I do now. Sitting through matches under Kean is painful. Everyone can see what's wrong apart from the manager and his sidekick in the dugout.

Kean has had 24 League games and has managed five wins. The fact that Venkys will persist with him, clearly for reasons other than football if rumours are to be believed, only points in one direction - relegation.

The one argument the Kean fans had has now gone. It is clear as mud that his teams do not play anything resembling beautiful football. Apparently we dominated the second half against Everton, yet we still only had 41% possession. The difference between Kean and Sam's teams is that Sam's had something vaguely resembling a defensive strategy.

Archived