BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it ironic that given Moyes previous achievements and record, how he was hounded by Utd fans and shown thew door in such quick fashion and yet the media don't howl with the dismay that they showed when we dispensed with our very own clueless, inept Glaswegian.

Highlights just how manipulated and controlled the sports media really is and the level playing field is just wriggly tin.

Isn't it ironic that given Moyes previous achievements and record, how he was hounded by Utd fans and shown thew door in such quick fashion and yet the media don't howl with the dismay that they showed when we dispensed with our very own clueless, inept Glaswegian.

Highlights just how manipulated and controlled the sports media really is and the level playing field is just wriggly tin.

And EVERY media twitter account ignores or blocks you for asking the same

Because Man. Utd are the biggest club in the world™. They shouldn't have to settle for anything less than the best. Little old Blackburn Rovers, on the other hand, **** them. Apparently we owed Kean a living, and to call for his head was tantamount to treason.

I think he is a decent manager, his time at Everton showed that.

I wouldn't say top class though, he's failed miserably at the highest level.

He will get another Premier League job in no time, Newcastle maybe? And I suspect he will do a decent job wherever he ends up.

But Martinez has come in signed a couple of loanees, sold one of their best players and almost made the champions league. Surely that shows the job Moyes did at everton wasn't as special as some made out?

Moyes to Newcastle seems a great fit for all around.

He (or whoever took over from Fergie) was on a hiding to nothing.

At least it shuts up the United fans who like to claim ''we stick by our managers''. Its easy to stick with a manager when he's one of the most successful of all time.

As for his replacement, this time last year, Guardiola and Mourinho were available. Klopp seems like the fashionable choice, although surely Simeone, Blanc and Hiddink will be linked. Also van Gaal, who I've never really rated, but gets the top jobs!

But Martinez has come in signed a couple of loanees, sold one of their best players and almost made the champions league.  Surely that shows the job Moyes did at everton wasn't as special as some made out?

Good point.

Perhaps he wasn't as good as people made out but he still did well. He made them into a solid/decent premier league team, capable of upsetting the bigger teams now and again.

Turns out Martinez is miles better but you're right, what Martinez has done in such a short space of time certainly dampens Moyes Everton reign.

United really have made a mess of it last season they were league champions and could have gone for any manager in the world such as Mourinho, Guardiola and Klopp also hadn't signed his new long term deal then either. Now they are not going to be in Europe one of those world class managers, if it was my decision who to appoint for United manager I'd go for Conte or Frank de Boer as they are very good young managers, who know exactly how they want to set there teams up and how they want them to play. Another name who I think would be a very good appointment for them is Rafa Benitez he would get them back top 4 no problems.

The managers, circle the wagons, stick up for each other. I wonder if and when we are going to get the cavalcade of comments from Premier League managers that Moyes was sacked prematurely. Perhaps even some players or other personalities will say so. I see Ancelloti has already commented, he wasn't treated that well at Chelsea imo.

True comment, this was a poisoned chalice.

Moyes never stood a chance, it's a shame it ended so quickly as he would have floundered on for as long as they let him. Replacing a legend is nearly impossible. Liverpool managed quite well with Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, and Dalglish, but they all came through the same system.

I would say that he did himself in the day he potted Phelan and Meulensteen. They understood the players and the system. Moyes could have come in, told them to carry on, and sat at the top growling at anything he didn't like.

Klopp looks to be on the outs per Dortmund. Popular opinion has van Gaal coming in to steady the ship for a year or 2. Poor Spurs, they thought they had him lined up too.

It's 'The Damned United' again isn't it? A carbon copy! A well respected manager follows a massively successful club legend into the job and is ultimately sacked as a result of player power from a set of underperforming has beens and assorted never will be's left by said 'Legend'.

Irony is that a lot of Man Utd fans wanted Mourhino yet despite having much more charisma than Moyes effectively his team setups and tactics are very similar to Moyes's and far removed from the attack minded wide play of Fergy's.

I guess the biggest kicker in the eyes of the Glasers was seeing him spew so much money on two fairly average Premier League players in positions that weren't absolute priority to strengthen. With a lot more money needing to be spent they simply couldn't trust him and quite right too. It's not an uncommon factor though is it? They'll never admit it of course but lots of managers perform better with little or no money. We've had at least four that I can think of.

Agree with the first half of the post, the players have gotten away with not being in the slightest bit bothered and being utterly unprofessional. But Mata is not average, far from it. Chelsea player of the season 2 years running, bags of quality. Problem is he's been shunted out wide most of the time at manure, so has understandably not shone.

Good point.

