BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pune trip

only2garners

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birdie is a bloody dinosaur, from a different time and ere, surely the last person we want meeting and representing the supporters.

His support for the club is admirable, but speaking for the fans? No thanks.

Birdie is a bloody dinosaur, from a different time and ere, surely the last person we want meeting and representing the supporters.

I'd not seen his name mentioned on here before and now suddenly he is mentioned in every post as being the salt of the earth Mr Blackburn.

Very strange

I'd not seen his name mentioned on here before and now suddenly he is mentioned in every post as being the salt of the earth Mr Blackburn.

Very strange

Because people feel that a man who has spent decades organising travel for supporters to every domestic game, every european game and even every pre season friendly home and abroad is deserving of a reward more than anyone.

this man is paying his own way to India whilst people are on all expenses paid invites, yet nobody is more deserving than birdie of this.

However, as Roversmum acknowledged they may not be aware of Birdie but she will personally ensure she mentions him to the owners.

Oh give over. Puts thousands of miles in following team as you know. His opinions as valid as anybody else's.

Oh give over. Puts thousands of miles in following team as you know. His opinions as valid as anybody else's.

We’ll here’s a novel idea, why don’t you give up your place on the trip and offer Birdie the place if you feel so strongly about it.

Thankyou Gordon.I know ive got under your skin when you refer to me as Donald.

Thankyou for your clarification.

Just as a postcript and with hand on heart, I do remember that night all those years ago that during our conversation your name cropped up quite a few times ....... Or rather Ozexiles name did. ^_^

I'm tempted to make this the last i'll say publically on the subject here, as everything else will be going over old ground. Hopefully I will see Birdy and Co over there as well assuming they arent flying Emirates again.

Well heres a novel idea, why dont you give up your place on the trip and offer Birdie the place if you feel so strongly about it.

Ever wish you had taken your own advice Steve? ^_^

Very strange

Without being insulting to anybody in particular I suggest the term "Promotion to incompetence" might be applied more than once to this entire situation.

Just as a postcript and with hand on heart, I do remember that night all those years ago that during our conversation your name cropped up quite a few times ....... Or rather Ozexiles name did. ^_^

I fondly remember the misspelling on your trophy all those years ago. ^_^

The misspelt part describes you as accurately today as it did all those years ago :huh:

I still can't believe all the flak the Pune 9 are getting. They'll do a good job, and have a good time.

As for the Birdy debate. He may be superfan but nobody forces him to spend every spare minute on Rovers. Why would he have a better idea than those going? If he's been around for 30+ years as Abbey says, he will have seen plenty of dross - and still kept going - so he may not be the best spokesman.

:rover: talking of deserving fans who could be on this trip,what about JOHN PITTARD esq.good luck to those who are going,am i envious,not one liitle bit.you only have to walk down whalley range and you will see everything pune has to offer.except the tuktuks :blush::brfcsmilie:

But venkys have 'started' something that neither the trust did, nor any other club owner has done. Arranged a meeting with supporters.

Technically a correct statement but on a day to day basis inaccurate.

The club, via JW and a lesser extent TF, enjoyed an exemplary reputation for talking to fans. This no longer occurs.

If you attended over the last thirty years you would know birdie!Not aimed at you Mark

Not sure if I know birdy myself to be honest. But from some descriptions on here I may well have met and talked to him. My wife likes collecting autographs and does so when we come to Blackburn. Bores the pants of me, although I'll take photos for her of the players. I recall having a conversation with an oldish bloke, glasses and wearing a blue and white flat cap, in the car park at the blackburn end where the players get on a coach. Just wondering if that was him.

Technically a correct statement but on a day to day basis inaccurate.

The club, via JW and a lesser extent TF, enjoyed an exemplary reputation for talking to fans. This no longer occurs.

Very true.

John Williams had an open door policy.

Emails were always replied to, often with an invite to come in to see him.

Heck I suspect that I will now be pillorised for having coffee and sandwiches with JW and Tom Finn whist discussing club matters in JW's office.

Heck I suspect that I will now be pillorised for having coffee and sandwiches with JW and Tom Finn whist discussing club matters in JW's office.

Did you? I never knew that about you Alan. Did they invite you or did you break the door down? I mean if you broke the door down fair enough but if they personally invited you, well, honestly. What makes you think your better suited than 20,000 others to have coffee and sandwiches with TF and JW? That's some statement I've made for you there. Did they have biscuits by the way? Digestives? Chocolate ones? Where are the minutes and film footage Alan!! What are you hiding!?

God damn is the whole world corrupt?! I'm off to "interrogate" the truth out of the wife and kids to see what the hell they've been up to. Passing pleasantries with people in the club shop no doubt. Rotten to their core.

When did you let her out of the cupboard under the stairs bob

Ah yes, the siege mentality! But if you re-read I think you'll find you've made an assumption. Besides interogation is always done best in the dark and with a torch I find.

Anyway, we digress. Back to slagging each other off please. Divide and conquer? That would never happen around here would it? I mean just cause there are people who have spent large amounts of their time trying to do good for the club and the fans, people who have set up and have run this messageboard for years, well that doesn't mean a thing. Let's find them guilty of whatever we like, before any agenda has been put together, before they've even set off, let alone come back.

There may not even be the opportunity for a Q&A session for all we know. The trip does look to me to be inherently flawed and a PR exercise. However if there is even a remote chance to talk to the Raos and build bridges, maybe even ask them for a Q&A at Ewood to a wider audience, then surely the trip is worth it? What were they supposed to do? Turn it down flat? How would that go down? "Well we tried to talking to the fans once but they didn't want to know" - that would be an Arsenal back four moment.

I think we have to take it as it is, "a jolly" and the possibility of getting closer to the owners and maybe the first step towards getting some answers to the obvious questions.

People aren't saying take Birdy because he goes to all the games, others do likewise- our own Parsonblue, for example.

But because he has run a supporters club that has helped out Rovers fans for decades.

And as for your comments GAV, I hope you are on the wind up because they really were pathetic.

People aren't saying take Birdy because he goes to all the games, others do likewise- our own Parsonblue, for example.

But because he has run a supporters club that has helped out Rovers fans for decades.

And as for your comments GAV, I hope you are on the wind up because they really were pathetic.

Let me clairfy my position on this, having travelled the county for many years with Birdie, likewise my dad before me, I feel I am more than qualified to comment on his suitability to represent me in front of the new owners, and I’d much rather have members of the fans forum performing that role than Birdie.

I have nothing against the man, he really is Mr Blackburn Rovers in my eyes, but that doesn’t mean I want his talking to the new owners on my behalf.

Archived