BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Protest March 17.09.11

OZTHEMAN

Just make peace with the fact that if you have an alternative view it'll get people's backs up. Steve Kean has become a hate figure amongst a lot of Rovers fans (I must point out I personally do not hate him, I just think he's in now way suited to taking to club forward) so if you are being seen to support him or try to make excuses for him, then you're supporting a hate figure. So it stands to reasons that you will get hated on by proxy.

Add to that, a lot of people see Kean as being a damaging influence on the club they love. So again, if you support Kean, you're effectively supporting the club being damaged in their eyes. Cue anger. It works both ways, some people think the removal of Kean without a proper replacement will damage the club. Similarly angry replies, although less of them, have been written on here.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if I went on a forum and went against the grain of the majority, a few people had a go at me.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Spot on post.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough, that does make sense. Im not totally sure a fan's protest is the right way to go, but given our dreadful start, something does need to change quickly. Kean seems like a nice bloke and I do feel a degree of sympathy for him as he shouldnt have been given the job in the first place. But putting that to one side, he isn't the right man to manage this football club now.

The reality is that, given the size of our club and resources, we cannot afford to take a gamble on Kean coming good in this position. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last season but this time around we already look relegated.

+1

totally agree - however 'whether a fan's protest is the right way to go' is questionable though (as any protest is)as how else are they supposed to do it otherwise?

Emails appear to have been ignored, the letter last week cast off as a minority etc. little or ambiguous and totally daft comments have come out of the club mostly by the clown sorry voicepiece clown.

Not a having a go mm as everybody wants the same, but just find it comical that almost alot who question the protest/demo totally negate it with some other comment we look relegated already / we have been poor/ disorganised / unfit / not the man to take us forward ...the list goes on.

And is this me being a hypocrite here - I'm not sure its the right way but I back the protest - as I state above what other way is there at present?

+1

totally agree - however 'whether a fan's protest is the right way to go' is questionable though (as any protest is)as how else are they supposed to do it otherwise?

Emails appear to have been ignored, the letter last week cast off as a minority etc. little or ambiguous and totally daft comments have come out of the club mostly by the clown sorry voicepiece clown.

Not a having a go mm as everybody wants the same, but just find it comical that almost alot who question the protest/demo totally negate it with some other comment we look relegated already / we have been poor/ disorganised / unfit / not the man to take us forward ...the list goes on.

And is this me being a hypocrite here - I'm not sure its the right way but I back the protest - as I state above what other way is there at present?

The question clearly isn't whether Kean should be fired or not. That is a given. The issue is whether a protest and a march around Ewood Park the right way to get rid of him.

He has become more than a manager in his time here, he is the person who represents Venky's. I genuinely feel that people hate Steve Kean not just because he's a poor manager, but because he is the symbol of Venky's new ownership. This march will be as much to do with hate being directed against Venky's as it is against Steve Kean.

We've had many useless managers at Rovers in the past but none have been hated as much as Kean and the reason is because he is representing Venky's on the touchline. We're marching because we dont like the manager?? Clearly its more than just that. People view Kean = Venky's and that is why they'll march on saturday.

He deserves to be sacked, Im not sure he deserves to be as hated as he is.

You make a very fair point, there are few other ways to get fans views across and I agree that the weight of the fans' opinions will influence Venky's in their decision to sack Kean. I also think if we lose to Arsenal Kean will/should be sacked regardless of any protest.

I just think that this march could be distorted by the media and used to ridicule the club further as it does appear that Kean has many sympathisers outside the club who may well see this as a knee jerk reaction to what is, on paper, just a couple of defeats. That's not my opinion by any means but I can see how some people on the outside looking in could view it that way.

:D 6 wins in a row, hard to argue with that

I'm glad you are attacking Glen and not me.

If I was you Glen I'd just take this on the chin, I can assure you as mass amount for this board will thank you for your contribution after the protest.

I think what you are doing is important in the clubs history, I don't want to say Henwah is jealous that you are getting attention, people can make their own minds up, but I think some people might be, even if thats not your intention.

I'm still pretty jealous I have not broken 20 +'s you got or 20 -'s like Philipl, I feel so average.

I'm certainly not posting for attention, I'm just frustrated at the blinkered view of most of the Kean-haters. This is supposed to be a debate, but many have decided they don't like Kean and seem intent on dismissing anything or anyone that doesn't fit in with their desired outcome. I'm merely trying to encourage the consideration of opposing views, and reasoned ripostes to those views

And in reply to the sitting on the fence comment someone made - I'll freely admit to being sat on the fence, presumably this implies I'm more balanced than the ones who fell off on one side almost immediately ;-)

I realise Kean is not ideal, makes odd selections and substitutions (although not being inside the club there may often be reasons for some of the bizarre looking changes that we don't know about) but I do like the look of the team and most of the players he's brought in.

