BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

51 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I agree with that to an extent, but what a back catalogue Elton has, its easy to forget just how many monsters he has written, (or to be more accurate, co-written).

The joyous faces in the crowd told me everything I needed to know. Brilliant stuff.

Edit: Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens was absolutely superb. His voice actually gets better with age.

I’ve got to admit, I never was an Elton John fan. Same with Stevie Wonder. Top class musicans I’ve no doubt, but I just don’t connect with them. Possibly the best single live performance I’ve ever seen was “ Queen “ at Live Aid but I have no CD’s of them at all in my very large collection. I just can’t identify with them. Ditto Elton and Stevie.

I read today’s review of the Cat Stevens set and I’m sorry I missed it.

32 minutes ago, Gav said:

I watched Cat Stevens after Elton, superb stuff.

Where are all the current headliners? I love seeing the legends, but Arctic Monkeys aside is pretty barren right now.

I'm told Madonna has already been booked as a headline for 2024...

The problem these days Gav is that all the better young bands and artists can't seem to sell any music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve got to admit, I never was an Elton John fan. Same with Stevie Wonder. Top class musicans I’ve no doubt, but I just don’t connect with them. Possibly the best single live performance I’ve ever seen was “ Queen “ at Live Aid but I have no CD’s of them at all in my very large collection. I just can’t identify with them. Ditto Elton and Stevie.

I read today’s review of the Cat Stevens set and I’m sorry I missed it.

Cat Stevens is available on BBC iPlayer Tyrone, PC, iPad or behind the red button on Smart Tv.

Rammstein were immense last night. Unlike the UK concerts last year they played at night, so the lights really shone and the set list was better than last year. 

The only bad thing was by being in the standing area, I seemed to end up with a tall guy in front of me and a short person behind. I didn't want to stand right in front of them.

https://youtu.be/JBtQZODD6Yk

Tyrone - pretty much every major performance from Glastonbury should be in the iPlayer for a while.

I'm pretty much with you on Elton John. He seems like a genuinely good bloke but I have never been enthusiastic about his music - I rate a couple of songs but not much else. I made the mistake on Sunday of deciding to see his set thinking it was at least going to produce some interesting guests. I was wrong, with the exception of Jacob Lusk. Overall it was dire and I should have done what my son did and walked after 20 minutes and found something more interesting (although I don't think his solution of Queens of The Stone Age was the right answer!). There were plenty others that did leave. The fireworks were nice though.

Apart from that a great week at Glastonbury as always.

Saw Texas. The Gabriels, Steve Earle, Young Fathers and Kelis on Friday. The Unthanks, Rick Astley’s last song, Amadeu & Mariam,  Lizzo and Christine & The Queens on Saturday. Black Country, New Road, The Speakers Corner Quartet and The Hu, The War on Drugs and Elton John Sunday.

A lot of those were half watching and listening while working on the WaterAid water bar at West Holts. Many were also part watched.

My Glastonbury moment was hearing a fabulous version of Mount the Air by The Unthanks and the best band overall The War on Drugs. Weirdest but excellent Christine & The Queens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

I'm pretty much with you on Elton John. He seems like a genuinely good bloke but I have never been enthusiastic about his music - I rate a couple of songs but not much else. I made the mistake on Sunday of deciding to see his set thinking it was at least going to produce some interesting guests. I was wrong, with the exception of Jacob Lusk. Overall it was dire and I should have done what my son did and walked after 20 minutes and found something more interesting (although I don't think his solution of Queens of The Stone Age was the right answer!). There were plenty others that did leave. The fireworks were nice though.

I'm really surprised to read that, I'm not a massive of Elton John fan myself, but as a music fan I can appreciate his body of work, his set was superb on Tv, he's 76yrs old and hardly missed a note.

I read today it was the largest ever crowd for an artist at Glastonbury, around 120k people and 7m on Tv, a send off he deserves in my book, a real legend, where are the next legends coming from......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I'm really surprised to read that, I'm not a massive of Elton John fan myself, but as a music fan I can appreciate his body of work, his set was superb on Tv, he's 76yrs old and hardly missed a note.

I read today it was the largest ever crowd for an artist at Glastonbury, around 120k people and 7m on Tv, a send off he deserves in my book, a real legend, where are the next legends coming from......

Well that's my opinion Gav and it's the only one I've got on him. As you say there thousands of others who disagreed with me, including my wife. But. equally there were plenty of people who left well before the end. Of course that happens all the time at Glastonbury, as there is so much else you can do if you decide you're not enjoying something. It's not an option you get at regular gigs.

The music scene is now so much more diverse than it was 30,40,50 years ago. When I go to see an act at Glastonbury quite often I will never have heard of them but there will always be a significant number of people for whom they are a special act, they will know the words to the songs etc. It will be harder in future to find "legends" that will have mass appeal but that's not something that worries me. There will always be acts I want to see even if they don't attract crowds of 100,000+.

