BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What would it need for you to wholly support Venkys as owners of The Club?

Venkys have been our owners for 10 months now. It has no doubt been as torrid a time for them as it has been for us. Now we know where we are, given a clean bit of paper, what would you have the owners do or say to right the past wrongs and move the club forward in a positive way?

My 12 step plan for the Raos to salvage their reputation (and the season):

1. Sack Kean.

2. Appoint a competent, experienced PL manager, or at least one with experience at the Championship and overseas.

3. Let the new manager select his own backroom team in total.

4. Give the new manager final say on all transfers (in and out).

5. Vest the new manager with complete authority with squad selection and tactics.

6. Appoint a chairman who is respected and experienced within the football world.

7. Let the chairman select the in house staff.

8. Give the new chairman objectives, but otherwise stay out of his hair.

9. If someone is to travel to Pune, it should be the chairman not the manager.

10. Stop talking. Credibility is impaired with talk of 'marquee' signings which never materialize (the time to talk is when the deal is signed) or Europe qualification when we are relegation candidates (concentrate on building a team that can survive in the PL, anything else is a bonus).

11. Have one of the three owners meet with the Fans Forum on a regular basis (I'd suggest at least quarterly) to discuss on and off field matters. In addition, it may also be prudent to appoint at least one supporter, perhaps two, as a director.

12. Keep their pledge to put 5 million into the club each transfer window and re-invest ALL profits into the Rovers.

1. Sack Kean.

2. Appoint a competent, experienced PL manager, or at least one with experience at the Championship and overseas.

5. Vest the new manager with complete authority with squad selection and tactics.

6. Appoint a chairman who is respected and experienced within the football world.

10. Stop talking. Credibility is impaired with talk of 'marquee' signings which never materialize (the time to talk is when the deal is signed) or Europe qualification when we are relegation candidates (concentrate on building a team that can survive in the PL, anything else is a bonus).

11. Have one of the three owners meet with the Fans Forum on a regular basis (I'd suggest at least quarterly) to discuss on and off field matters. In addition, it may also be prudent to appoint at least one supporter, perhaps two, as a director.

12. Keep their pledge to put 5 million into the club each transfer window and re-invest ALL profits into the Rovers.

Agree with most of that, but doesnt point 11 contradict points 6 and 10? The chairman should meet the fans and report back to the owners as per point 9. With a competent chairman in place I wouldnt care if the Venkys never came over here.

So, Abbey, Venky's out in your opinion?

Where do you think that would that leave us? Who do you think might take over given the time it took for the trust to sell us? I don't agree but just interested to know where you envisage your wish would leave us?

1. Sack Kean.

I agree with all your points and hopefully the owners will do all points!

We need to Kean and appoint a new PL experience manager ASAP!!!

Then appoint a new chairman/CEO to run the club for them.

Roversmum, do you think Kean is the right manager for rovers? if so, why???

So, Abbey, Venky's out in your opinion?

Where do you think that would that leave us? Who do you think might take over given the time it took for the trust to sell us? I don't agree but just interested to know where you envisage your wish would leave us?

as opposed to what the venkys have done ? We are a laughing stock and face relegation! You may have venky love but look at it without venky blinkers!

The thread is what they could do the only thing in my opinion is for them to sell us , no I dont know of any buyers , I'm not privy to such info. But if you think they are doing a good job them that is up to you. I honestly hand on heart see them taking us down, pocketing whatever they can and making us bust. As for they are intelligent well so was al Capone !

1. Sack Kean.

Just leave at a 10 step plan.

Numbers 11 and 12 are not needed if they are successful with 1 to 10.

Pick up the phone and apologise to our previous Chairman and MD and ask if there might be any chance they would considering returning under this new regime.

Just leave at a 10 step plan.

Numbers 11 and 12 are not needed if they are successful with 1 to 10.

Pick up the phone and apologise to our previous Chairman and MD and ask if there might be any chance they would considering returning under this new regime.

It should be remembered that they left of their own accord. Again, it isn't what folk want to hear but that's the way it was. And before I start getting slated for this I was as upset as anyone, indeed probably more at the time as to me they were the spirit of Blackburn Rovers FC.

However we now have a perfectly able Deputy CEO in Paul Hunt whom I personally hope will be at the club for many years. We also have an extremely capable Director of Sport in Simon Hunt.

Is it only 10 months? It feels a lot longer! :(

This thread reminds me of an e-mail conversation I'm having with 2 old mates about the state of the English Rugby Football Union in the aftermath of our being knocked out of the World Cup.

