BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean resigns!

booth

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn been out all day and this is the first I have heard of it.. utterly elated....

For me the man who deserves allot of credit has to be Shebby.. never been overly sure on him but lets be frank allot of this has been his doing.. on his own at Rovers, surrounded by Kean and his mates he has achieved what I was beginning to think was unachievable...

WELL DONE SHEBBY

I admit that I felt a moment of despair earlier today as I considered his apparently limitless supply of ultra-positive bullshit. I feared he'd be around for ages.

He claims he's resigned. Personally I believe he's been sacked but has been allowed to spin one final lie to go with his payoff. Can you honestly see this greedy, deluded and dishonourable man walking away from a settlement? Given the craven way in which he has held on to power since his coup, I seriously doubt that an untenable position is the sole reason for his merciful departure.

While I am loath to sympathise with him in any way, one can't help but feel that it didn't have to be this way for Kean or the club. Venky's are clearly the worst owners ever to have darkened the door of English football (if indeed they are the owners, though that's a different debate) yet at the end of his near-disastrous, certainly embarrassing first season he could have walked away. The club had almost been relegated on his watch and he had been shown to be unsuited to the task of Premier League management. Had he gone then there would have been scope to rebuild and regroup - notwithstanding the owners' bizarre behaviour of course. While he would have been remembered with little fondness, his time at the club would have proved relatively forgettable, his reputation and prospects would have remained on the right side of healthy.

Instead, Kean embraced the role handed to him, a role in which he was hopelessly out of place. His ego, his arrogance and his awe-inspiring sense of entitlement would never allow him to leave behind the fiefdom he had been granted. In this world he enjoyed influence, power and riches that would never have come his way under normal circumstances, no matter how hard he worked. There was no way he was going to abandon it all, no matter how precarious or superficial the situation.

When faced with any challenge to this reality - a challenge based on the only substantive factor in all of this, his results - he doubled down on his involvement and buckled in for the long haul, determined to mine every last penny from the situation. Even in the face of his obvious failings - and in what other way can one view the manner of the club's relegation - he was not to be budged. Crap manager, good coach, whatever. He was never going to have it this good again. With the willing and able assistance of his agent, his PR shield and a host of enablers in the national media he lasted longer than anybody in his position had a right to last.

Unfortunately for him, the fact that his world was built on sand, subject to the whim of erratic and foolish people, means that his time has now come at last. Whatever you think of Singh, his arrival clearly heralded something of a nadir for Kean. His direct line to India was cut, his nonsense was now subject to internal scrutiny.

Regardless of what his mates say to the world, his reputation as a manager is in tatters. His abilities as a coach - once revered - are now overshadowed by his grubby, off-field antics and back room slithering. These things, and his obvious role in the sacking of the ever popular Allardyce, mean that his name is mud. In spite of the ignorance displayed by many non-Rovers, not one of them will wish to see Kean in any sort of influential role within their club. His chances of managing once more at the top? Nil. He'll play the victim of course, he knows no other way. Perhaps a gig on Sky Sports beckons. We all know the truth though.

I don't wish to be a fatalist but I seriously hope his pernicious influence has been removed fully. Time will tell I suppose.

Rovers fans will face much criticism in the coming days, much of it will come from Kean's allies in the media of course. Personally I plan to answer as much of it as I can, to put the record straight. Wherever he pitches up next I'll be straight on to that club's fan boards to warn them to be on the lookout: there is a fox in the henhouse.

As to what happens next? A proper manager is essential of course, one who can be easily removed in the future should it ever be required. The spotlight moves to Venky's now. They are, ostensibly at least, largely responsible for the chaos at Ewood. While they have taken a necessary first step, they must not be allowed to rest on their laurels. Our vigilance remains crucial.

Well I had settled myself in for a quiet night watching the ryder cup then heard the glorious news so out celebrating we went.

Ding dong! Kean is dead, Kean is dead, Kean is dead. Wake up sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed. Wake up, Kean is dead. Ding dong! Kean is dead.

Well maybe not dead but gone forever and it’s the next best thing.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy a weight has been lifted off my shoulders its like floating.

We just need an actual manager for first time since 2010>.

So the fun and games now means we have a decent chance of doing this again to the motherfudgers up the road. I love to see them wound up like the little muffins they are

Unfortunately our 6 fingered friends' chances have diminished somewhat tonight!!!

