BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pune trip

only2garners

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ffs somebody else pointed out my error. i was admitting the fact rather than trying to cover it up!

get a life eh?

chill out,

GAV, on 22 September 2011 - 23:06 PM, said:Birdie is a bloody dinosaur, from a different time and ere, surely the last person we want meeting and representing the supporters.

His support for the club is admirable, but speaking for the fans? No thanks.

I'd not seen his name mentioned on here before and now suddenly he is mentioned in every post as being the salt of the earth Mr Blackburn.

Very strange

If it was the other Birdie and he was still around, heads would have been removed by now

:blink:

Let me clairfy my position on this, having travelled the county for many years with Birdie, likewise my dad before me, I feel I am more than qualified to comment on his suitability to represent me in front of the new owners, and I’d much rather have members of the fans forum performing that role than Birdie.

I have nothing against the man, he really is Mr Blackburn Rovers in my eyes, but that doesn’t mean I want his talking to the new owners on my behalf.

Gav - I think all cross sections of support should be included and no one section should be precluded on the basis of their 'suitability'.

It's simple, IMO, Birdie's contribution to Rovers' supporters and the club over many, many years should guarantee him a place at the table. I know that JW & TF would agree.

If it was the other Birdie and he was still around, heads would have been removed by now

:blink:

:D

Figuratively, indeed, and Venky's and Kean would not have had such an easy ride from the supporters !

Think he still is, he's a Rangers fan now though!

Indeed, the other Birdy is still around and is a Rangers fan these days.

Last spotted in the Havelock pub very early last saturday morning. :lol:

Heard many amusing tales from Rovers Birdy on the subject of now Rangers Birdy :lol:

We saw him at Blackpool last season in a boozer, think my dad went and hid under a table.

I worked with birdy back in the 80's when he was a mechanical Fitter in Darwen, Must say a lovely chap (on my side) but he did like a beer or two if you get my drift,I went home many a day worse for wear. ha ha:rolleyes:

Gav - I think all cross sections of support should be included and no one section should be precluded on the basis of their 'suitability'.

It's simple, IMO, Birdie's contribution to Rovers' supporters and the club over many, many years should guarantee him a place at the table. I know that JW & TF would agree.

Point taken mercerman, maybe I was a little hasty with my remarks on the subject.

Indeed, the other Birdy is still around and is a Rangers fan these days.

Last spotted in the Havelock pub very early last saturday morning. :lol:

Heard many amusing tales from Rovers Birdy on the subject of now Rangers Birdy :lol:

Birdy 2, as he was known by some, was a complete nutter of the highest order by all accounts.

Whilst my dad can spin a few yarns on his exploits from back in the 60's and early 70's, surely all the tales of birdy 2 couldn't have been made up.

Whilst my dad can spin a few yarns on his exploits from back in the 60's and early 70's, surely all the tales of birdy 2 couldn't have been made up.

Was it not Birdy 2 who was attacked by a police dog at Rochdale or wherever and was said to have literally "bitten" back :wacko::lol:

I worked with birdy back in the 80's when he was a mechanical Fitter in Darwen, Must say a lovely chap (on my side) but he did like a beer or two if you get my drift,I went home many a day worse for wear. ha ha:rolleyes:

worked at the same place as him in the 70's, Park Brothers, nearly always late for work having been on a session the night before, but he would do anything for you once you got past the hard exterior, great sense of humour too

Was it not Birdy 2 who was attacked by a police dog at Rochdale or wherever and was said to have literally "bitten" back :wacko::lol:

Not sure about that one, but he did cover a lad who was sleeping in lighter fluid on a coach coming back from an away game then proceeded to throw matches at him :wacko:

This explains it all now.

In my younger days, a fellow fan used to tell me about "Birdy" and his reputation for getting into real trouble. Birdy from Ewood Blues never seemed to fit that description.

I didn't realise until this discussion that there are two Birdy's. Thanks guys, everything's become much clearer.

Did you? I never knew that about you Alan. Did they invite you or did you break the door down? I mean if you broke the door down fair enough but if they personally invited you, well, honestly. What makes you think your better suited than 20,000 others to have coffee and sandwiches with TF and JW? That's some statement I've made for you there. Did they have biscuits by the way? Digestives? Chocolate ones? Where are the minutes and film footage Alan!! What are you hiding!?

God damn is the whole world corrupt?! I'm off to "interrogate" the truth out of the wife and kids to see what the hell they've been up to. Passing pleasantries with people in the club shop no doubt. Rotten to their core.

Best post on the thread.

Birdie 2 was the much bigger guy?

In the 70s you knew nearly every fan to nod to....but not Birdie 2 he looked so 'unpredictable'.

And then in the 90s it was like a new(and welcome) legion of new fans.