What I'd have Venky's do, as well as the obvious first step ["Taxi for Kean!"], is to have a root-and-branch examination of the club, and see where it fits within their overall businesses. I don't know if the owners see it like this; but if we look on the club as the Blackburn Rovers division of Venky's International, so to speak; I think it has to have a structure similar to what was outlined by Barnesy on another thread last night:

A new Chief Executive with full control at Ewood Park could have been brought in. He/She would only be answerable to the Venky's on the objectives they set him/her. eg. Finish mid-table or secure a wage reduction of 10% over twelve months etc. How the chief executive went about this would be up to him/her and the Board. So he/she would recommend a manager/assistant/players to the Board and deal with all contractual matters/agents etc. Venky's would gain from any objectives achieved by an increase in their brand.

Barnesy went on to suggest Gordon Taylor for that role, but I don't think Venky's would be prepared to match the salary he gets at the PFA.

For the purposes of this thread, let's call that role Chief Operating Officer [yes I know - C.O.O! ^_^ ; I've used that title because I don't know how extensive within Venky's International is the role of C.E.O.] of the Blackburn Rovers division of Venky's International; and, following Barnesy's suggestion, give him/her [Karen Brady?! :o ] responsibility, in consultation with the owners, for appointing [and sacking, if results on the field weren't satisfactory] the Manager of the playing side of the operations. Those requirements mean that the person appointed must be someone who knows the English game inside-out; and has decent, reliable, contacts who could be trusted to put assisting the club as their first priority.

In addition, I think that C.O.O. would need to say to the owners, politely but firmly, that all public statements about the club's aims and objectives; progress; etc should, again after consultation with them, be his responsibility. That would eliminate the risk of risibly ambitious off-the-cuff remarks being broadcast around the world thereby making us look a more realistic, professonal, outfit than we have for the last 10 months.

I've no inside contacts at Ewood/Brockhall; so I don't know if what I've suggested above is close to the system which applied when the Trust owned us; but I can't help wondering whether it is. If it is, I'd remind the owners of the old phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Simon in essence in a chief scout type role and Paul has a much narrow remit than Williams and Finn had.

That quality has not been replaced in my eyes.

It's pretty simple.

1) Sack Kean

2) Appoint a competent replacement

3) Recreate a corporate structure that is fit for purpose- if that means bumping up Paul Hunt's role, than so be it.

It should be remembered that they left of their own accord. Again, it isn't what folk want to hear but that's the way it was. And before I start getting slated for this I was as upset as anyone, indeed probably more at the time as to me they were the spirit of Blackburn Rovers FC.

However we now have a perfectly able Deputy CEO in Paul Hunt whom I personally hope will be at the club for many years. We also have an extremely capable Director of Sport in Simon Hunt.

Just a couple of questions on this -

1. If John Williams leaving was truly of his own accord, then why did Venkys pay him compensation ? There is a direct quote from Mrs D in the LET on 5/2/11 saying that 'we have agreed a settlement with him'.

2. If Paul Hunt is the Deputy CEO, then who is the CEO ?

They left of their own accord? What a load of tosh! They may very well have agreed to a compromise agreement which paid for their silence, but sorry you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that they just happenend to move on.

Anyway this has been discussed umpteen times elsewhere on this site and not a discussion for here.

All I was pondering was that if our owners have had their road to Damascus moment, they may feel that we had great management this time last year and perhaps felt able to recapture it. Highly doubtful to happen from either side I know.

It should be remembered that they left of their own accord. Again, it isn't what folk want to hear but that's the way it was.

They left because they didn't believe in Venky's mum. That's quite obvious. So far, they've been shown right not to believe in them.

Thing is, there's leaving of your own accord i.e. walking because you see better opportunities elsewhere or because you take one look at the new owners and then decide there's no chance of your ever working with them. And neither of those would seem to be the case with either Williams or Finn. Then there's the gradually decide that your everyday working life just is not worth the constant undermining and hassle you feel, rightly or wrongly, you are taking and so the best solution is for you to walk whilst you still feel your dignity and credibility is intact, which is what i suspect happened here.

At the moment, working conditions in our place are not good. There are quite a number of staff who 6 months ago would never have contemplated working elsewhere who are now scouring the pages of the TES on a regular basis. There's been no big fall outs, but it just doesn't feel like the same place, stress levels are rising for all kinds of reasons and some are ready to walk, even though they were prepared to give it a go in the first place. However, a new deputy has come in and told us we are not doing well enough despite high parental satisfaction rates, and record GCSE passes in many subjects. People who worked their socks off to produce those results are quite rightly cheesed off, especially when a new building leaks, the IT doesn't work, the whole place gets flooded and we've only actually done 2 full weeks with all pupils in school not through any desire not to do our jobs but because of other people's failures. I think it was the same sort of thing at Rovers.

Archived