His interviews are a bit 'spun' but he's had flak from numerous angles from day one so of course he's going to be a bit optimistic with his words.

I won't lose sleep on his behalf if he goes now - I'd be more concerned about the chances of a good replacement, but equally I'm willing to give him a little longer to get his new players bedded in

I'm certainly not posting for attention, I'm just frustrated at the blinkered view of most of the Kean-haters. This is supposed to be a debate, but many have decided they don't like Kean and seem intent on dismissing anything or anyone that doesn't fit in with their desired outcome. I'm merely trying to encourage the consideration of opposing views.

It's impotant to note that this forum is not filled with Kean haters who joined in the last month just to vote against Kean, I signed up to membership in 2001 but have been posting since 1996/97 at 13 years old.

I didn't join this site to become a Kean hater, and nobody infleuences my opinion not Glen, infact I got a lot of stick over the summer for backing Kean and Venkys to splash the cash, and I ended up lookind stupid because Kean was obviously misleading, it around the time he claimed his drink was spiked that I lost ALOT of trust.

I consider myself a patience respectable fan (who gets one or two unfair warnings lol) and I want Kean out and I never really got on Ince's back TBH, but I did Harford's.

so these pro-Kean minority are not victims, they are just the minority and passionate fans conflict, just the nature of fans.

It a losing battle to back Kean unless he can start winning games. 5 wins in 25 games suggests not.

We've had many useless managers at Rovers in the past but none have been hated as much as Kean and the reason is because he is representing Venky's on the touchline.

You make some good points, but I can't agree with this.

I don't think this has anything to do with why anyone dislikes Kean.

Results? Absolutely - his results have been atrocious over 9 long months. This season alone has provided 1 solitary point from 4 games. Tactically inept is an understatement.

Personality? Definitely a contributory factor. He lies and then tries to backtrack (eg - Champions League football in 3 years, 'fans spiked my drink'). Ignores the reality in an attempt to highlight the 'positives'. Appears arrogant and ignorant towards the fans.

Rumours of backstabbing Big Sam? Maybe, but no more than rumours as far as the majority are concerned.

Conviction? Again, maybe. No excuses for drink-driving, undertaking a marked police car at excessive speed and being on the phone whilst driving. Blatently lying in court about it too has only served to make himself (and the club by default) look worse.

The main thing is results. Managers are judged on results, not whether they have injury problems (read - failure to utilise the transfer window to sufficiently strengthen the squad) or 'bad luck'.

He is a horrible manager who is incapable of achieving the results to keep us in the league, however you choose to spin it.

Last season he had the safety net of Big Sam's half season, this season everything points to an embarrassingly bad points tally come May, with Kean in charge.

I don't 'hate' Kean, never met the bloke. I want him replaced as manager as he can't win games of football.

Is that 'blinkered', 'clouded by hate'?

Having a bad manager isn't really worth marching about. We're marching because he plays Salgado at right back and keeps Roberts up front??? People march because they lose their pensions, freedom of speech or the right to vote, not because we dont particularly like a football manager.

The hate for Kean is as much to do with him being the face of Venky's as it is his ability as a football manager. This march is about Venky's as much as it is about Kean. I dont have a problem with that, so long as that is how it is labelled.

Can I just ask, why is this taking place before the match??

Surely you're all going to feel a bit stupid if we manage to beat Arsenal after protesting and demanding the manager to be sacked????

Why isn't the march afterwards??

Come on Morten this is about the last nine months, I'm not sure why people love basing everything on the last game on this board.

I just think that this march could be distorted by the media and used to ridicule the club further as it does appear that Kean has many sympathisers outside the club who may well see this as a knee jerk reaction to what is, on paper, just a couple of defeats. That's not my opinion by any means but I can see how some people on the outside looking in could view it that way.

Again I concur here, and in some area's its guaranteed 100% but that's the media for you and that would happen regardless of what is happening (take the Ince situation and the'racist' scenario.

Personally I don't give a flying fig about what other people think of us as I will argue for the Rovers case and more often than not end up putting people right.

A poll of a few hundred forum posters (on a forum where one gets slagged off for having an alternative opinion), and have been fed stories disguised as fact (not aimed at you) for months does not equate to a majority of rovers fans.

Yes it does.

As a matter of fact it is a far bigger sample than is often used to create statistics.

