BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu

Indeed. We really are appalling at the back.

Similar to the way Blackpool were last season with their goalscoring first approach, look how that ended...

Quite laughable when you consider how much Kean sounds off about 'closing the back door'. :rolleyes:

I don't think he's yet worked out that it's a metaphor.

But he's saving hundreds of pounds in his heating bills. :tu:

He probably walks round Brockhall with his bum against the wall, such is his fear of being shafted by other staff members.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I don't think even those of us that said it would be a good signing expected this much.

I'm often told he will be crap in his second season but he's done enough to justify the price tag, then again they say he doesn't score after christmas.

Funnily enough last night wasn't his best game but even so he's deadly given a chance

Keep feeding him!

Funnily enough last night wasn't his best game but even so he's deadly given a chance

Keep feeding him!

What really impresses me is his link up play - he's actually a lot more than just a goalscorer.

He has great awareness when he gets the ball with his back to goal and has a knack of playing perfectly weighted passes for midfielders rushing past him. He did a perfect example of this to Marcus in the second half but he was a bit hesitant, I think we only got a corner in the end.

It's such a shame that he didn't manage to get the ball to Marcus a second time when he took Hoilett's cross in the box with his back to goal, and quickly shifted it to the left. It would have been a magnificent piece of technical skill and quick thinking, unfortunately a defender just managed to get a toe on it.

I have no idea what position we'd be in if we didn't have him this season.

Yesterday things just weren't going quite right for him at times. Almost had a great assist whilst holding off a defender but his pass to the back post was intercepted. He seems almost as dangerous with his back to goal as he does facing it.

I think it goes to show that we should never write off any signing completely before they have had chance to make an impact. Yakubu has been amazing and Orr and Olsson have contributed more than any could have anticipated.

What really impresses me is his link up play - he's actually a lot more than just a goalscorer.

He has great awareness when he gets the ball with his back to goal and has a knack of playing perfectly weighted passes for midfielders rushing past him. He did a perfect example of this to Marcus in the second half but he was a bit hesitant, I think we only got a corner in the end.

It's such a shame that he didn't manage to get the ball to Marcus a second time when he took Hoilett's cross in the box with his back to goal, and quickly shifted it to the left. It would have been a magnificent piece of technical skill and quick thinking, unfortunately a defender just managed to get a toe on it.

Agreed LeC.

He's done more than any of us expected I reckon. One comment - he's everything a quality striker should be and everything that Kalinic isn't.

Yesterday things just weren't going quite right for him at times. Almost had a great assist whilst holding off a defender but his pass to the back post was intercepted. He seems almost as dangerous with his back to goal as he does facing it.

I agree with that, seems to be able to hold defenders off him with ease and bring others into play but also can make superb runs into the box and his finishing is top notch.

Our player of the season by a country mile but he must be up there with bargin of the season in the premier league this year?

Agreed LeC.

He's done more than any of us expected I reckon. One comment - he's everything a quality striker should be and everything that Kalinic isn't.

Did Kalinic sleep with your daughter? Or run over your cat?

If he had more pace he would be the complete striker. His touch is exceptional, as is his strength, and his movement while slow is excellent. He got into just the right area for Orr's (superb) cross.

It's hard looking at Yak to understand how as good a manager as Moyes let him go to waste - and indeed how Yak ended up having to mark time in the Championship last season. I mean he has averaged a goal every three games for every club he has played for. That is more than respectable for a mid table premiership side. His all round game is first rate.

It will be interesting to see if he goes a little stale come next year. I sure hope not, but we've had a few one season wonders and he did lose his way at Everton. Fortunately that was after quite a while.

• Backroom

Why is everyone saying it was Orr's cross when it was Lowe ?

What I really want to know is what Jason Lowe was doing wearing a bradley Orr costume!

Lowe was in the middle of the pitch when Yakubu scored - it was definitely Orr with the assist.

I saw that Yakubu has 15 goals so far, which is a phenomenal amount of goals for a lone forward in a relegation fighting side.

Lowe was in the middle of the pitch when Yakubu scored - it was definitely Orr with the assist.

I saw that Yakubu has 15 goals so far, which is a phenomenal amount of goals for a lone forward in a relegation fighting side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17349103

But, just as it looked like the visitors might pinch another late goal as they did last time, Yakubu headed in Bradley Orr's cross to give them some breathing space at the bottom of the table.

Not that this is fact but I thought it was Orr and BBC have it as him.

Impressive stuff by the Yak, I agree.

Archived