BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

Why a cheap shot, just a fact surely.

Niko was never played in his favoured role. Could have been a very good player for us.

Fell out with Kean, dropped, sold.

Some folk make out like he was a modern version of Grabbi.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're totally missing my point, never mind.

It's a bit of ridiculous point. The fact is that he did sign Yakubu and is playing him. There are tons of reasons to be critical of Kean, but you can't simply write anything good off as being a total fluke.

It's a bit of ridiculous point. The fact is that he did sign Yakubu and is playing him. There are tons of reasons to be critical of Kean, but you can't simply write anything good off as being a total fluke.

It isn't, signing Yakubu has proved to be a remarkable piece of good fortune for Kean. He was not one of Keans original targets. It wasn't a total fluke but it is a huge slice of good luck for Kean as without him we'd be well and truly screwed, and there's a good chance Kean would be out of a job.

Consider how many people thought that Yakubu would just be a journeyman signing and be less than successful. I'll bet Kean had reservations too but he just grabbed what he could rather than settle for nothing.

In my opinion this was not some feat of amazing foresight by Kean. All things considered of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on he6rt6gr6ms Facebook and had to steal it

wu7yH.jpg

I hope there's a good story behind it!

We've got to have a caption competition with this pic, haven't we?

How about...

"I have to follow Steve Kean's tactical instructions. Nothing humiliates me anymore."

Yakubu gave massive support to Kean on Sunday in his interview, I can;t remember hearing someone back a sturggling manager to that level, they players really do love him to bits I think.

Yeah, Yak was adamant we will finish in the top 10.

Yakubu gave massive support to Kean on Sunday in his interview, I can;t remember hearing someone back a sturggling manager to that level, they players really do love him to bits I think.

So would you if you got paid 40k a week for working about 6 hours a week and all you can eat chicken

Yak would not be playing in the African Cup of Nations come Jan/Feb when it usually is held even if he was selected; because Nigeria did not qualify. So there would be no danger at all of him missing games. I'm almost positive Drogba and others, Essien maybe, will be going to that tournament, I assume so.

Jay Jay Okocha speaking out saying he doesn't think Yak should be selected to play for Nigeria. http://www.soccerway.com/news/2011/December/12/yakubu-too-old-for-nigeria-comeback/ That's utterly rubbish and Drogba is 4 years older than Yakubu. Now, if Nigeria is trying to groom the youth for the National Selection, maybe that could work but I think Jay Jay just has sour grapes.

But maybe Rovers fans, some, would prefer Yakubu not to even play in Internationals to begin with.

Roger Milla is still one of the best players ever in a World Cup from Africa and his best cup was 1990 surely and Milla was about 10 years older, of course, one does wonder here about the way age is calculated for some African players.

Traditional powerhouses Cameroon and Egypt I believe as well are not going to this tournament, did not qualify.

----------

I know a bit about Nigerian football, they had a coach, can't remember his name, they went to the last world cup with him, were semi finalists but still from the games, it wasn't enough for the fans. So, they hired this Siasia fellow, the fans favourite and Nigeria, The Super Eagles fell flat on their faces, looks like they got a lot of draws, maybe not losses but they did not qualify. Maybe if the Nigerians are not content with their coaches, Steve Kean could go there! Just Kidding, this fellow Keshi, the new coach but who has been around probably can get some better results.

http://www.soccerway.com/international/africa/africa-cup-of-nations/2012-equatorial-guinea-gabon/group-stage/ If anyone is interested, here are the teams in the tournament. The last tournament wasn't too great. I'm not from Africa, know a bit about the tournament from some lads I worked with.

Just out of curiosity, who was the last player to get 4 in a game for us ?

Old Divsion 2 Sat 10th Sep 1983

Blackburn 5-1 Derby

Garner scored all 5.........the one and only time he did it. And the last Rovers player to score more than 3 in one game until Yakaboo

Tommy Briggs holds the record of 7 in one game

Without wishing to take away from the older records, it's a bit different scoring 7 goals in a game in 1457, where every game had 9 forwards and finished 14-12 to the high standards of the Premiership.

Same with Garner - I'm too young to remember anything he did in his career, but I understand he scored all of his goals in the lower leagues.

Doesn't take anything away from either Garner or Briggs, but to score 4 league goals in one Prem game is an amazing achievement - one that even Alan Shearer didn't manage.

Old Divsion 2 Sat 10th Sep 1983

Blackburn 5-1 Derby

Garner scored all 5.........the one and only time he did it. And the last Rovers player to score more than 3 in one game until Yakaboo

Tommy Briggs holds the record of 7 in one game

This has been answered before. Garns scored 4 in a 6-1 home win against Sunderland 6th Sept 1986 and that was the last time a Rovers player scored four in a game. (SG must have liked playing at Ewood in early September!)

Without wishing to take away from the older records, it's a bit different scoring 7 goals in a game in 1457, where every game had 9 forwards and finished 14-12 to the high standards of the Premiership.

Same with Garner - I'm too young to remember anything he did in his career, but I understand he scored all of his goals in the lower leagues.

Have you seen the standard of defending in the premierleague these days? Absolutely SHOCKING. Players can't even take corners FFS!

I bet it was harder for Briggs to score 7 against defender who could chop you in half with impunity than to score 4 against a diabolic Swansea defence who cannot touch a player without getting a yellow/red/3 match ban/media mauling/wailing mothers shouting "what about the children?"

Archived