BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

Thats not good for us. Yakubu is a top striker and is just full of confidence at the moment a three match ban couldnt stop him.

He is fast becoming my favourite player he takes some hard tackles and doesnt roll around like the drogba's he just gets on with it, and whatever we are feeling about the club at the moment he is clearly enjoying is football and playing here.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm not good. I'd be tempted not to play him against City (perhaps bring him on for the last 20 minutes if we're still in it) and save him for Villa, which is a winnable game.

I'd just keep playing him. He's bang in form and he's high on confidence. The more game time he gets, the more goals he'll score and the more both of those things should increase. Even if he plays from now until the end of the season, he'll only have had a 30-game one, so I can't see burn-out being a problem.

It's not burnout through long term accumulation of games that I'm worried about, it's the 3 games in 7 days with long travelling in between, with our most important game being the last of the 3.

Villa is a good chance to win 3 points, so I'd try and have Yakubu as fresh as possible for that one. If he plays 90 minutes against City (where he'll probably just be chasing the ball), goes and plays for Nigeria, and then plays against Villa all in the space of a week, he's not going to be very fresh for the final match. I certainly wouldn't expect 90 minutes from him.

Also for someone who has had fairly recent injury problems, we have to be careful. Playing multiple games over a short period (plus long travelling between) significantly increases the chance of receiving an injury.

I'd just go with Modeste against City, see if he can make a nuisance of himself like he did against Newcastle.

City game's a write off anyway I think, I'd save him for Villa definitely.

Arsenal at home and Liverpool and United away were also write offs. With the way this season has gone, you honestly wouldn't put your mortgage on a City win.

I can understand the idea of saving him for Villa but we could rest him for City and he could get injured playing for Nigeria anyway.

I'm with those saying play the man in form. We never know when that form will run out.

This signing (or potential signing) is a disgrace, utter disgrace.

He can barely get an Everton shirt over his belly the fat illegitimate and we have paid a reported £1.5 million for him.

Disgusting!

This one above was a good one.

The only positive since Kean has been manager. He's been a revelation.

If we had just kept a few clean sheets we'd be comfortably midtable. We're the 6th highest scoring team in the league and yet we're 4th bottom. Get the defence right and we might stand a chance.

This one above was a good one.

The only positive since Kean has been manager. He's been a revelation.

If we had just kept a few clean sheets we'd be comfortably midtable. We're the 6th highest scoring team in the league and yet we're 4th bottom. Get the defence right and we might stand a chance.

Tell me more about this "clean sheet"?

• Backroom

If we change the way we defend we'll no longer be close to the 6th top scorers in the league. The only reason we score so many is because defensively we're a joke and despite our goal tally our defensive naivety puts us where we deserve to be.

If we don't stop defending like a lower league team we'll soon find ourselves in a league more suited to our gung-ho style of play where we can only win if we score 3 or more goals. One thing's for sure, it won't be a league where serious teams compete.

I'd just go with Modeste against City, see if he can make a nuisance of himself like he did against Newcastle.

Some of us have paid to go watch you know!! :P We should at least give ourselves a chance with Yakubu up front, who lets face it, if he only had one leg would be better than Modeste.

If we change the way we defend we'll no longer be close to the 6th top scorers in the league. The only reason we score so many is because defensively we're a joke and despite our goal tally our defensive naivety puts us where we deserve to be.

If we don't stop defending like a lower league team we'll soon find ourselves in a league more suited to our gung-ho style of play where we can only win if we score 3 or more goals. One thing's for sure, it won't be a league where serious teams compete.

I dont think its as simple as that as our midfield have scored 1 maybe 2. Its definatly partly down to the yak and formica, the problem is ORGANISATION which is without doubt down to the MANAGER.

So I would say the attaking players added that we were lacking are down to the goals (a lot of our goals have come from set pieces)

But the midfield has been none existing when defending nobody busting a gut to get back you cant rely on just the back four to defend, which we have been doing since Kean got involved and its amazing how this hasnt been adressed after all this time.

If the midfielders maybe just one were instructed to always get back and defend when the situation arose we wouldnt let in so many goals, but the only player who does this is Formica and in my opinion this is down to his mentality rather than what he is being told to do as half the time he flies pass the 2 cdm to defend and get stuck in, out of ALL our midifelders Formica as made the most tackes and the highest tackle succsess rate, his value to the team should not be overlooked (JAL)

I dont think its as simple as that as our midfield have scored 1 maybe 2. Its definatly partly down to the yak and formica, the problem is ORGANISATION which is without doubt down to the MANAGER.

So I would say the attaking players added that we were lacking are down to the goals (a lot of our goals have come from set pieces)

But the midfield has been none existing when defending nobody busting a gut to get back you cant rely on just the back four to defend, which we have been doing since Kean got involved and its amazing how this hasnt been adressed after all this time.

If the midfielders maybe just one were instructed to always get back and defend when the situation arose we wouldnt let in so many goals, but the only player who does this is Formica and in my opinion this is down to his mentality rather than what he is being told to do as half the time he flies pass the 2 cdm to defend and get stuck in, out of ALL our midifelders Formica as made the most tackes and the highest tackle succsess rate, his value to the team should not be overlooked (JAL)

But it is by many, I am sure those who don't appreciate what he can bring just have their own preconceived notions of how he should be playing. I like the little rodent looking fella's play.

• Backroom

By defending I was including the entire team, not just the defenders. We defend like a pub team at times, it's laughable.

• Moderation Lead

By defending I was including the entire team, not just the defenders. We defend like a pub team at times, it's laughable.

Indeed. We really are appalling at the back.

Similar to the way Blackpool were last season with their goalscoring first approach, look how that ended...

Quite laughable when you consider how much Kean sounds off about 'closing the back door'. :rolleyes:

Indeed. We really are appalling at the back.

Similar to the way Blackpool were last season with their goalscoring first approach, look how that ended...

Quite laughable when you consider how much Kean sounds off about 'closing the back door'. :rolleyes:

I don't think he's yet worked out that it's a metaphor.

But he's saving hundreds of pounds in his heating bills. :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have those defensive stats on Formica hfb.

Cant fault Formica for work rate, but then drawing similar comparisons could we fault Ashley Ward for his work rate when he was here?

Archived