BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves V Rovers Preview

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of the very few ganes we will ever play where I think Kean can't screw things up too bad cos the manager of the other team is probably as bad.

In saying that i'm sure the idiot will still do his best to screw it up.

Scored draw would be the best we can hope for. With "plently positives" being the order of the day from the idiot. But in fact we will probably just get lucky.

Well at least we'll be playing a team with an even more out-of-depth manager than our own. Terry Connor's 'positive' interview after a 5-0 thrashing was painful to watch, and scarily reminiscent of our very own Clown.

Indeed, I've read some old favourites like:

'we need to dust ourselves down and get back on the training ground',

I imagine this game will be quite eventful but not one for the purists, both teams are rather embarrassing at the moment, certainly defensively.

I'm hoping the team sort of picks itself given the form of certain players:

Robinson

Orr Hanley Givet Olsson

Lowe N'Zonzi

Pedersen Dunn Hoilett

Yakubu

Although I've got a suspicion that Dann will start and Hanley will be unfairly dropped.

Wonder what peoples opinion of this match is - must win, or must not lose ?

Personally I am in the must not lose camp - though that will put even more pressure on the match at the Reebok. Having said that - we will have to go for it, as otehr people have mentioned, we can't go to contain as we just don't have the players, or manager to do this.

I imagine this game will be quite eventful but not one for the purists, both teams are rather embarrassing at the moment, certainly defensively.

Robinson

Orr Hanley Givet Olsson

Lowe N'Zonzi

Pedersen Dunn Hoilett

Yakubu

Although I've got a suspicion that Dann will start and Hanley will be unfairly dropped.

It's really quite alarming when compare against the teamthat kept us up last year at Monylieux - Samba, Jermain Jones, Phil Jones all gone. They were our three best players and vocal leaders in the run in. The only addition of quality has been Yakubu. Formica has had a few good games, Rochina fewer, Dann and Goodwillie even fewer than that. Vukcevic has hardly appeared. Petrovic has been downright awul for the most part.

Robinson

Orr Hanley Givet Olsson

Lowe N'Zonzi

Pedersen Dunn Hoilett

Yakubu

I would push Olsson into midfield, with Givet at left back. Dunn to drop to the bench - with Pedersen just behind the Yak.

With the likes of Samba/Nelsen/Jones being in the squad over recent years, it wasn't considered much of a 'waste' to put Givet at left back because we always had a few players who were at least his equal at centre back.

With all those long gone though, Givet is the best centre half we have by a country mile now. We can't afford to play him out of position any longer, he has to start centrally in every game that he is available.

no way do we want givet at left back, he's no good there, neither is ollson IMO however we have limited options.

Robbo

Lowe, Dann, Givet, Ollson

Nzonzi

Hoillet Dunn Pedersen Vuckevic

Yakubu - this is a sensible line up

Robbo

Lowe, Dann, Givet, Henley

Nzonzi

Hoillet Dunn Rochina Ollson

Yak - this team i would like to see

For wolves away, I would like to see

Robinson

Orr Hanley Givet Martin

Lowe Dunn Nzonzi Pedersen

Hoilett

Yakubu

Maybe a bit too defensive at this time of the season though.

I fully expect kean to pick this team

Robinson

Lowe Givet Dann Martin

Nzonzi Petrovic

Hoilett Dunn Pedersen

Yakubu

I would actually give him a small amount of credit if he started with orr at right back, givet instead of dann, lowe in midfield and didn't start with petrovic.

Robbo

Orr Hanley Givet Ollson

Hoillet Lowe Dunn NZonzi Ollson

Yak

This. Dunn should start as he was our outfield motm on Saturday by a mile, and Dann should be dropped as Hanley is clearly a better bet at the moment. Orr did nothing wrong to deserve to be dropped, and we desperately need Lowe in central midfield.

As we'll likely be playing on the counter attack, Marcus Olsson's pace out wide is a far better option than Pedersen, and although he did slightly up his game in the second half on Saturday, Lowe and N'Zonzi are both vastly superior options in central midfield than Peds so he's got to be dropped (and not way before time) for me.

This game is massive. A win wont guarantee we stay up but I fear that a defeat will guarantee that we go down. If Kean gets out-thought tactically by Terry Connor I wonder what excuse he will have.

On a side issue....has there ever been a game in the Premiership where both managers have been so out of their depth. I can think of loads where one manager is absolutely clueless (the last 40-0dd premiership games that Rovers have played in spring to mind), but not both.