I always want to hear new music - a lot of it I won't like, some of it I will positively hate but regularly I find stuff I really love. An example is The Lathums. For some reason I thought they were a metal band so didn't make any effort to see them over the weekend. But looking on iPlayer when we got back last night I find they're not and pretty enjoyable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, only2garners said:

The music scene is now so much more diverse than it was 30,40,50 years ago. When I go to see an act at Glastonbury quite often I will never have heard of them but there will always be a significant number of people for whom they are a special act, they will know the words to the songs etc. It will be harder in future to find "legends" that will have mass appeal but that's not something that worries me. There will always be acts I want to see even if they don't attract crowds of 100,000+.

I always want to hear new music - a lot of it I won't like, some of it I will positively hate but regularly I find stuff I really love. An example is The Lathums. For some reason I thought they were a metal band so didn't make any effort to see them over the weekend. But looking on iPlayer when we got back last night I find they're not and pretty enjoyable.

Yes and that is one of the most enjoyable aspects of any festival, discovering new music o2g, I really enjoyed The Tesky Brothers, they've been around a while but I'd never heard them. Reading online Rick Astley doing a entire set of Smiths songs, with The Blossoms? in a tent, was many peoples highlight! 

Takes all sorts I guess. 

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Yes and that is one of the most enjoyable aspects of any festival, discovering new music o2g, I really enjoyed The Tesky Brothers, they've been around a while but I'd never heard them. Reading online Rick Astley doing a entire set of Smiths songs, with The Blossoms? in a tent, was many peoples highlight! 

Takes all sorts I guess. 

Did anybody catch The Hu? Mongolian folk metal band. Amazing!

Edited by oldjamfan1

13 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Did anybody catch The Hu? Mongolian folk metal band. Amazing!

I more or less did. I was working on the water bar at West Holts on Sunday when they were on, so I could see and definitely hear them, although I couldn't properly watch them. They were quite a spectacle, though I'm not one for heavy metal. It's not everyday you come across a Mongolian throat singing metal band. You wouldn't want to bump into any of them on a dark night.

• Like 1

Had a great couple of nights at Lytham Festival. Jamiroquai were as good as ever, Jay Kay’s put on a bit of timber like (but then he is in his 50s now), but a superb voice still.

And Sting last night, always seems to be a slight figure of fun in this country, but he and his band were excellent (he looks in top nick for nearly 72 too!)  - biggest crowd the festival has ever had last night too, so he must do something right!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Had a great couple of nights at Lytham Festival. Jamiroquai were as good as ever, Jay Kay’s put on a bit of timber like (but then he is in his 50s now), but a superb voice still.

And Sting last night, always seems to be a slight figure of fun in this country, but he and his band were excellent (he looks in top nick for nearly 72 too!)  - biggest crowd the festival has ever had last night too, so he must do something right!

Did you manage to catch Stone Foundation Matty? I think they opened the festival. Great soul band and good pals of mine

• Moderation Lead

Just picked my folks up from Lytham, they stopped over after attending last night.

They absolutely loved it and raved about Sting. I’d have been keener to watch Blondie myself, but they loved the both of them regardless. Sounded class.

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Jamiroquai were as good as ever, Jay Kay’s put on a bit of timber like (but then he is in his 50s now), but a superb voice still.

I'd draw the curtains if he played in our back garden, a first class areshole who has said some unsavoury things about Blackburn in his time, the town where his mum was born.

But I do appreciate people love his music.

Just got tickets for Tramlines in Sheffield - Richard Ashcroft, The Courteeners and Paul Heaton headlining over the weekend plus Reverend and Makers who are friends of the family, no VIP passes yet though! 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Depeche Mode a couple of weeks ago here in Munich at the Olympiastadion - absolutely brilliant. Second time seeing them - they actually just announced a new (arena rather than stadium) Euro leg of their tour so the third time is on the cards!

Also bit the bullet and got tickets to see U2 at that new Sphere thing in Vegas in Oct - if you've not seen anything about that building look it up - it's unreal! 

• Like 1

A couple of pals of mine played in the Weller band that supported Blur at Wembley Stadium at the weekend. One of them is a Bristol Rovers fan and we regularly have a bit of footie banter. His latest is “I’ve played at the ‘new’ Wembley before Blackburn Rovers have”. 😨

Weller has big bollocks for not playing a ‘greatest hits’ set in that situation, which is one of the many things that sets him apart from his peers in this observer’s  opinion. ✊🏻💥 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

A couple of pals of mine played in the Weller band that supported Blur at Wembley Stadium at the weekend. One of them is a Bristol Rovers fan and we regularly have a bit of footie banter. His latest is “I’ve played at the ‘new’ Wembley before Blackburn Rovers have”. 😨

Weller has big bollocks for not playing a ‘greatest hits’ set in that situation, which is one of the many things that sets him apart from his peers in this observer’s  opinion. ✊🏻💥 

That's why he's proper top class.

Not a cabaret performer like a lot of them.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 19:14, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not a gig as such but the late great Curtis Mayfield was on BBC 4 last night with a live show from 1984.

That must have been around the same time he was interviewed for TV and radio by Paul Weller - PW said it was the only time he has ever been in awe of another artist (and he has played with just about everyone).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That must have been around the same time he was interviewed for TV and radio by Paul Weller - PW said it was the only time he has ever been in awe of another artist (and he has played with just about everyone).

Yeah, Mayfield really was a legend as a musician. Tragically he was crippled when a lighting rig fell on him at a charity gig he was playing at. He died later as a result of his injuries.