BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

Imo Schuster represents the best of the experienced applicants

I'm beginning to wonder if his reputation has been unfairly inflated by his year at Real Madrid. This is his recent record:

Levante .... : 2004-05, 26.47%

Getafe ...... : 2005-07, 38.16%

Real Madrid : 2007-08, 66.04%

Besiktas .... : 2010-11, 58.06%

That's pretty poor to be honest. Besiktas win % looks good, but in context of the club in that league it's poor and he was eventually sacked.

For comparison, here's another manager who spent time at a club bigger than his talent should have allowed. Avram Grant:

Chelsea .... : 2007-08, 66.67%

Portsmouth : 2009-10, 30.30%

West Ham . : 2010-11, 31.91%

Partizan .... : 2012-12, 66.67%

Pretty similar I would say. Who wants Avram Grant based on a good year at Chelsea and a reasonable win percentage in a poor league?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I genuinely think McCarthy would guarantee us promotion if he came in. He knows how to get out of this league.

He wouldn't be as long term as Solskjaer or Schuster because there are serious doubts over his ability in the PL, but we could just cross that bridge when/if we came to it.

Yup I'd agree.

Practically we need to prioritise getting back to the Premier League ASAP. Right now we can sign the likes of Rhodes and hang on to some PL players as we are getting parachute payments. These stand at 16 million per season this season and next season. In our third and fourth seasons this will drop to 8 million per season, and will dry up completely after that.

Those are huge sums of money when we are competing against others in this division and offset the tiny gate receipts we get and then some.

However if we can't get up in the first two seasons while we are getting 16m a season, it will be harder still in years 3 and 4, especially as the players that were in the PL with us will go out of contract and leave. And come season 5, financially we would be not much better than someone like PNE as we wouldn't raise very much from our gates at all.

So the priority needs to be going up within two years. Otherwise we could well stay down, even if we have a pretty decent manager.

That's why I'm learning towards a McCarthy type figure. He's won this division twice, he knows what it takes and we have the squad to do it. OGS could be a brilliant appointment, however he's still learning the trade and the Championship is a tough league at the best of times. I'd probably pick Schuster over him although I'm wary of his chequered record. However I think he could bring in some good playersin Januay with his contacts.

Surely a knowledge of Chumpionship demands and how to succeed in this division is high on the list of requirements. OGS is a gamble whichever way you look at it, as is a manager without 'English Football Management' experience.

Whoever we get is going to be on a hiding to nothing, as promotion, it seems, is a foregone conclusion according to some!

don't think any manager guarentees promotion, the pain in the ass is they are going to have to get us through to january staying at least top 6 before they can improve the squad and it just compounds the stupidity of not binning coco a lot earlier.

i think it will be like the previous relegation next season will be the best bet i think rhodes would be the only real loss from not going up this year as the squad is that poor

don't think any manager guarentees promotion, the pain in the ass is they are going to have to get us through to january staying at least top 6 before they can improve the squad and it just compounds the stupidity of not binning coco a lot earlier.

i think it will be like the previous relegation next season will be the best bet i think rhodes would be the only real loss from not going up this year as the squad is that poor

the squad isnt that poor, they have been miss managed, under trained (fitness wise) and no proper tactical instructions. With all of them in place from a "real" manager we will walk this league

Surely a knowledge of Chumpionship demands and how to succeed in this division is high on the list of requirements. OGS is a gamble whichever way you look at it, as is a manager without 'English Football Management' experience.

Whoever we get is going to be on a hiding to nothing, as promotion, it seems, is a foregone conclusion according to some!

I agree Solskjaer is a risk, but he does seem a bit special. The stories of him studying the game from the sideline as a player, the amount of top people that rate him highly, the eagerness of Ferguson to put him in charge of the United reserves, the near-miracle of winning a first league title for Molde in his first season...it all points towards him being a fantastic manager in the making.

He's probably the only one that's worth the risk now that we have these experienced names coming to the fore; certainly Sherwood, Shearer etc. don't have the pedigree of OGS.

the squad isnt that poor, they have been miss managed, under trained (fitness wise) and no proper tactical instructions. With all of them in place from a "real" manager we will walk this league

Me and you would do as good a job as Murphy and Lowe could offer . All the training in the world wont make these guys any better players just better players playing alongside them will, or should I say carry them.

Andy Cryer - McCarthy would be perfect For the Rovers Job

http://www.talksport...urn-job-182306?

I genuinely think McCarthy would guarantee us promotion if he came in. He knows how to get out of this league.

He wouldn't be as long term as Solskjaer or Schuster because there are serious doubts over his ability in the PL, but we could just cross that bridge when/if we came to it.

McCarthy would get us promoted. Get him in on a two year deal, get up and if we're struggling in the PL next Xmas bin him with little compo to pay and get someone else in. Simple really.

McCarthy would get us promoted. Get him in on a two year deal, get up and if we're struggling in the PL next Xmas bin him with little compo to pay and get someone else in. Simple really.

McCarthy would also be comedy gold. That's the most important thing.

