BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Indian Media

IF Kean is staying as seems likely (not my preferred choice btw) and IF he manages to keep us up despite the rudderless fiasco we currently are then you could almost argue he'll deserve the Manager of the Year gong.

Just a thought...

If Kean keeps us up, it's nailed on he'll get manager of the year.

Talk about bittersweet.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a grip man

The Rovers will be here long after the chicken slayers have fled

The point was that after Jack Walker, no-one knew what would happen.

You're probably right though Yoda, football clubs are fairly secure businesses. This surprised me. What do these clubs have in common?:

Charlton 1984

Middlesbrough 1986

Tranmere 1987

Newport County 1989

Walsall 1990

Northampton 1992

Kettering 1992

Aldershot 1992

Maidstone 1992

Hartlepool 1994

Barnet 1994

Exeter 1994, 2003

Gillingham 1995

Doncaster 1997

Millwall 1997

Bournemouth 1997, 2008

Darlington 1997, 2009

Chester 1998, 2009

Hereford 1998

Portsmouth 1999, 2010

Crystal Palace 1999, 2010

Oxford Utd 1999

Barrow 1999

Swindon 2000, 2002

Scarborough 2000

Hull 2001

QPR 2001

Chesterfield 2001

Leicester 2002

Barnsley 2002

Carlisle 2002

Notts County 2002

Bury 2002

Bradford 2002

Port Vale 2002

Lincoln City 2002

Swansea City 2002

York 2002

Halifax Town 2002, 2008

Derby 2003

Ipswich 2003

Huddersfield 2003

Oldham 2003

MK Dons 2003

Wimbledon 2003

Wrexham 2004

Cambridge 2005

Crawley Town 2006

Rotherham 2006, 2008

Leeds United 2007

Boston United 2007

Southampton 2008

Luton 2008

Stockport 2009

Salisbury 2009

answer - it's a complete list of football clubs that have entered administration or a CVA in the last 25 years.

The point was that after Jack Walker, no-one knew what would happen.

You're probably right though Yoda, football clubs are fairly secure businesses. This surprised me. What do these clubs have in common?:

Charlton 1984

Middlesbrough 1986

Tranmere 1987

Newport County 1989

Walsall 1990

Northampton 1992

Kettering 1992

Aldershot 1992

Maidstone 1992

Hartlepool 1994

Barnet 1994

Exeter 1994, 2003

Gillingham 1995

Doncaster 1997

Millwall 1997

Bournemouth 1997, 2008

Darlington 1997, 2009

Chester 1998, 2009

Hereford 1998

Portsmouth 1999, 2010

Crystal Palace 1999, 2010

Oxford Utd 1999

Barrow 1999

Swindon 2000, 2002

Scarborough 2000

Hull 2001

QPR 2001

Chesterfield 2001

Leicester 2002

Barnsley 2002

Carlisle 2002

Notts County 2002

Bury 2002

Bradford 2002

Port Vale 2002

Lincoln City 2002

Swansea City 2002

York 2002

Halifax Town 2002, 2008

Derby 2003

Ipswich 2003

Huddersfield 2003

Oldham 2003

MK Dons 2003

Wimbledon 2003

Wrexham 2004

Cambridge 2005

Crawley Town 2006

Rotherham 2006, 2008

Leeds United 2007

Boston United 2007

Southampton 2008

Luton 2008

Stockport 2009

Salisbury 2009

answer - it's a complete list of football clubs that have entered administration or a CVA in the last 25 years.

And they still exist

And most of them are lower league and so we could have been in the same position had Jack not come along.

Moot point

Or even non-League.

Poor Darlington may be a Sunday league team this time next week.

Hey great idea for a bit of fun.......

So there you are sat high up in a tree at a garden party in Pune with a high powered snipers rifle containing just 3 bullets and with a perfect view of the top table. Around the table are seated Balaji, Venkatesh, Mrs D, Dastardly and Muttley.

So who gets it?

