BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] worst striker you have seen at ewood?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have thought Goodwillie has been terrible since he joined but today he actually looked a little useful. I would like to see a bit more of him over the next few games. Kazim-Richards is first choice but a Rochina-Goodwillie partnership might have a some value going forward. In the Prem he was easily physically dominated and lacked pace but down in the Championship he look like he can compete with the centre backs more.

Goodwillie has never had a chance to develop at Rovers. I remember him scoring a couple last season then Kean dropping him. The same happened with Rochina, he had about three games where he started, scored a couple then nobhead dropped him.

People forget that when Matt Jansen first came to the club he was branded as greedy. I remember him getting some stick from the crowd telling him to pass it and stop trying to walk through defences, and he ended up being one of my favourite strikers ever to have worn the shirt.

I remember Andy Kennedy from the 1980s - he was a lump, but got plenty of goals for us.

I remember him coming back playing for Brighton (I think). He thought he had scored and did a fantastic dance in front of the Blackburn End for what must have been half a minute.

His face was a picture when he realised he had been offside and his 'goal' had been cancelled out.

Anyone else remember that or am I dreaming?

I remember Andy Kennedy from the 1980s - he was a lump, but got plenty of goals for us.

I remember him coming back playing for Brighton (I think). He thought he had scored and did a fantastic dance in front of the Blackburn End for what must have been half a minute.

His face was a picture when he realised he had been offside and his 'goal' had been cancelled out.

think I remember that yeah. He was an absolute tart but he did ok relative to the level we were at IMO...

Kuqi was a sack of sh!te.

Atleast he scored a few headers and linked up well with Bellamy, that Ashley Ward had the skill of making himself smaller when he went for a header.Didnt want to spoil his bouffant.

Jim Fryatt was a bit of a liability with the ball at his feet but what a header of the ball. He could head a ball harder than most of the current team can shoot.

Shearer was a goal scoring machine and played 100 % every game so he's our all time best striker but Fred Pickering would run him very close. A really powerful shot in either foot ( Shearer hadn't, he relied on his right foot mainly ), great header of the ball, cool and composed in front of goal, good pace and a priceless ability to beat players either out wide or in a crowded goal mouth on either side. Fred had it all ability wise. His only failing was his temperament, some games he just didn't impose himself on the opposition, one thing you could never say about Shearer.

When Fred was on song he was amazing. He should have made the 1966 World Cup squad but Sir Alf preferred the more hard working but predictable Geoff Hurst and Roger Hunt.

After Fred left we had the long list of George Jones, Martin Britt, Alan Gilliver,Jim Fryatt, Frank Lord, Bryan Conlon,Barry Endean etc all bought to replace him and mainly real flops.

Fred came back to Ewood an overweight, worn out shadow of his former self for a few games in the team that saw us relegated to Div 3, it was heartbreaking to see.

Ashley Ward was so bad that in one game he got booked early, then mistimed another tackle, there was a cry of Off, Off, Off from the home crowd to the ref.

He wasn't the worst but certainly not great.

I'd say Kevin Davies was up there amongst the worst I've seen at Ewood (prior to Big Sam teaching him the physical side of the game). He had no redeeming feature to his game.

#1 - Corrado "Ciccio" Grabbi. 7m quid of utter crap.

Honorable mentions:

Martin Dahlin - 27 apps 4 goals

Kevin Davies - 23 apps 1 goal

Anthony Modeste - 9 apps 0 goals (and never threatened)

Robbie Fowler - 3 apps 0 goals (he was way past it when he arrived)

Francis Jeffers - 10 apps 0 goals (Can't believe he went to Arsenal for so much cash!)

I remember that but I thought it was Watford! That's one of the reasons I hated him. Wasn't particularly that I thought he was bad

What was Hakan sukur like across his 10 or so games he played for us?

I remember him scoring twice in 1 game but that's about it, my memory's hazy

Top class centre forward ( Reckoned to be Turkey's best ever player and was their most capped player at one time ). If I remember correctly he broke his leg in training almost as soon as he arrived so his debut was delayed. I remember him giving a master class in how to play centre-forward away at Fulham, made it look like a man playing against boys ! We won the next match but following that game we were away at Man Utd, Souey being Souey decided to bench Sukur and recall Dwight " Mr. Lazy " Cole. Cole did absolutely naff all as usual and Souey was forced to bring Sukur on but by then the damage was done. Sukur was mightily and rightly ###### off and was on his way out of the club from that moment. Another what might have been. He looked like a classier version of Chris Sutton.

Top class centre forward ( Reckoned to be Turkey's best ever player and was their most capped player at one time ). If I remember correctly he broke his leg in training almost as soon as he arrived so his debut was delayed. I remember him giving a master class in how to play centre-forward away at Fulham, made it look like a man playing against boys ! We won the next match but following that game we were away at Man Utd, Souey being Souey decided to bench Sukur and recall Dwight " Mr. Lazy " Cole. Sukur was mightily and rightly ###### of off and was on his way from that moment. Another what might have been. He looked like a classier version of Chris Sutton.

He was absolute class in that Fulham game. Couldn't remember the circumstances that made him leave, especially as Souey had already worked with him and rated him so highly...

Nathan Blake was a Roy Hodgson panic buy when the attempt to sign Dion Dublin broke down. Apart from that goal against Liverpool in the cup he didn't do a great deal.

I remember that infamous 2-2 game against the red rats when Beckham scored from that free kick that was taken too early. After Craig Short was sent off and we had to play out the last ten minutes or so with ten men to hang on for a point Souey sent Blake on with the obvious instructions to run his nuts off and chase down every long ball from our defence. Blake just loitered about aimlessly on the half way line and barely touched the ball whilst the rest of the team defended like their lives depended on it. I don't think he played again for Rovers after that.

Top class centre forward ( Reckoned to be Turkey's best ever player and was their most capped player at one time ). If I remember correctly he broke his leg in training almost as soon as he arrived so his debut was delayed. I remember him giving a master class in how to play centre-forward away at Fulham, made it look like a man playing against boys ! We won the next match but following that game we were away at Man Utd, Souey being Souey decided to bench Sukur and recall Dwight " Mr. Lazy " Cole. Cole did absolutely naff all as usual and Souey was forced to bring Sukur on but by then the damage was done. Sukur was mightily and rightly ###### off and was on his way out of the club from that moment. Another what might have been. He looked like a classier version of Chris Sutton.

Dwight Cole huh? ^_^

Archived