BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

• Moderation Lead

I’ve never really buzzed off his live shows, as they all seem to be formulaic as you say. I can’t fault his TV productions though- Phoenix Nights for one is absolutely class.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Gav said:

https://www.thepiecehall.co.uk/event/the-charlatans-and-johnny-marr/

Just been announced, Johnny Marr & Charlatans at Halifax Peace Hall in August, direct train from Blackburn too.

Some decent events coming up - https://www.thepiecehall.co.uk/culture/

It’s a cracking venue that Gav

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2023 at 03:37, Upside Down said:

This is an absolute belter. 

20230408_143128.thumb.jpg.f5d55b891c02b8fd9542fd6db902f629.jpg

And my dad first played this one to me when I was 9. I once met a guy who said he didn't like this record, what dick head he was.

20230408_143102.thumb.jpg.0d7e39877ace95ea048257b62b9ca7f8.jpg

Very few artists or bands can lay claim to changing the face of music but the Pistols certainly belong in that bracket. I was never a huge fan of them but can appreciate the influence they had - The Jam were a plodding pub rock band until the 17 year old Weller went to see the Pistols in Dunstable. Same goes for the (Guildford) Stranglers.  

Joe Strummer supported the Pistols with his then band The 101ers and knew immediately that they had to up their game so he left them and formed The Clash. 

• Like 2

I had a Coachella stream suggested on YouTube this weekend,so I had a look to see what was apparently cool and what 'modern' music is like outside of the ubiquitous stuff like Ed Sheeran. Yeah........ I've reached that age. A guy called Metro Man or something mumbling in a sticato rhythm and then shouting "gang, N-word" several times wasn't my sort of thing. Nor were a group of Korean clone women singing the most polished, packaged and precise bubblegum pop I've heard in years.

The Chemical Brothers were there, so I watched that instead.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Went to Bridlington to see Pulp. It was absolutely fantastic, Jarvis and co. were as good as they've ever been, and the Spa was a brilliant venue.

I saw them in Sheffield at the end of the last tour, it was full of middle aged types who talked all the way through the gig, swigging champagne in the private boxes, until Common People came on!

They clearly didn’t get it……

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone listened to the new Noel Gallagher album, Council Skies, yet? I’m going to give it a spin today. I like the first couple of Oasis albums but have always been a bit underwhelmed by both of the Gallagher brothers ever since. I’ve heard that this new one is a bit better though. And the front cover features a photo of what used to be the centre circle at Maine Road. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Has anyone listened to the new Noel Gallagher album, Council Skies, yet? I’m going to give it a spin today. I like the first couple of Oasis albums but have always been a bit underwhelmed by both of the Gallagher brothers ever since. I’ve heard that this new one is a bit better though. And the front cover features a photo of what used to be the centre circle at Maine Road. 

Probably his best work in the past 20 years to be honest OjF, hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2023 at 12:46, Gav said:

I saw them in Sheffield at the end of the last tour, it was full of middle aged types who talked all the way through the gig, swigging champagne in the private boxes, until Common People came on!

They clearly didn’t get it……

That sounds like a crap crowd. Everyone was really into it at my gig.

Next gig is hopefully Rammstein later this month........a bit awkward given recent headlines.

Going to see Bruce Springsteen at Villa Park on Friday, saw him last time he was here for the Wrecking Ball tour and he was outstanding. Reports from the gigs up to now is he's still as good as ever, looking forward to it.

Also got Johnny Marr and Morrissey gigs coming up over the next few weeks, sadly not together. Mrs is refusing to go and see Morrissey as:

"He's a right wing arsehole, he's always been the same" but I'm sure she'll come round, if she doesn't I'll still be going 🍺

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 13:51, Gav said:

Going to see Bruce Springsteen at Villa Park on Friday, saw him last time he was here for the Wrecking Ball tour and he was outstanding. Reports from the gigs up to now is he's still as good as ever, looking forward to it.

Also got Johnny Marr and Morrissey gigs coming up over the next few weeks, sadly not together. Mrs is refusing to go and see Morrissey as:

"He's a right wing arsehole, he's always been the same" but I'm sure she'll come round, if she doesn't I'll still be going 🍺

Is she going to Springsteen with you? Some of his politics and views are questionable as well.

7 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Is she going to Springsteen with you? Some of his politics and views are questionable as well.

Yes.
I think the recent UKIP support by Morrissey swung it.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Just watched The Pretenders set from Glastonbury, which included cameos from Dave Grohl and Johnny Marr.

Chrissie Hynde was excellent, the voice is as good as ever, superb stuff.

I’ve been told Rick Astley is ‘Must See’ with cover of AcDC Highway from hell and plenty of Smiths thrown in!

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m watching it Gav but it’s all a bit “ Karaoke “ for me. OK I suppose for a guy who’s roughly my age.

I agree with that to an extent, but what a back catalogue Elton has, its easy to forget just how many monsters he has written, (or to be more accurate, co-written).

The joyous faces in the crowd told me everything I needed to know. Brilliant stuff.

Edit: Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens was absolutely superb. His voice actually gets better with age.

Edited by oldjamfan1

33 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I agree with that to an extent, but what a back catalogue Elton has, its easy to forget just how many monsters he has written, (or to be more accurate, co-written).

The joyous faces in the crowd told me everything I needed to know. Brilliant stuff.

Edit: Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens was absolutely superb. His voice actually gets better with age.

I watched Cat Stevens after Elton, superb stuff.

Where are all the current headliners? I love seeing the legends, but Arctic Monkeys aside is pretty barren right now.

• Like 1