BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pune trip

only2garners

So the Pune Trip? I know eight of those going, I regard them as friends, some I have asked, and received, for personal or professional help. They are all good people. As individuals I trust them and have no issue with them representing the fans in India. There are a host of "I trust your integrity BUT" posts on here. There will be none of those for me. I trust these people so why the need to put a "but" in there? Using the "but" creates an implication and attempts to excuse the poster from what he/she is about to say. I'm convinced the Pune 9/11 will report back accurately what they are shown or told.

I've thought a lot about this trip, to the extent of scribbling notes when ideas occurred to me. I don't want to re-open certain debates or drag this thread off topic so while I mention some other areas it is only to back up what I feel and why.

Over the last nine months we had the opportunity to judge the Rao family through their words and actions, whether we have reached the correct conclusions is difficult to answer. For me the family have, to date, failed our club, its support and therefore the community at every turn. BRFC was an institution one could respect and trust, sadly this no longer seems to be the case. We lack any senior management to guide the club, have owners who do little more than fire-fight the results of their decisions, changing their views on an almost daily basis to the extent one has to question if there is any truth behind any single statement from Venky's / Raos?

Mrs Desai, interviewed on Radio Lancashire, and in the LT, revealed her family's true colours and attitudes when she intimated the previous JW / TF regime had in some way mismanaged the club implying wrong doing. On Radio Lancashire she stated quite clearly Williams and Finn could remain at the club provided they "stayed in line." The whole tone of the interview was deeply unpleasant and suggested a highly autocratic individual used to saying one thing to control the masses while doing another. These two interviews, above all else, told me I should be very wary of anything our owners say or do.

For proof things have not changed yet look no further than the recruitment of a senior financial manager, possibly an FD. I understand an agency was employed to head-hunt and found a person who was recommended to Venky's. The Venky's then refused to pay the agency fee!! Consequently we still don't have any senior, local financial management.

I regard the Fans Forum as neutral or, perhaps obviously, leaning towards the fan view while enjoying a good understanding of the club's perspective on issues. It seemed to work well. For me the FF, as a body not the individuals, made an error in accepting the Pune invitation. These discussions should be taking place at Ewood. What has changed that necessitates a trip to Pune?

One has to ask how this trip will be portrayed in the Indian media? I fear the FF will, perhaps unwittingly, become a part of the Venky's PR circus which will surround Rovers visit and exhibition match. I feel we can be certain the Pune 9 will not be "disgruntled fans visiting the owners in India" as the UK media has / will portray it. The FF members are certain to be filmed at the game, probably interviewed etc, and there will be spin applied to these shots creating a positive image for the local population.

Should the Fans Forum become part of or be used by Venky's as part of the India PR offensive? I think not. The FF remit is to represent the fans not to become a part of the machine. The very presence of the FF at the Pune v Rovers game lends suport to the owners in their desire to build their existing brands through BRFC. The Raos will be portrayed as the kindly benefactors, not the owners who sack staff willy nilly, by its presence the FF is associated with this (the kindly bit, not the dismissals) and sadly is unlikely to have the voice to put an alternative view. We all know how the media work and I worry the FF has walked straight into the trap.

Is Venky's "success" or brand awareness of any relevance to Rovers? No. What matters is what happens in Blackburn, Lancashire not the Indian sub-continent. Shirt sales don't buy footballers.

Consider the senior staff who have left the club, those with deep experience of the English game and I presume the gumption to question the owner's actions. JW/TF/SA and others appear to have used their experience to ask the hard questions. Will the FF be able to do so? I cannot see how any of the real questions can or will be asked in Pune. Those who have questioned the owners in the past have left the club. If the FF representatives go all guns blazing it could finish any dialogue before it's even begun. I don't feel we should have any great expecations on this level. There will not be any answers. The FF can't be sacked but can be ignored in the future.

The general support may be disappointed if the FF does not bring back answers and in this respect the FF has put itself between a rock and a hard place. It's difficult to see how the FF can win this one. I think those going are very brave to do so, I don't believe the FF should do this but having made the decision I applaud you all for having the balls to go. I fear your returning message may be viewed as "influenced" but I believe you will report exactly what you have seen and been told. The question is this - will you be told the truth? What does recent history tell us?

In the past the ultimate judgement on our club, its management and owners, despite all the debate on here, has been reults / performance on the pitch and the published financial accounts.

