BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

In 1971 as a 19 year old I bought "A Nod's as Good as a Wink .... To a Blind Horse" by the Faces, the early release with the poster insert.

I had it for 2 decades but lost it in the chaos of divorce, house changes, working abroad. I've always suspected a family member took it but hey ho.

The insert, which was banned from issue after a few weeks of the album's initial release, is now a collector's item.

I hope I ruined it through excessive usage in my younger days ....... more than probable.

The last vinyl I bought was 'Rain Dogs' by Tom Waits only last week, something about vinyl that brings another element to the listening experience, even though music platforms and CD's are better quality, maybe its just the nostalgia we all crave for. 

The majority of music made before about 1992 was made to go on vinyl.

Writing, recording, mixing and mastering. The whole process was done with vinyl in mind. So when people say that music sounds better on vinyl then they aren't wrong, but it depends on which release from which era you're talking about.

For newer releases that isn't quite the same, but a lot of dance tunes up until the early 2000s were also made for the format.

On 24/10/2023 at 11:58, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You’ve never lived. I could have told you just how and where and under what circumstances I bought most of my vinyl. They were like a snapshot of my life.

It's probably just me, but I've never understood the fap fest for vinyl. It could be down to my dislike of sentimental reverence in general and my lack of fine coordination with fiddly things. There may be some sort of different quality to the sound but my hearing to pretty crap so it would be lost on me. 

On 27/10/2023 at 23:23, Gav said:

Bought Richard Ashcroft tickets today for his gig at the wonderful Halifax Peace Hall next summer. 
Arguably the best British song writer over the past 30yrs.

I like him Gav and really he should have been a superstar but better than Weller? I think not?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I like him Gav and really he should have been a superstar but better than Weller? I think not?

I agree, but he did say the last 30 years. Weller has put out some gold in that time but his purple patch was the 70s and 80s.

The real question though, is he better than Noel?

Edited by Upside Down

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I agree, but he did say the last 30 years. Weller has put out some gold in that time but his purple patch was the 70s and 80s.

The real question though, is he better than Noel?

Weller has had two or three purple patches. Those middle three Jam albums, his first three solo albums and his last three. Even if you disregard Jam and Style Council material PW pisses all over Richard Ashcroft by any barometer. 
To answer that last question I would say yes (assuming you are referring to RA and not PW, because even Noel would concede that he isn’t in Weller’s league as a songwriter)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Do it. No idea if they're good live but go on. They are not young anymore and nothing ever lasts forever.

I remember reading that Arthur Lee was touring again a few years back. I hummed and hawed about going to see him in Manchester before deciding not to go. I thought they’ll just be tired and old.

That gig got a five star review in the paper the next day. He had a new young band backing him and he was great apparently. Got him a gig at Glastonbury a year or two later.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Think I’ll give this debate a miss……😂

Echo and The Bunnymen tickets out tomorrow, should I or shouldn’t I…….?

The best band in the world according to themselves.

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Weller has had two or three purple patches. Those middle three Jam albums, his first three solo albums and his last three. Even if you disregard Jam and Style Council material PW pisses all over Richard Ashcroft by any barometer. 
To answer that last question I would say yes (assuming you are referring to RA and not PW, because even Noel would concede that he isn’t in Weller’s league as a songwriter)

I agree you can't compare Weller to either of them. Weller is in the same league as Lennon/McCartney and Ray Davies.

I think Noel and RA is a lot closer than you'd think. The first three Oasis records are absolutely brilliant. How many other groups can you put on their albums and know every single song?

All of the above are great and I'd gladly go and see them live.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2023 at 23:36, Upside Down said:

The best band in the world according to themselves.

I agree you can't compare Weller to either of them. Weller is in the same league as Lennon/McCartney and Ray Davies.

I think Noel and RA is a lot closer than you'd think. The first three Oasis records are absolutely brilliant. How many other groups can you put on their albums and know every single song?

All of the above are great and I'd gladly go and see them live.

“ Weller is in the same league as Lennon and McCartney “ - in your dreams.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Weller has written tunes that are the soundtrack to life in Britain. He's up there.

Masterplan is a belter. All the belting tunes they did were from that period of the mid 90s.

As for Noel not liking Be Here Now, Lennon didn't like his own voice, hence all the double tracking, flanging, and putting a microphone in a bucket of water at one point. You have a totally different perspective on a record when you've made it yourself.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

“ Weller is in the same league as Lennon and McCartney “ - in your dreams.

He is in terms of being a singer/songwriter, which is what the original poster said. It’s unarguable really. The consistently brilliant output over five decades actually surpasses Macca, whose work since he turned 40 has been patchy to say the least. The Beatles were undeniably a game changing band though, I don’t think anyone would dispute that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeeCee said:

He's way better.

Ha ha ha. It’s not just the ground breaking music they made, they were a cultural phenomenon. Nothing was the same after the Beatles. You had to be there to appreciate just how big they were. 1 to 5 in the US top ten at a time when British bands never got a mention. Did Paul Weller ever do that ?  George Harrison was probably a better song writer than Weller, never mind John and Paul.

Regarding Maccas output when he was past it - it’s like saying Pele wasn’t much good at New York Cosmos.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2