Perhaps he wasn't as good as people made out but he still did well. He made them into a solid/decent premier league team, capable of upsetting the bigger teams now and again.

Turns out Martinez is miles better but you're right, what Martinez has done in such a short space of time certainly dampens Moyes Everton reign.

I have quite enjoyed watching the myth of Moyes disappear as he has taken a team that won the league by 11 points last year to their lowest ever league pointage (It should be a real word). Martinez on the other hand has already exceeded last season at Everton and should finish 5th. Too many in football get caught up in their own hype and forget what got them their in the first place.

8OL6wRv.png

Some of those quotes prove he was massively out of his depth, that's why he never stood a chance. Hopefully Giggs gets the job full-time, that would be a laugh.

Jurgen Klopp

Martinez got beat by Chelsy 8-0 and Tottenham 9-1 and was close to being sacked himself, I wouldn't talk him up, he didn't take Wigan up either and was there when Wigan's luck ran out, Paul Jewell got the promotion.

Edit On: Well, Martinez deserves some talking up, they won the FA Cup with him. I just mean there are some people who it seems get carried away with talking up Martinez and all I am saying is he, Martinez, has had some tough times as well.

In recent years, I think Fergie's team played against Bayern Munich and seemed to do similar to how Moyes' team did.

Martinez got beat by Chelsy 8-0 and Tottenham 9-1 and was close to being sacked himself, I wouldn't talk him up, he didn't take Wigan up either and was there when Wigan's luck ran out, Paul Jewell got the promotion.

Edit On: Well, Martinez deserves some talking up, they won the FA Cup with him. I just mean there are some people who it seems get carried away with talking up Martinez and all I am saying is he, Martinez, has had some tough times as well.

In recent years, I think Fergie's team played against Bayern Munich and seemed to do similar to how Moyes' team did.

In fairness Martinez did keep them up 2 seasons in a row on one of the smaller budgets in the Prem, and having to sell his best players every year. It's hard to kick on and become a secure premiership club when you lose your best players each season and (to a certain extent) have to start again. I guess there was only so many times he could keep pulling rabbits out of the hat.

• Backroom

In fairness Martinez did keep them up 2 seasons in a row on one of the smaller budgets in the Prem, and having to sell his best players every year. It's hard to kick on and become a secure premiership club when you lose your best players each season and (to a certain extent) have to start again. I guess there was only so many times he could keep pulling rabbits out of the hat.

To be fair we managed it very well before the loons came in and @#/? everything up.

• Backroom

We managed it excellently, although I'd say we had a much better starting base, reputation and financial power than Wigan.

By the late 2000's we were about on par with Wigan for the most part imo. Our reputation would have been slightly better in terms of being known globally but I'm not sure it would have been to the extent that a player would sign for us ahead of Wigan. We were both signing outcasts and diamonds-in-the-rough hoping they'd come good. Towards the end we weren't even getting the £3m a year for transfers promised by the Trust. Whelan was probably pumping more financially into Wigan than the Trust were into us. Post 2007 could we have signed Rodallega for £4.5M? Valencia for £5M? James McCarthy for £4.4M? Boselli for £6.5M? Not saying I would have wanted us to spend that type of money on all of those players but it's not like Wigan were on a total shoestring budget. Whilst they were signing Boselli for £6.5M we were scraping the bottom of the barrel for the likes of Benjani thanks to the Trust's refusal to invest in any meaningful way.

Moyes never stood a chance, it's a shame it ended so quickly as he would have floundered on for as long as they let him. Replacing a legend is nearly impossible. Liverpool managed quite well with Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, and Dalglish, but they all came through the same system.

I would say that he did himself in the day he potted Phelan and Meulensteen. They understood the players and the system. Moyes could have come in, told them to carry on, and sat at the top growling at anything he didn't like.

Klopp looks to be on the outs per Dortmund. Popular opinion has van Gaal coming in to steady the ship for a year or 2. Poor Spurs, they thought they had him lined up too.

I agree, he made a rod for his own back, apparently Fergie spent very little time on the training ground anyway in the last few years.

They had just won the title by 11 points, why sack the coaches ?

I agree, he made a rod for his own back, apparently Fergie spent very little time on the training ground anyway in the last few years.

They had just won the title by 11 points, why sack the coaches ?

Brian Clough really did want to tear down Leeds United and build it from scratch, interesting. He despised Don Revie's LUFC.

So Moyes let the old staff go. That is an interesting parallel to those who bring up "The Damned United" though I doubt if Moyes had as an objective to tear down what he saw as, for lack of better words, an evil empire. Though, I guess DM thought, "if I keep the old staff, everyone might say it was because of the coaching staff". Some people do want to do it their way.

Archived