Totally unrelated, massive hats off to Mercerman! Bang on the money!

(sadly not mine)

Can we go back to days of hero worship again now please

I doubt we'll see a player like him ever again at our club pal. Absolute class.

Just got back from a night out to hear this.....absolutely elated, haven't got the vocabulary to do it justice....good riddance, good luck at your next football jo....good luck.

I'm up for never mentioning his name again....congratulations to all my fellow Rovers fans :tu:

Where we'll go from here is another matter for another day...I'm just gonna savour this moment that I've been waiting for, for too long.

If I could make one request, it's that I hope people don't post articles or twitter/newspaper comments from uniformed idiots that don't know the true story....nobody wants to read them and let them think what they want.

Bring on Charlton and hopefully Vukcevic and Henley.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a day that will live on in history as the day the supporters of our club began to take back what's rightfully ours... It's been a long hard road since venkys took over and we're not at the end yet, but this should make us all believe that ultimately the power resides with us, not venkys or kean or ja or anyone else.

Thank God he's gone. It was clear that he was clueless almost as soon as he got in and the way in which he got the job meant he never had my support.

As an aside I just read this statement:

The action group, who have regularly protested against Kean's employment throughout his reign, issued a more formal statement in which they said: "Following 654 days as manager, 373 days since the first protest, 74 matches, 37 defeats, one forfeit, one relegation, a third board of directors, three assistant managers and a community in mourning, today will go down as the day when Blackburn Rovers was liberated from the man who has brought a whole club's supporter base to their knees with tears.

"They have had thoughts of helplessness and pure anguish at what they have seen unfold at Blackburn Rovers since that ill-fated day he was appointed in December 2010.

"Never in the club's history has one man brought so much despair to the terraces and survived against all odds like Steve Kean has managed to - until today."

Supporters have publicly expressed their disappointment at Kean's refusal to apologise for the relegation, and have voted with their feet. The average attendance this season rests just above 13,000.

"It's been long, hard and painful 12 months. A lot has been spoken and many words have been written. However, one thing has remained constant - the supporters' fight to have a well-run club, with a manager who does not take the supporters for granted," the statement added.

"Steve Kean has single-handedly turned lifelong supporters away from the terraces by his lack of respect, his derogatory comments, his poor performance as a manager and constant excuses"

The words in bold make us look a bit soft. Think we should reign it in a bit IMO, makes us look like Scousers...

A good article on Kean here...

http://soccernet.esp...or-kean?cc=4716

Thank God he's gone. It was clear that he was clueless almost as soon as he got in and the way in which he got the job meant he never had my support.

As an aside I just read this statement:

The action group, who have regularly protested against Kean's employment throughout his reign, issued a more formal statement in which they said: "Following 654 days as manager, 373 days since the first protest, 74 matches, 37 defeats, one forfeit, one relegation, a third board of directors, three assistant managers and a community in mourning, today will go down as the day when Blackburn Rovers was liberated from the man who has brought a whole club's supporter base to their knees with tears.

"They have had thoughts of helplessness and pure anguish at what they have seen unfold at Blackburn Rovers since that ill-fated day he was appointed in December 2010.

"Never in the club's history has one man brought so much despair to the terraces and survived against all odds like Steve Kean has managed to - until today."

Supporters have publicly expressed their disappointment at Kean's refusal to apologise for the relegation, and have voted with their feet. The average attendance this season rests just above 13,000.

"It's been long, hard and painful 12 months. A lot has been spoken and many words have been written. However, one thing has remained constant - the supporters' fight to have a well-run club, with a manager who does not take the supporters for granted," the statement added.

"Steve Kean has single-handedly turned lifelong supporters away from the terraces by his lack of respect, his derogatory comments, his poor performance as a manager and constant excuses"

The words in bold make us look a bit soft. Think we should reign it in a bit IMO, makes us look like Scousers...

A good article on Kean here...

http://soccernet.esp...or-kean?cc=4716

Great article

Final word tonight, thank you to....

Nick Harris

Andy Cryer

Kamy

Martin Blackburn (if there are two I apologise)

To Mr Cryer... You always concentrated on the negatives. There were no positives. It can't have been easy. Cheers.

Glen Mullan...

Archived