BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

One old singer/songwriter who was in the best band in the fucking world back in the day (who regularly plays KGH, including the other week, and has done for 44 years) has just completed a sold out tour of the UK on the back of two number one albums released during lockdown. I'm sure you didn't mean him ASS? 😉

I've just had a look who are playing over the next 12 months, some decent acts.

Happy Mondays + Cast

Midge Ure

Saxon

Toyah

The Proclaimers

Marti Pellow

Marillion

Jools Holland

China Crisis

Belinda Carlisle 

Adam Ant

Liam Gallagher

• Like 3

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

One old singer/songwriter who was in the best band in the fucking world back in the day (who regularly plays KGH, including the other week, and has done for 44 years) has just completed a sold out tour of the UK on the back of two number one albums released during lockdown. I'm sure you didn't mean him ASS? 😉

well at least tell me who your going on about (before i tell you how shite they are😄) ASS!?

8 hours ago, Gav said:

I've just had a look who are playing over the next 12 months, some decent acts.

Happy Mondays + Cast

Midge Ure

Saxon

Toyah

The Proclaimers

Marti Pellow

Marillion

Jools Holland

China Crisis

Belinda Carlisle 

Adam Ant

Liam Gallagher

only 2 gigs there that I personally would pay to see, cant be doing with any of those naff 80s "pop stars" though, not even if they where all on the same bill, doubt they have a gigs worth of good tunes between the lot of them.

4 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I right, yeah cant stand weller, The jam had some great songs obviously and wellers early solo stuff was good, but the last 15 years or so he's just gone dull as dishwater. 

Didn't he also get pulled for having nonce material on his pc. 

Nope - Pete Townsend The Who

21 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Yes but sure there was something involving weller at one point as well, no charges brought or anything that i remember and seemed to get brushed off, but there was definitely something at one point im sure 🤔 

Utter nonsense that thankfully, I have no idea where you have pulled that false memory from. As for his latest work being dull, music is obviously subjective but I can't think of another artist in their 60s who is still releasing credible new material on a regular basis and I include Paul McCartney and Elvis Costello in that.

Weller did go through a period in the late 90s/early noughties where it all got a bit 'samey', and I don't like everything he's ever done (I didn't like everything The Jam did either to be fair) but I'm assuming you haven't heard his latest offerings? If you liked his early solo stuff you should check out the albums On Sunset and Fat Pop Volume 1.

Edited by oldjamfan1

45 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Utter nonsense that thankfully, I have no idea where you have pulled that false memory from. As for his latest work being dull, music is obviously subjective but I can't think of another artist in their 60s who is still releasing credible new material on a regular basis and I include Paul McCartney and Elvis Costello in that.

Weller did go through a period in the late 90s/early noughties where it all got a bit 'samey', and I don't like everything he's ever done (I didn't like everything The Jam did either to be fair) but I'm assuming you haven't heard his latest offerings? If you liked his early solo stuff you should check out the albums On Sunset and Fat Pop Volume 1.

I once saw a tribute band called “ The Jamm “ at the Liverpool August bank holiday music festival. They were honestly better than “ The Jam” because all three of them could really sing as well as play.

I’m not in the slightest bit interested in “ Queen “ but a mate dragged me to see a “ Queen “ tribute band at the same festival a year or two later. They were bloody fantastic. They were from Argentina and called the Spanish for “ God Save The Queen “ -  “ Dios Salve A La Reina “ I think. 
The funny thing was when they were playing their English was perfect but when they were announcing the songs it was very broken.

The two best bands I saw there over the years were “ The Undertakers “ , scouse rockers from the 1960’s with Jackie Lomax and “ The  Maximum Who “ . I took a mate who was a real gigger, he went to gigs most weeks, to see them at “ The Pen And Whig “ a pub in the town centre. I could see him pogoing down the front. When we got outside later he looked like he’d just got out of the shower. He said “ Tyrone, that’s the best thing I’ve seen all year “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I once saw a tribute band called “ The Jamm “ at the Liverpool August bank holiday music festival. They were honestly better than “ The Jam” because all three of them could really sing as well as play.