For my part Venky and Muttley might just live to tell the tale.

Surely with only 3 shots and five targets one would just wait till 2-3 heads were aligned?

Or even non-League.

I remember celebrating in the Manxman after we stuffed Manu at home, Shearer had scored and we went on to win the PL, a couple of the mates said are you not getting carried away a bit, I said no, enjoy it while you can, you may not see this again.

Thats one of the benifits of following since 1965, you learn to take the high's with the low's

Or even non-League.

One of the teams on the list, Exeter City, is my local team. It amassed significant debts and had to enter into a CVA after being relegated and financially mismanaged by two crooks who were senior directors of the club. There remain allegations of financial wrongdoing by others involved in the web of ownership/executive level management at the time. Those crooks shrouded their mismanagement in bold statements and high profile gestures including parading a celebrity pop star (Michael Jackson) and others around as 'fans' of the club. Sound familiar to Rovers' overlords and their celeb pals eg Akon?

Ultimately, the ridding of the club of these criminals (they have been convicted) was perhaps the start of a long road to redemption as a small city club maintained through a Supporters Trust. Exeter now compete in League One having been a debt-ridden struggling Conference club when their former Directors were kicked out.

I would be sad to see Rovers enter administration and deeply saddened if they had to start from anywhere near the depths that Exeter did. But I firmly believe that Exeter's battle was worthwhile to rid it of the criminals and the parasites who were leeching celebrity status and supporters' cash and to re-establish its 'community club' tradition. Applying the same logic to Rovers' situation (which I stress is different and does not involve convicted criminals or any evidenced criminal behaviour) I would be willing for Rovers to join that long list of clubs if it was to be set free of Venkys and put on a similar path to redemption and security.

I would be far, far happier if we were released by Venkys without becoming another name on that list.

Kean's just as bad as Venkys for me. Hes played on their nativity, back stabbed (allegedly) and made money from it all. Aswell as making numerous unforgivable comments. I'll always support Rovers, but Kean and Venkys will never have my support. I won't be happy till they're both gone, and I'd happily take league 1 football for that reality.

IF Kean is staying as seems likely (not my preferred choice btw) and IF he manages to keep us up despite the rudderless fiasco we currently are then you could almost argue he'll deserve the Manager of the Year gong.

Just a thought...

and a very bad one.

Just a thought...

If we do stay up, it will have nothing to do with Kean but the awfulness of the other teams around us. The way the season is going, it looks like you just have to be incompetent to survive.

If kean won any award the real question is what the hell were the other 19 managers doing!

He is the worst manager in the league, there will always be teams who strugle but this man took a mid table team, brought in his players and now where are we.

He is as much to blame as Venkys, as he himself keeps saying he talks to the owners weekly or whatever.

He must be having some kind of input in this mess.

I remember celebrating in the Manxman after we stuffed Manu at home, Shearer had scored and we went on to win the PL, a couple of the mates said are you not getting carried away a bit, I said no, enjoy it while you can, you may not see this again.

Thats one of the benifits of following since 1965, you learn to take the high's with the low's

You dont remember very well then Yoda as the season we won the league we lost both home and away against ManU

A fairly benign article really, although it does at least draw some attention to the failure of Venkys in the football world.

At Ewood Park, the Rovers' home base, Venky's was received with the same fervour reserved for messiahs

However, I certainly don't remember at any point receiving Venkys as messiahs?? :blink:

Apart from some clear inaccuracies, thats a pretty good read and I hope will be seen by many people in India (Kamy- any idea of readership numbers?). Thanks to those Rovers fans who played a part in getting a quite lengthy article compiled and published.

I have felt for a while (since talk of taking out a full page 'article' in Indian press several months ago) that the only way to have any impact on Venkys would be to embarass them in their own national media. I hope this is about to happen. Not sure what the outcome will be but they deserve all the criticism they could get and hopefully some shaming into action through being painted as an Indian business failing in the international market.

Archived