BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What is our best team for the run-in?

What it says on the tin really, what side should we look to put out in order to have a good chance of survival?

Paul Robinson

Bradley Orr

Scott Dann

Chris Samba

Gael Givet

Junior Hoilett

Steven Nzonzi

Jason Lowe

Martin Olsson

Mauro Formica

Yakubu

4-4-1-1. We need to avoid playing Pedersen, I hope Dann can build on a decent showing with Samba beside him, I think Olsson is better further forward and because I think Lowe and Givet are both suspended for 2 more games, I'd play Vukcevic and Petrovic with a bit of a reshuffle.

I don't understand how Pedersen has got into your team, he can't pass, tackle, he's slow, and a total liability. We can't carry him in the hope of something from a set-piece.

Surely Formica or Vukcevic would be a better bet?

The other interesting call is Dann at right back. I've never seen him play there before, surely Orr, Henley or even Hanley can do a better job there?

If Dann is rubbish then we can put someone else there, but I think he's worth a try as I don't think Orr is the answer based on what I've seen so far. He's got far too many errors in him. Hanley looks terrible there though and Henley is a good prospect, but I don't like the thought of an 18 year playing defence in a relegation scrap. Apparently Dann has played right back before.

Pedersen gets too much of a hard time on here. He covers far more ground than any other wide player we have. I bet our full backs would vouch for his worth in the team. Our best chance of scoring a goal (other than Yakubu) is from a set piece, so it's another strong reason for including him.

Robinson

Orr Samba Dann Givet

Hoilett N'Zonzi Lowe Olsson

Formica

Yakubu

This is of course based on the somewhat shaky assumption that Orr is dependable enough to hold the fort at right back without much help from Hoilett, but other than that* this team should be able to beat the drop. It's defensively solid and Hoilett, Formica and Yakubu all have goals in them. The toughest choice was leaving Pedersen out of the team, but in the choice between his set pieces and Olssons energy the latter prevailed.

*I assume that the management goes without saying.

Robinson

Orr Samba* Dann Olsson

Lowe NZonzi

Simon^ Formica Hoilett

Yakubu

*If new contract is signed allowing him to leave at end of season

^Replaced with Rochina for games against mid table opposition (Norwich, Swansea, Everton, etc). Not suitable for the Bolton's, Wigan's, Wolves games.

Assuming Samba emerges from his tent, if not Hanley should start over Dann.

Robbo

Orr

Samba

Givet

Olsson

N'Zonzi

Lowe

Simon

Formica

Hoilett

Yakubu

I've said it before but sticking with deadwood like Dunn and Pedersen will see us relegated. Formica came in Saturday and was motm for me - streets ahead if anything either of those 2 have managed, certainly this season.

Dunny is too easily marked out of games, and is a better option from the bench.

And I wish people would drop this myth about Pedersen's work rate - he might run around a bit but to no effect. I counted at least 3 times in the first half alone against QPR when he did his impression of closing someone down (which basically involves him standing 20 feet away roughly facing the opposition player) and Formica ran past him to pressure the player properly and put a tackle in. If you think he deserves to start you either don't go to games, have your judgment clouded by sentiment or both. No way he deserves to play, and the team is clearly weaker with him in it.

Becoming more and more impressed with Formica. A must start for me, workrate, touch, vision, eye for a goal. If he had an extra bit of pace... well he wouldn't be playing for us, would he?

Donkey Dann out, give Lowe and N'zonzi a few games together in midfield and see how we go.

Becoming more and more impressed with Formica. A must start for me, workrate, touch, vision, eye for a goal. If he had an extra bit of pace... well he wouldn't be playing for us, would he?

Donkey Dann out, give Lowe and N'zonzi a few games together in midfield and see how we go.

Starting to look a stereotypical Argie player in my opinion, small,tricky,hard working, which is exactly whats needed in a dog fight.

Gk - Robbo

Rb - Orr/Henley

Lb - Olsson

Cb - Samba if he stops sulking or Dann

Cb - GIvet

Dm - Lowe

Dm - Nzonzi

Am - Hoillet

Am - Dunn

Am - Formica

St - Yakubu

GK - Robbo

LB - Olsson

RB - Henley/Orr

CB - Hanley/Dann

CB - Givet

DM - N'zonzi

DM - Lowe

LW - Hoilett

AM - Formica

RW - Vukevic/Pedersen

ST - Yakubu

RW is a hard call, Pedersen has shown he is useful enough on his day, and has scored some important goals recently, and Vukevic is arguably a relatively unknown quantity. If we were a bit higher up the table I think he would be worth a run in the side to see what he is really like. Under the circumstances it would be brave to give him this chance, but it might be a worthwhile gamble. I definitely would not substitute in Henley as at RW as Kean did against QPR...