I can't see Pedersen being dropped. My money is on Marcus Olsson being on the bench despite a decent performance on Sat.

Incidentally it is totally mental that a second division Swedish new arrival (Marcus) is preferred to an established international with CL experience (Vukcevic).

I really want to know what happened with the Vukcevic transfer. I am bemused. Cost us a sizable fee and wage, has real pedigree, but as of today 2/3rds of the season has gone and he has had (I think) 2 starts. In the seven games in total he has been involved in he has not looked amazing but certainly decent enough, working hard and showing quality on the ball.

This game is massive. A win wont guarantee we stay up but I fear that a defeat will guarantee that we go down. If Kean gets out-thought tactically by Terry Connor I wonder what excuse he will have.

On a side issue....has there ever been a game in the Premiership where both managers have been so out of their depth. I can think of loads where one manager is absolutely clueless (the last 40-0dd premiership games that Rovers have played in spring to mind), but not both.

Having heard Terry Connor after their walloping yesterday, I think I've actually heard someone less equipped than Baldrick to be a Premier League manager.

Plus it's another of those weekends when 4 of the bottom 5 are playing each other. Bolton v. QPR is the lunchtime game on Saturday so, by the time that game's over, we'll know exactly what we need to do.

I guess a draw in that game, followed by an away win at Molyneux would be best, do others agree?

Good preview hasta but 100% with EiT for remembering Waggy- what a talent that lad was.

Utterly must not lose fixture but if Coco/baldrick/######-face sets us up to defend a draw and try to nick it on the break we will get hammered. McCarthy mullered Kean on the first day of the season at Ewood (imagine Wolves position in the table now without that bright start- they are that bad) so can Kean outsmart the one manager less equipped than him?

Frightening stuff for both sets of supporters.

Having heard Terry Connor after their walloping yesterday, I think I've actually heard someone less equipped than Baldrick to be a Premier League manager.

Plus it's another of those weekends when 4 of the bottom 5 are playing each other. Bolton v. QPR is the lunchtime game on Saturday so, by the time that game's over, we'll know exactly what we need to do.

I guess a draw in that game, followed by an away win at Molyneux would be best, do others agree?

Fine but which games do we actually envisage winning? We have been excusing ourselves for weeks and weeks as must win game after must win game slips by. Frankly on saturday the talk of could be a good point in the end absolutely razzed me off.Villa were dire and yet we couldnt win.Have we really got the personnel to go and put some wins on the board cos if so can somebody let me know who they think they will come against? For god sake we need to score 3 to win a game.

Fearing the worst now lads -sorry

I'd go for

Orr Dann Givet Olsson

Simon N'Zonzi Dunn Pederson

Hoilett Yak

At Wolves last year Hoilett had his best ever game for us, playing through the middle. He is due a performance!

I can see us pulling off a big win on Saturday.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS VERSUS BLACKBURN ROVERS - Saturday 10th March

It's 10 months since both Rovers and Wolves avoided relegation on a dramatic, euphoric day at Molineaux. Somewhere there may be a parallell universe that split from ours at this point. In this alternate reality Steve Kean was outed and an up-and-coming manager was appointed. Venkys gave us the 'biggest transfer budget we have had for a long time'. Phil Jones was retained and there was no need for marquee signings - an Onuoha here, a Sebastian Larsson there, an inspired return for Craig Bellamy. Even the free signings like Djemba Ba had potential. The feel good factor returned to Ewood. The Rao brothers loved their new standing at Ewood, their toy now becoming their obsession.

Unfortunately we happen to live in the other split - the one where the manager lies to and criticises the fans to save his skin, the owners have no interest and put no money into Rovers, and the players are either jumping ship or walking the plank on a monthly basis. Fans clash with fans and secret meetings and covert recordings are becoming the norm. In fact it is a testament to the club as it was under the previous regime that, despite the complete mismanagement off the pitch and the tactical ineptitude on it, we are still with a chance of survival. It's also probably lucky that in other seasons we would be marooned by now. Last year for example after 27 games our current total would have been 6 points from safety.

Anyway, on to the Wolves.

