BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

15 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

They missed their BKK gig a few years back. Cancelled on the morning of the event and they never came back, at least as far as I know.

Reasons for the cancellation were cloudy. I heard their main roadie had taken ill in India, another one was that one of the group feared for his freedom....

I know for sure that Jagger visits here himself but not to perform, at least on stage.

I saw่ live very early in their career so was pissed off to not get to see them again.

*Just checked Google and that BKK cancellation was in 2003, so quite a while ago but seems like yesterday.

They were supposed to be playing at the opening night of a club in town. I was waiting outside about an hour before it opened and I saw their van drive by with three of them sat on the front bench seat. One of those “ Thames “ vans that all the groups used with a long bench seat. I can’t remember who they were now but apparently the other two couldn’t get to club for all the trouble. That was as close as we got to seeing them. A band called the “ St Louis Union “ who later had a biggish hit with a cover of The Beatles “ Girl “ were the support band, they had to play two sets !

Every time the Stones play in Rio the guy who was promoting the gig tries to take The Stones to court for non appearance. He lives out in Brazil now and he reckons he had to pay everybody back after the gig. He’s full of shit, I never got my 10/- back ( 50p to any youngsters reading this ).

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Gav said:

Bought Bob Dylan tickets for London Palladium in October today, saw him in Blackpool on his last UK visit, superb.

Bruce Springsteen tickets on sale next week.

I thought about getting Dylan tickets for Glasgow, then saw the price and then saw the mobile phone rule and decided to swerve it Gav. Had I not already seen him I might have taken the hit, just to tick the box though, to be fair.

2 hours ago, rickard said:

I booked tickets to Passenger in Gothenburg today. Although, to be honest I booked it mostly to see the opening act, Luke Sital-Singh. Class singer/songwriter. If you're into sad music.

The brother Gurupta is a musician as well, karaoke.......

• Like 1

Seeing todays obituary column reminded me of a fantastic John Weller story. After the Style Council ended, in around 1990, his son Paul was struggling to get the sort of record deal he deserved. The execs at the big companies all reckoned he was washed up (how wrong they were!). Anyway John was doing the rounds and kept getting fobbed off or offered derisory deals. One MD said to him "Sorry John, but times have changed from the days of The Jam and The Style Council. I mean you only need to look at the charts with Right Said Fred at number one?"
John gave the bloke a quizzical look and said "What? Are you telling me that Bernard fucking Cribbins is number one?" 
Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I see Jerry Sadowicz got banned at the Edinburgh Festival. He’s a very funny but also a very scary comedian. There is nothing he won’t make a joke out of. He’s also the most brilliant magician I’ve ever seen. He’s at “ mind blowing “ level when it comes to card tricks.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

5 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I saw a bit of Jerry when he had a show in the early days of Channel 5. I can see why the timid are freightened of him as he is probably as abrasive as Frankie Boyle, if not more so. The venue bottled it because of a mob on the Chinese data gathering site Tik Tok, and Twitter.

When I saw him live there was a group of lads from a rugby team sat on the front row. They walked out after about 10 minutes. I’m surprised that a fringe venue shut him down, that’s not what the fringe is all about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I saw him live there was a group of lads from a rugby team sat on the front row. They walked out after about 10 minutes. I’m surprised that a fringe venue shut him down, that’s not what the fringe is all about.

Spot on. He's not my cup of tea (neither is Frankie Boyle although in 'real life' Frankie is actually a lovely fella) but the whole point of the Fringe is being missed and what were people turning up expecting anyway?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I read somewhere that he got his knob out on stage and was racist.

Just now, Gav said:

Mm. I don’t know as I wasn’t there. He’d be better off sticking to the card tricks. He had big screen and a camera pointing down directly on his hands and the table and the tricks he did were beyond belief even in those circumstance.

4 hours ago, Gav said:

I'm pretty sure only one of these allegations is true Gav. One of my colleagues was at the show and reckoned the 'penis reveal' thing was - forgive the pun - a sleight of hand or an illusion of some kind. 

Just what were people expecting from Jerry Sadowitz?

Edited by oldjamfan1

7 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm pretty sure only one of these allegations is true Gav. One of my colleagues was at the show and reckoned the 'penis reveal' thing was - forgive the pun - a sleight of hand or an illusion of some kind. 

Just what were people expecting from Jerry Sadowitz?

Me and Mrs Shoelaces went to see “ The Puppetry Of The Penis “ one year when we were up there for the Festival. You can imagine what that was like. I’ve seen loads of shows will full frontal nudity on display, both male and female up there. I don’t know what the fuss is all about. I believe he’s on in Manchester in October, I’ll try and get that. With all this publicity it’ll sell out twice over now !

We were regulars at the Fringe for about 20 years until we got the place in Spain. It’s the best holiday you can have. You just need another holiday to get over it after. It’s also got very expensive. We can’t afford to do both Edinburgh and Spain now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The recording of Tuesday night's Prom on BBC4 tonight has reminded me to write a post about my two big music events this year.

Back at Glastonbury for the first time in 3 years was a joy as always, although I saw precious little music. First Aid Kit were wonderful, Lorde very good but Self Esteem, especially her "secret" gig truly tremendous.

I made what in hindsight was a blinding decision to swerve Paul McCartney apart from the first few minutes and the last bit when Dave Grohl and then Bruce Springsteen appeared - I had been given a strong rumour about them both a few days earlier. I therefore missed all the self indulgent rubbish in between.

Last Friday we were at All Points East in east London, mainly to see my current favourite band, The National - as wonderful as ever. Also got to see the very fine Fleet Foxes and a decent set by Villagers. An excellent bonus was Public Service Broadcasting, who were a very late replacement. And that's where the Prom comes in, PSB's prom from last Tuesday is showing on BBC4 tonight and should be a highlight.

• Like 2