When you see:

90% of women think...

65% of Preston fans think....

The sample is as low as five people.

A percentage this high suggests that it is extremely unlikely that it is a minority of fans that want Kean out.

If Venkys want the fans behind they have to appreciate that they have made mistakes, both in PR and in running the club, since they took over. To acknowledge these mistakes and then say they are learning and ask the fans to back them again would be a good move. However the biggest mistake they made was being influenced to replace Allardyce with putting an unproved, first team coach as manager of an established Premiership football club. Time has already proven the mistake. Stubborness is the only thing stopping them admitting the mistake.

Venkys - The first step on the road to redemption is righting your biggest wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I still hold some belief that last seasons poor results were partly down to Kean inheriting a squad that had been bought, and drilled to play anti-football . Kean (rightly or wrongly) tried to change the style - this was at the time a big issue for a lot of the supporters who were less supportive of Sam so it's understandable why Kean tried to change things (and no I'm not blaming Sam for Kean's results, I'm blaming Kean for trying to dress brambles up as roses). We also cannot neglect the fact that it hasn't been the cleanest of transitions under the new owners which can't have helped Kean or the players.

He's now got his own players in, so i believe he should get a (last) chance to deliver, no excuses.

In all honesty though i think the 'sack Kean' campaign is now too far down the line for him to recover it, so it's irrelevant

I tend to agree that the march may have been more appropriate after the game.

The two outcomes are we either get three points or Kean leaves the football club; both cannot happen.

This whole situation is only going to have a negative impact on the performance on the day.

It just seems like we're sacrificing a game in order to get rid of a manager.

Also, in the unlikely case that we win, whilst playing some good football, does the march not then lose all credibility?

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I still hold some belief that last seasons poor results were partly down to Kean inheriting a squad that had been bought, and drilled to play anti-football . Kean (rightly or wrongly) tried to change the style - this was at the time a big issue for a lot of the supporters who were less supportive of Sam so it's understandable why Kean tried to change things (and no I'm not blaming Sam for Kean's results, I'm blaming Kean for trying to dress brambles up as roses). We also cannot neglect the fact that it hasn't been the cleanest of transitions under the new owners which can't have helped Kean or the players.

He's now got his own players in, so i believe he should get a (last) chance to deliver, no excuses.

In all honesty though i think the 'sack Kean' campaign is now too far down the line for him to recover it, so it's irrelevant

A last chance...

Can you provide an adequate reason for him ever getting a first chance?

I think Keans record is too bad for him to be given further time though that is not to say 100% he could not turn out to be a good manager in time, however based on current evidence we are likely to face a very difficult season.

The gamble is too great (depends how much you like risk), plus why should we (as fans) not want the best manager possible within our means?

He should have never been appointed in the first place, you can argue we have suffered enough already.

The chance he's getting at the moment is seeing us relegated. The owners should know what the majority of fans think about that scenario - IMO.

An interesting view, and not one that I would really disagree with.

My problem with Kean as manager is simple - he isn't good enough. We spent a large part of the final stages of last season staring down the barrel of relegation, and luckily for us we dodged the bullets.

This season is so far no better, and I just cannot see us staying in the premiership with this guy in charge.

We need another 39 points to survive again this year, and that, in my opinion, is beyond his ability.

The two outcomes are we either get three points or Kean leaves the football club; both cannot happen.

This whole situation is only going to have a negative impact on the performance on the day.

Also, in the unlikely case that we win, whilst playing some good football, does the march not then lose all credibility?

protests after the game are hard to organise, too emotional and end up with people drifting away to the boozer/car.

And as for us winning, this is about Steve Kean's tenure over 9 months. The bloke will win an odd match, as proven thus far, doesn't alter the bigger picture.

Not really, one result won't change the view about the manager. There are some fickle people on here but the vast majority aren't sheep.

It's not like he has had just 4 games in the job, he's had almost 30 and his results during that period overall clearly point out he isn't good enough and Rovers will be going down if he stays.

protests after the game are hard to organise, too emotional and end up with people drifting away to the boozer/car.

And as for us winning, this is about Steve Kean's tenure over 9 months. The bloke will win an odd match, as proven thus far, doesn't alter the bigger picture.

Can you imagine a situation where:

1) A successful march is held before the game.

2) We actually play well and win playing some good football.

3) We move to a mid-table position.

4) Kean is questioned after the game regarding the march and is able to say we've got a good away point at Fulham and followed that up with three points against Arsenal.

Although unlikely, in this situation, a march won't have weakened his position a great deal.

Archived