BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

43 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I'd never go to Glastonbury for the simple fact it's so popular tickets are sold when no-one is named as appearing on stage. I would not want to pay however much it is, and then have a bill made up of the likes of Starship, Ed Sheeran, some drill rap guy with a weird name and The Venga Boys. 

You're missing the whole point of Glastonbury Norbert, if you only consider who is playing. The festival is so much more than music on the main stages. The BBC film music on 4 stages - there are close to 100 others. Then there is all the circus, theatre, comedy, poetry etc etc as well.

I've been going since 2005 but as a volunteer for WaterAid, a charity I've been involved with for 40 years. I have no problem getting tickets and frankly anyone who wants to go and is willing to do a bit of work can get in. There are somewhere around 60-70,000 people working in some form.

We get an excellent camp site with good toilets, a subsidised canteen, a bar with both the best and the cheapest ale on site, proper showers and a free ticket in return for 4 x 6 hour shifts, all of which are a joy and not really work. It does mean that we miss quite a bit of music and this year's shifts meant that I missed everything on the Friday and Sunday evenings, but frankly it makes no difference. I enjoy the time in the bars with a whole host of friends I only ever see in those fields more than most bands anyway.

• Like 2

I'm not Gav - I have some trouble planning so far ahead for stuff like this. Also I've seen him twice (at whatever the MEN Arena now is and Glastonbury, plus his cameo with McCartney this year). I might look nearer the time at seeing if I can pick up some tickets for Hyde Park next July - I have free London accommodation available! I have an Amex card which sometimes helps - it got us VIP tickets for the standard price at All Points East last week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, only2garners said:

You're missing the whole point of Glastonbury Norbert, if you only consider who is playing. The festival is so much more than music on the main stages. The BBC film music on 4 stages - there are close to 100 others. Then there is all the circus, theatre, comedy, poetry etc etc as well.

I've been going since 2005 but as a volunteer for WaterAid, a charity I've been involved with for 40 years. I have no problem getting tickets and frankly anyone who wants to go and is willing to do a bit of work can get in. There are somewhere around 60-70,000 people working in some form.

We get an excellent camp site with good toilets, a subsidised canteen, a bar with both the best and the cheapest ale on site, proper showers and a free ticket in return for 4 x 6 hour shifts, all of which are a joy and not really work. It does mean that we miss quite a bit of music and this year's shifts meant that I missed everything on the Friday and Sunday evenings, but frankly it makes no difference. I enjoy the time in the bars with a whole host of friends I only ever see in those fields more than most bands anyway.

You're right with all the other features, but I have always gone to festivals for music and never went to The Fringe at Edinburgh for example. And you sound way more sociable and gregarious than me. And I also hate seeing all those effing flags when the headline act is on as I feel sorry for those at the back of the crowd. 

17 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

You're right with all the other features, but I have always gone to festivals for music and never went to The Fringe at Edinburgh for example. And you sound way more sociable and gregarious than me. And I also hate seeing all those effing flags when the headline act is on as I feel sorry for those at the back of the crowd. 

The flags do irritate me but in truth I’m vary rarely at a stage where there are any. I saw most of Lorde’s set, Herbie Hancock and a bit of McCartney on the Pyramid, but nothing else.
If you want to see music you can spend a full 5 days (there’s some on the Wednesday and Thursday as well), just watching acts and no need to speak to anyone if you don’t want to. I’m hardly a party animal myself.

11 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

The Fringe is fantastic. My idea of the best holiday ever but my wife prefers rural Spain. I haven’t been for a few years now and I believe accommodation has got very expensive. We used to stay at the Uni halls of residence. Cheap and cheerful. As you’re out all the time you only need somewhere to sleep.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

I have tickets to see The Who later this year, never seen them live, but a more iconic British band you'll struggle to find.

I saw them a few years back and they were excellent. There were Video tributes to Moon and Entwistle incorporated into the set which was a really nice touch. Set list was absolutely belting.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gav said:

I have tickets to see The Who later this year, never seen them live, but a more iconic British band you'll struggle to find.

You’ll really enjoy it Gav. Daltrey’s voice has stood up very well given his age, even if his politics stink the place out.

• Like 1

We used to watch a band called “ The Maximum Who “. They were brilliant. Always started out with “ I Can’t Explain “ and then went through the catalogue. They worked their way up to being one of the headline acts at the Liverpool festival, then they got binned off for refusing to stop playing until the plug was pulled !

22 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We used to watch a band called “ The Maximum Who “. They were brilliant. Always started out with “ I Can’t Explain “ and then went through the catalogue. They worked their way up to being one of the headline acts at the Liverpool festival, then they got binned off for refusing to stop playing until the plug was pulled !

How authentic were they? Really....

Quote_TheWho.jpg

• 4 weeks later...