BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Guardian article on Kean - unbelievable!

It might be of help in the 'case' against Alexander, but the Guardian was happy for me to take part in an on-line debate in a professional capacity earlier this year but not post on their site with nothing more than facts about Kean and Venkys.

Sad because I've bought the paper every day since 1981.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

First time poster here - been a reader of the forums for a long time and always found them to be the best source for good Rovers-related discussion, so keep up the good work etc!

The reason I've ended up signing up for an account today is that I read the Guardian article this morning and was so irritated that I ended up emailing their football editor Mike Adamson. Got a reply from him too, so thought people on here might be interested to see it.

So here's what I sent:

Then I got this reply:

To which I replied:

To which he said:

That's all of it. Hope it's of interest. Look forward to getting involved in discussions on here in the future.

Terrific post. Spot on in all aspects.

Interesting read from Gone South

What was the crack with John Jensen though? Never knew why he left. I heard a rumour that Kean was interviewing for a new assistant whilst he was still at the club though. Classy guy.....

They've got previous.... Same thing happened with Allardyce didn't it?

It might be of help in the 'case' against Alexander, but the Guardian was happy for me to take part in an on-line debate in a professional capacity earlier this year but not post on their site with nothing more than facts about Kean and Venkys.

Sad because I've bought the paper every day since 1981.

So what newspaper will you be changing to? There aren't many natural successors to the Guardian for people of your persuasion so It's prob why they feel so able to print anything they like with almost complete impunity. Just think if this had happened in '81 how much money you could have saved with no detriment to yourself.

I must say we all place too much trust in what we read in the papers. The dealings which I have had with the press have done nothing to convince me that accurate reporting is their brief. They cynically edit and spin everything to suit and one must always bear that in mind when reading them. Red tops are obviously the worst but imo no newspaper can be absolved from blame nor accepted as purveyors of the trurth.

As the old saying goes "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear". (Benjamin Franklin.)

I don't know why we are all so surprised by Alexander's article. The leftie pinko journos employed by this paper are as far removed from the ethos of the traditional football fan as it is possible to be.

So presumably a "traditional football fan" (whatever that is) has a "right-wing ethos". Brilliant !

The fact the Guardian allowed it to be re-written and substituted would seem to be an admission that they were in deep difficulties with the first version. Not that the second version doesn't also contravene Article 1 of the Editors' Code of Conduct in my opinion and the PCC has been asked to adjudicate accordingly.

Which part was re-written Philip?

Would you believe that some of the clubs supporters still blame the toxic atmosphere for driving away corporate business.

In other words SOME OF OUR OWN FANS blame the fans and not the owners or manager

It really beggars belief

Thanks for all the replies to my Guardian letter.

I take the points raised about Kean not receiving abuse that's any worse than other managers have received, and I agree it's important not to buy into the media line that views Rovers fans as worse than others. I suppose in my letter I was acknowledging that it has become quite vitriolic, but at the same time I think the journos who slate our fans for it should be able to see why the frustration has boiled over to this extent. And as I said in the letter, you don't see other fans getting this criticism when they start hurling abuse at managers or owners they want rid of. Just look at United fans with their Glazer protests - they were celebrated in the media if I remember rightly.

I'm interested to know what has changed in the Guardian article since it was first published? I first read it on Sunday evening, so I assume I read the first version. What has changed since?

I'm interested to know what has changed in the Guardian article since it was first published? I first read it on Sunday evening, so I assume I read the first version. What has changed since?

You mean apart from us all now having our phones hacked GS? ^_^

Given I have made the PCC complaint, I am not going to post both versions on here. The article headline changed and approximately 50% of the content changed. The first version had the line about Rovers would have become Portsmouth or Rangers without Venky's, the second version introduces the bit about Shebby Singh undermining all the pre-season goodwork....

Why else would a match report on the first game of the season not even cover the match until the penultimate paragraph?

That's this particular reporter's MO, which is why I stopped clipping his articles for my scrapbook about 20 years ago.

I'm still convinced he's winding us all up, and appears to have done a tremendous job of it. To me it reads like gallows humour, not the Venkys PR piece many here assume it is.

Given I have made the PCC complaint, I am not going to post both versions on here. The article headline changed and approximately 50% of the content changed. The first version had the line about Rovers would have become Portsmouth or Rangers without Venky's, the second version introduces the bit about Shebby Singh undermining all the pre-season goodwork....

In my opinion, it sounds like an Anderson/Agnew/Kean press release, wonder how much that cost?

Why else would a match report on the first game of the season not even cover the match until the penultimate paragraph?

The Guardian - not a paper any Rovers fan should buy.

Match reports are covered by the Sunday newspapers - by Monday the match is old hat and the reports are opinion or comment pieces or follow-up stories from the match. Basic journalism.

David Conn in the Guardian has been supportive of Rovers in the past. Just because you don't agree with the content doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it or read it. I disagree with most of the editorial slant of the Daily Mail but I still read it. It's called knowing your enemy.

I'd be a Guardian reader, always have been. That said, their stance in relation to this particular topic has been utterly disgraceful.

Thanks for all the replies to my Guardian letter.

I take the points raised about Kean not receiving abuse that's any worse than other managers have received, and I agree it's important not to buy into the media line that views Rovers fans as worse than others. I suppose in my letter I was acknowledging that it has become quite vitriolic

With all due respect, I'm not sure it has become particularly vitriolic. With the exception of a tiny minority, the disquiet directed at Kean has been heartfelt, consistent and, for the most part, pretty unoriginal (planes trailing banners aside).

Match reports are covered by the Sunday newspapers - by Monday the match is old hat and the reports are opinion or comment pieces or follow-up stories from the match. Basic journalism.

David Conn in the Guardian has been supportive of Rovers in the past. Just because you don't agree with the content doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it or read it.

You are correct, it is very basic journalism. Yellow journalism, in fact.

Oh, and I did read it. I won't be buying it though. The content is inflammatory and the style is biased against Rovers supporters and the good of the club.

You are correct, it is very basic journalism. Yellow journalism, in fact.

It isn't "yellow journalism". Monday sports match reports from a Saturday by their nature have moved on from an event that happened 2 days previously and have always had a different angle. It's basic journalism, and a it's good journalism.

You are the one missing out by not reading an alternative view. It's known as broadening your mind.

The complaint has been given a complaint number and assigned a complaint officer by the PCC. They aim to achieve a determination within 50 days (35 working days).

Philip, I'm sure you had to detail your complaint. I'd be interested to see what you submitted.

Archived