If the Rao family want to regain my trust in them and the club's management I say two things:

Prove it on the pitch

Publish the accounts - do not attempt to bury BRFC activity in some corporate accounting structure

Until then I'll just continue to turn up and watch my team but I won't believe in your ownership. I and thousands of others have proved ourselves over the years - it's your turn now.

This post should be in message board gold and posted to the venky's, if the mods do the gold bit I will post it with Paul's permission

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter how hard I try to justify nine good folk jetting out to India, I can't really find an excuse for not doing the same in the home town of the team.

Great for those chosen, but what is being achieved? Where is the benefit? What is going to come out of it?

The only thing I can think of is; if you've got to fight for something (yes I know it's not a "real" fight) you do it on your own turf.

This is Blackburn Rovers, it does its business in England, not on the sub continent. Blackburn,that's where any discussions about this team should be, full stop.

• Backroom

As previously discussed we don't know if there will be a chance to ask and searching questions yet.

All we know is what is said on the official site:

The owners have kindly invited 9 of the Fans' Forum to travel to India to see the team in action, visit the Roverstars event and to learn more about them, their businesses and their home city.

There is likely to be an opportunity to engage informally with the owners and the visit should be seen as an important stage in increasing understanding and continuing to build the relationship.

The best thing the Pune 9 can do is to collectively advise Venky's that they will not be going as our club, if they haven't noticed, is in real crisis and they need to cancel the trip lock, stock and barrel and get their arses over here and listen to the supporters in open forum.

This would scupper what many suspect is a PR ploy.

Come on you Pune 9 - show some b@lls and tell Venky's where to go.

The best thing the Pune 9 can do is to collectively advise Venky's that they will not be going as our club, if they haven't noticed, is in real crisis and they need to cancel the trip lock, stock and barrel and get their arses over here and listen to the supporters in open forum.

This would scupper what many suspect is a PR ploy.

Come on you Pune 9 - show some b@lls and tell Venky's where to go.

Bit rich you telling people to show some balls when you showed a lack of a pair yourself against Sheff Weds, what happened to you and a big bloke giving it large to Kean?

No matter how hard I try to justify nine good folk jetting out to India, I can't really find an excuse for not doing the same in the home town of the team.

Great for those chosen, but what is being achieved? Where is the benefit? What is going to come out of it?

The only thing I can think of is; if you've got to fight for something (yes I know it's not a "real" fight) you do it on your own turf.

This is Blackburn Rovers, it does its business in England, not on the sub continent. Blackburn,that's where any discussions about this team should be, full stop.

spot on dave. how many extra fans have we got in india in the past year? what have they contributed?

never mind, next year eh ...

Exactly mercerman,why dont the chosen few put the ball into Venky's court and invite them to speak to the fans OVER HERE!

Talk about putting them well and truly into 'Check' :tu:

Totally agree. What a message that would send. Imagine the headlines in the press! Come on the9 do the right thing and make this selfless act - or forever be remebered as the 5th column. lol remember how that thread went? well the worm is well and truelly turned.

This post should be in message board gold and posted to the venky's, if the mods do the gold bit I will post it with Paul's permission

Thank you for the compliment. You can use my views in anyway you feel appropriate but please keep the in context.

Bit rich you telling people to show some balls when you showed a lack of a pair yourself against Sheff Weds, what happened to you and a big bloke giving it large to Kean?

Explained already but not going over old ground.

FFS - our club, IMO, is dying and some, like you, are engaging in childish tittle tattle.

The Pune 9 can make a HUGE statement on behalf of the supporters by NOT going. Scupper the PR ploy and let the world see that the MAJORITY of supporters, IMO, are p1ssed-off about what has gone on since Venky's took over.

I think the pune9 have put themselves in an awkward position now - they can do the club a big favour now by turning down this invite or they can be forever remembered as collaborators of the club's demise - because that is exactly how it will be portrayed in the pubs and streets. Time to decide your legacy - make the right decision and sacrifice the jolly!

I think the pune9 have put themselves in an awkward position now - they can do the club a big favour now by turning down this invite or they can be forever remembered as collaborators of the club's demise - because that is exactly how it will be portrayed in the pubs and streets. Time to decide your legacy - make the right decision and sacrifice the jolly!

You are of course right sentient turning the invitation down, insulting the owners and cutting all future ties with them is beneficial.

Tom, if you think its hot now imagine what it will be like next week after the city match! God knows the score but 8000 mancs rubbing it in for 90 minutes is NOT going to make for a happy bunch. If it was me I would be making a public statement NOW of thanks-but-no-thanks to the wengerboys. The pressure is only going to build Tom. Sorry abou that but it is true.

Archived