CONNECTING PLAYERS

There's not a huge amount of notable players that have played for Rovers and Wolves over the last 30 years that spring to mind. However one who played a big part in Rovers' history was Mark Atkins. Signed from Scunthorpe in the summer of '88, Atkins was employed primarily as a right back - and in the opinion of most Rovers fans not a very good one. His stuttering career at Rovers reached it's lowest point when he inexplicably scored THAT own goal - turning a harmless cross into his own net in injury time to give Liverpool and undeserved FA Cup replay. When the investment came and Daglish took over many thought Super Atko's days were numbered.

In fact it is huge credit to Dalglish and Harford that Atkins career then blossomed. I can't recall when the decision to push Atkins into midfield was made but it was inspired. The first year back in the Premiership he played 24 times as Rovers made a big impression in the top flight. Following David Batty's arrival the following season, Atkins could only manage 8 starts. However in 94/95, with Batty curtailed by his injury problems, Atkins was an unsung hero of the Premiership winning team making 38 appearances and scoring 6 times.

Looking back it is somewhat a suprise that Atkins was sold to Wolves so soon after winning the league. In September 95 he was off to Wolves for £1m where he made 115 appearances. His career then slowly faded away via York, Doncaster, Hull and Horrogate Town but his contribution over at Ewood during the early Walker years should never be forgotten. Atkins can currently be found managing Matlock Town who play in the same league as the Flitcroft managed Chorley.

Mark Atkins LT interview

OPPOSITION VIEW

In order to get a view from the opposition I sent a series of questions to Clockwolf from the forum over at www.the-wolf.co.uk. Thanks to Clocks for his time in answering these.

In my opinion as an outsider, it was only worth sacking McCarthy if you wre bringing in another proven manager. To sack him and replace him with backroom staff seems Venky-esque. What's your take on the Wolves management changes?

I was apprehensive at first, in all fairness I thought TC should have gone when MM went, but a point away at the Toon has at least given us a bit of hope.

After the euphoria of the last few minutes of last season, did you expect to be in another relegation battle this season?

Once the transfer window had passed, yes. I think most Wolves fans realised then that we were in for a tough season.

Doyle, Fletcher and Ebanks-Blake would be an awesome Championship strike team. Do you feel they are solid Premier League forwards or is that an area you would look to improve?

I think a club should be looking to improve in EVERY position all the time in an ideal world. Fletcher and Doyle IMO are PL players, only Matt Jarvis would I add to that very short list.

Scott Dann and Roger Johnson were a highly regarded centre back pairing at Birmingham. We paid decent money for Dann and so far he has been disappointing. Did you get the good one?

I think they played well as a centre half pairing, maybe splitting them up wasn't the best idea.

Who's your best player that we may not fully be aware of?

We have a full back (Doherty) who looks promising, we'll see.

Best and worst days as a Wolves fan?

Best - Promotion to the Prem as Champions v QPR, Sherpa Van Tropy winners 1988 Wembley.

Worst, relegation in 2004, losing in UEFA Cup final v Spurs at home in 1972.

In your opinion, have the Rovers fans been over the top against Steve Kean and Venkys?

Steve Kean yes, Venky's no.

Do you think the general football fan aware that the protests are about far, far more than performances on the pitch? Has that message been conveyed across by the press?

Yes I think so.

Are there any players left at Rovers that you wish were in the Wolves team?

Pedersen, like I say, my other half is a Rovers fan and ex STH. I've watched Rovers loads of times and I would take Pedersen all day long, class act.

Your prediction for the game next Saturday.

1-1 draw.

Which 3 teams will get relegated?

QPR, Wigan, Wolves.

AND FINALLY

What were Wolves fans opinions of Mark Atkins as a player?

Yep, great player, 100% every time.

THE GAME

March has been seen as a critical month for Rovers and the draw to Villa was not the start that we hoped. We have put in some decent away performances without getting the results so far this season. However, worryingly most of these were pre-transfer window and our last two journeys away from Ewood have seen us completely capitulate at Arsenal and City. I can't predict the result at all. My heart can see us winning and putting a buffer between us and the bottom three. However my head tells me that we have only won 1 game away from home for a reason, and that a point is a more realistic result. I think we all just hope that, regardless of the situation off the pitch, the players give their all and compete on it.

What about Derek Dougan around the cup final 1960.

What part of "in the last 30 years" of my preview do people not understand ;-) .

As for Waggy, i was born in 77 so have no idea bit my dad still raves about him !

Oh, and try not to quote the whole previw. Its a nightmare on a mobile!

What about Derek Dougan around the cup final 1960.

I said in the last 30 years there were few notable players. All these people from the 60s and 70s being named tell me im right!

Archived