Other than that, I think that Henley could do just as good a job and not make any more mistakes than Orr from what I've seen watching the matches on TV. Dann is not a ball playing defender, so I don't think he would be an option at RB as was suggested, he would be too one dimensional there, IMHO. Hanley has earned his chance to get a run in the team, and I exclude Samba for the simple reason that the saga changes every day from different stances by the club and I don't think it will be resolved to the point to where he will have a meaningful impact in the last third of this season.

For the next couple of matches it will have to be Hanley and Dann at CB.

What it says on the tin really, what side should we look to put out in order to have a good chance of survival?

Paul Robinson

Bradley Orr

Scott Dann

Chris Samba

Gael Givet

Junior Hoilett

Steven Nzonzi

Jason Lowe

Martin Olsson

Mauro Formica

Yakubu

4-4-1-1. We need to avoid playing Pedersen, I hope Dann can build on a decent showing with Samba beside him, I think Olsson is better further forward and because I think Lowe and Givet are both suspended for 2 more games, I'd play Vukcevic and Petrovic with a bit of a reshuffle.

First try and you got it right! Formica has earned a place in the starting line-up and if he's playing well don't take him off you idiot Kean! I liked Orr when he was going for promotion with Bristol City and I don't think that mistake on Saturday should write him off.

Hanley for Dann possibly. Absolutely always want Ollson playing up the field. Not a bad looking side that.

Some depth on the bench too. How come we're near the bottom?!!!!

I still reckon we should try a back 5 (Dann if he ever gets his form back, Hanley, Samba, Givet should be able to make a good back three) the way we play and with the likes of Jnr, Formica and the Yak who can create things.

Against big teams (5-2-2-1)

GKx1 - Robinson

RBx1 - Orr (not a fan but what options do we have)/Henley

LBx1 - Olsson

CBx3 - Three from Samba, Dann, Hanley and Givet

DMx2 - Lowe and Nzonzi(providing support for attacking mid)

AMx2 - Jnr and Formica

STx1 - Yak

Bench: Bunn, CB from above, Peders/Petro, Simon, Modeste, Henley, Rochina

For mid range opposition (4-2-3-1)

GKx1 - As above

RBx1 - As above

LBx1 - As above

CBx2 - Two from Samba, Dann, Hanley and Givet

DMx2 - As above

AMx3 - Jnr, Simon and Formica

STx1 - the Yak

Bench: Bunn, CB from above, Petro, Peders, Modeste, Rochina, Henley

For weak opposition (4-4-2)

GKx1 - As above

RBx1 - As above

LBx1 - As above

CBx2 - Two from Samba, Hanley and Givet

DMx2 - As above

AMx2 - Jnr and Formica

STx2 - Yak and Rochina

Bench: Bunn, CB from above, Peders, Simon, Modeste, Petro, Henley

One not managed by Steve Kean.

I do wish your return to posting meant something was afoot at Ewood as usually you are more active on here when you know something the rest of us don't, but I suspect from the manner of your posts that is not the case this time, more's the pity. Gone are the days when I came on here with any hope of finding that Kean had gone. Even longer gone are the days when you could see the owners as an obtuse set of naive idiots who were not wilfully and deliberately screwing things up. Now I just come on out of nostalgia for the days when we could discuss football, not finances, or lack of them.

Robinson

Orr Samba* Dann Olsson

Lowe NZonzi

Simon^ Formica Hoilett

Yakubu

*If new contract is signed allowing him to leave at end of season

^Replaced with Rochina for games against mid table opposition (Norwich, Swansea, Everton, etc). Not suitable for the Bolton's, Wigan's, Wolves games.

Agree with this team. While Peds hasn't been as bad as some say - and in fact has scored a couple of goals and provided decent set pieces recently - surely Vukcevic deserves a crack? At least a regular 30 mins or so towards the end of the game.

He has a decent set piece too, creative, seems to work hard....?

Am I right in saying Lowe is suspended for 2 games? (daft rule if you ask me)

Who would people partner n'zonzi with for these?

I would go for pedersen even though IMO Petrovic and Pedersen can be as useless as each other some games Pedersen has more experience and has worked before with n'zonzi, and then I would either push olsson forward with Henley at left back or choose one of Simon or Rochina (these guys need games to see what they can do) The amount of times Petrovic and Pedersen gave the ball away and didnt tackle against Arsenal was horrible to watch, having them both on the field wouldnt be my first option at the moment especially against man city.

Petrovic or Pedersen could and can have good games but at the moment its anybodys guess if they will from one game to the next.

Archived