I’m not in the slightest bit interested in “ Queen “ but a mate dragged me to see a “ Queen “ tribute band at the same festival a year or two later. They were bloody fantastic. They were from Argentina and called the Spanish for “ God Save The Queen “ -  “ Dios Salve A La Reina “ I think. 
The funny thing was when they were playing their English was perfect but when they were announcing the songs it was very broken.

The two best bands I saw there over the years were “ The Undertakers “ , scouse rockers from the 1960’s with Jackie Lomax and “ The  Maximum Who “ . I took a mate who was a real gigger, he went to gigs most weeks, to see them at “ The Pen And Whig “ a pub in the town centre. I could see him pogoing down the front. When we got outside later he looked like he’d just got out of the shower. He said “ Tyrone, that’s the best thing I’ve seen all year “.

The lad who played the 'Paul Weller' part in The Jamm was called John Southern. He sadly passed away of cancer at a young age. They were always regarded as the best of the Jam tribute bands, although there is a young group 'Band Called Malice' who pretty much nail it these days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gav said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-61378243.amp

A real working class hero, this place and many more 

• Hatfield Main Pit Club - Stainforth Doncaster

He’d put £1000 behind the bar in “ The Flying Horse “ in the centre of Rochdale. I missed out !  I’m surprised it wasn’t “ The Baum “  in Rochdale, , he used to drink in there a year or two ago. Along with Lisa Stansfield. He also put £1000 behind the bar of one of my favourite Manchester pubs, “ The Briton’s Protection “.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band have announced they're touring Europe next year, UK dates coming out soon.

If you've never seen them live they're phenomenal, best band I've ever seen by a country mile.

Even if you only have a passing interest, I'd encourage you to go and see them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm listening to what I consider to be the first brilliant album of 2022.

Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band - Dear Scott

This is the guy that used to front The Pale Fountains and Shack in the past. He's led an interesting life, but they don't call him 'The Bard of Liverpool' for nothing. Absolute quality.

I drove through Holmfirth recently and the Mrs commented on the types of people milling around, looked like a throwback to her youth was one comment...

We went home and looked at the gig guide for Holmfirth and The Fall were playing 3 nights, sold out, which explained things!

I was never a fan, but clearly plenty still are.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm listening to what I consider to be the first brilliant album of 2022.

Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band - Dear Scott

This is the guy that used to front The Pale Fountains and Shack in the past. He's led an interesting life, but they don't call him 'The Bard of Liverpool' for nothing. Absolute quality.

Do you take “ The Sunday Observer “ ?  There was a good review of that album in last Sundays edition.

The music scene in Liverpool is still great. I remember going watching “ Faron’s Flamingoes “ in a pub during the Beatles weekend. The lead guitarist had got lost in the crowd and they were waiting for him to turn up. Eventually Faron said “ is there anybody here that can play lead guitar  ? “ 

One young bloke in the audience said” Yeah, I can “.  So he got up on stage and plugged in the guitar. Faron said to him “ Johnny B Goode in the key of whatever “ . And away they went. The real guitarist turned up after about 5 numbers.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Do you take “ The Sunday Observer “ ?  There was a good review of that album in last Sundays edition.

The music scene in Liverpool is still great. I remember going watching “ Faron’s Flamingoes “ in a pub during the Beatles weekend. The lead guitarist had got lost in the crowd and they were waiting for him to turn up. Eventually Faron said “ is there anybody here that can play lead guitar  ? “ 

One young bloke in the audience said” Yeah, I can “.  So he got up on stage and plugged in the guitar. Faron said to him “ Johnny B Goode in the key of whatever “ . And away they went. The real guitarist turned up after about 5 numbers.

I've got tickets to see another Liverpool singer/songwriter, Steve Pilgrim, play a tiny church in the Dingle (the Liverpool one!) in September. While Steve is a brilliant artist in his own right, he's best known for being the drummer in the Paul Weller band and his boss is joining him on stage that night, should be amazing!

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Stones gig at Anfield got 5 stars in todays paper.

My sister’s boyfriend and a few pals went, said it was absolutely spot on.

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Stones gig at Anfield got 5 stars in todays paper.

My 16th gig to see the Stones. Quite amazing considering their ages. The best one I've attending for atmosphere, sound and the overall event.

Abba do Avatars - the Stones do Live Awesome Rock n' Roll.

• Like 1