The Pune Raos are part of the elite class and I hope the Pune 9 are practicising their etiquette.

One clue...take your shoes off at the door and for 'gods sake' wear clean socks!!

So the Pune Trip? I know eight of those going, I regard them as friends, some I have asked, and received, for personal or professional help. They are all good people. As individuals I trust them and have no issue with them representing the fans in India. There are a host of "I trust your integrity BUT" posts on here. There will be none of those for me. I trust these people so why the need to put a "but" in there? Using the "but" creates an implication and attempts to excuse the poster from what he/she is about to say. I'm convinced the Pune 9/11 will report back accurately what they are shown or told.

I've thought a lot about this trip, to the extent of scribbling notes when ideas occurred to me. I don't want to re-open certain debates or drag this thread off topic so while I mention some other areas it is only to back up what I feel and why.

Over the last nine months we had the opportunity to judge the Rao family through their words and actions, whether we have reached the correct conclusions is difficult to answer. For me the family have, to date, failed our club, its support and therefore the community at every turn. BRFC was an institution one could respect and trust, sadly this no longer seems to be the case. We lack any senior management to guide the club, have owners who do little more than fire-fight the results of their decisions, changing their views on an almost daily basis to the extent one has to question if there is any truth behind any single statement from Venky's / Raos?

Mrs Desai, interviewed on Radio Lancashire, and in the LT, revealed her family's true colours and attitudes when she intimated the previous JW / TF regime had in some way mismanaged the club implying wrong doing. On Radio Lancashire she stated quite clearly Williams and Finn could remain at the club provided they "stayed in line." The whole tone of the interview was deeply unpleasant and suggested a highly autocratic individual used to saying one thing to control the masses while doing another. These two interviews, above all else, told me I should be very wary of anything our owners say or do.

For proof things have not changed yet look no further than the recruitment of a senior financial manager, possibly an FD. I understand an agency was employed to head-hunt and found a person who was recommended to Venky's. The Venky's then refused to pay the agency fee!! Consequently we still don't have any senior, local financial management.

I regard the Fans Forum as neutral or, perhaps obviously, leaning towards the fan view while enjoying a good understanding of the club's perspective on issues. It seemed to work well. For me the FF, as a body not the individuals, made an error in accepting the Pune invitation. These discussions should be taking place at Ewood. What has changed that necessitates a trip to Pune?

One has to ask how this trip will be portrayed in the Indian media? I fear the FF will, perhaps unwittingly, become a part of the Venky's PR circus which will surround Rovers visit and exhibition match. I feel we can be certain the Pune 9 will not be "disgruntled fans visiting the owners in India" as the UK media has / will portray it. The FF members are certain to be filmed at the game, probably interviewed etc, and there will be spin applied to these shots creating a positive image for the local population.

Should the Fans Forum become part of or be used by Venky's as part of the India PR offensive? I think not. The FF remit is to represent the fans not to become a part of the machine. The very presence of the FF at the Pune v Rovers game lends suport to the owners in their desire to build their existing brands through BRFC. The Raos will be portrayed as the kindly benefactors, not the owners who sack staff willy nilly, by its presence the FF is associated with this (the kindly bit, not the dismissals) and sadly is unlikely to have the voice to put an alternative view. We all know how the media work and I worry the FF has walked straight into the trap.

Is Venky's "success" or brand awareness of any relevance to Rovers? No. What matters is what happens in Blackburn, Lancashire not the Indian sub-continent. Shirt sales don't buy footballers.

Consider the senior staff who have left the club, those with deep experience of the English game and I presume the gumption to question the owner's actions. JW/TF/SA and others appear to have used their experience to ask the hard questions. Will the FF be able to do so? I cannot see how any of the real questions can or will be asked in Pune. Those who have questioned the owners in the past have left the club. If the FF representatives go all guns blazing it could finish any dialogue before it's even begun. I don't feel we should have any great expecations on this level. There will not be any answers. The FF can't be sacked but can be ignored in the future.

The general support may be disappointed if the FF does not bring back answers and in this respect the FF has put itself between a rock and a hard place. It's difficult to see how the FF can win this one. I think those going are very brave to do so, I don't believe the FF should do this but having made the decision I applaud you all for having the balls to go. I fear your returning message may be viewed as "influenced" but I believe you will report exactly what you have seen and been told. The question is this - will you be told the truth? What does recent history tell us?

In the past the ultimate judgement on our club, its management and owners, despite all the debate on here, has been reults / performance on the pitch and the published financial accounts.

If the Rao family want to regain my trust in them and the club's management I say two things:

Prove it on the pitch

Publish the accounts - do not attempt to bury BRFC activity in some corporate accounting structure

Until then I'll just continue to turn up and watch my team but I won't believe in your ownership. I and thousands of others have proved ourselves over the years - it's your turn now.

Archived