I'm beginning to wonder if his reputation has been unfairly inflated by his year at Real Madrid. This is his recent record:

Levante .... : 2004-05, 26.47%

Getafe ...... : 2005-07, 38.16%

Real Madrid : 2007-08, 66.04%

Besiktas .... : 2010-11, 58.06%

That's pretty poor to be honest. Besiktas win % looks good, but in context of the club in that league it's poor and he was eventually sacked.

For comparison, here's another manager who spent time at a club bigger than his talent should have allowed. Avram Grant:

Chelsea .... : 2007-08, 66.67%

Portsmouth : 2009-10, 30.30%

West Ham . : 2010-11, 31.91%

Partizan .... : 2012-12, 66.67%

Pretty similar I would say. Who wants Avram Grant based on a good year at Chelsea and a reasonable win percentage in a poor league?

Would disagree there, you talk of his time at Besiktas as awful.. yet he had a higher win percentage than the managers before and after him by a big margin (best was 58%) they also went through 4 managers in under 2 years....

Levante and Getafe (both seasons he took them to their highest finish and even through in a very memorable 4-0 win over one of the dream teams) where both small clubs with very very small budgets (Getafe where bought later by the dubai group and his time there most def raised their profile), his work at both clubs led him to be appointed the Real manager (which is no easy feat).. and his time at Real is very highly regarded by Real fans for both the record points total and the style in which they played (its still widely regarded as one of the best and most entertaining sides of the last century).

OGS completely reformed the way Molde ran on a footballing level from top to bottom. He is extremely thorough and professional.

Would love it if he came to Blackburn, but I see it as unlikely at this point in time, unless Blackburn are willing to wait till the end of the season in Norway...

This (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html) should be our next manager - end of story.

Realistic, achievable, passionate, knowledgable, hard-working, meticulous, and a little bit nuts. Proven record in this country albeit at a lower level.

Solksjaer and Schuster would be great, but realistically I just don't see them coming to Rovers. We won't get Holloway or Poyet from Blackpool or Brighton. McCarthy would probably be OK for 12 months, then we'd be in another 'Kean Out' situation.

Cue the decryers and xenophobes ;)

Would disagree there, you talk of his time at Besiktas as awful.. yet he had a higher win percentage than the managers before and after him by a big margin (best was 58%) they also went through 4 managers in under 2 years....

Levante and Getafe (both seasons he took them to their highest finish and even through in a very memorable 4-0 win over one of the dream teams) where both small clubs with very very small budgets (Getafe where bought later by the dubai group and his time there most def raised their profile), his work at both clubs led him to be appointed the Real manager (which is no easy feat).. and his time at Real is very highly regarded by Real fans for both the record points total and the style in which they played (its still widely regarded as one of the best and most entertaining sides of the last century).

I didn't say his time at Besiktas was awful, but it certainly wasn't good. A run of poor results led to him leaving.

It's good to add some context to numbers so the description of his time in Spain is helpful. However, you have to say that 26% win percentage at Levante is poor, whatever way you look at it. It's marginally better than Kean. Getafe was probably more successful than the numbers suggest.

Don't get me wrong, if he gets appointed I certainly won't be disappointed. I just got a bit caught up in the "Ex-Real Madrid manager" thing, after looking at his record in more detail I realised there's not as much there as I thought.

Proven record in this country albeit at a lower level.

You keep saying that, but he's only proven in League Two. Why aren't you suggesting other managers that were successful in League Two?

I can answer that for you - the answer is that he's a fancy name because of his playing days. We fell into that trap once already with Paul Ince.

You keep saying that, but he's only proven in League Two. Why aren't you suggesting other managers that were successful in League Two?

I can answer that for you - the answer is that he's a fancy name because of his playing days. We fell into that trap once already with Paul Ince.

Because it's clear he's destined for bigger and better things. Read the article - he sounds from that like the kind of person I'd want in charge of the club.

And people keep suggesting OGS - but he's only done in it the Norwegian league - arguably not far off League One standard and culturally different from England. Isn't he then just another fancy name because of his playing days? Just because he played for United and/or was under Fergie means nothing - Kidd, Strachan, and Bruce should tell you that. Equally as risky IMO.

LeChuck - couldn't you easily flip your own logic and ask 'Why don't you name other successful managers in Norway?'

Not that I'm necessarily against Solskjaer but it's a valid point all the same.

Because it's clear he's destined for bigger and better things. Read the article - he sounds from that like the kind of person I'd want in charge of the club.

And people keep suggesting OGS - but he's only done in it the Norwegian league - arguably not far off League One standard and culturally different from England. Isn't he then just another fancy name because of his playing days? Just because he played for United and/or was under Fergie means nothing - Kidd, Strachan, and Bruce should tell you that. Equally as risky IMO.

The best teams in norway would compete in the championship, and its culturally not very different from the championship, very physical league. Solskjær did knock out Herenveen in the uefa qualifier, a team managed by van basten. But i would agree solskjær has been given everything on a silver plate.

Molde did finish second 2 years prior to him taking over, the year after they struggled but the squad was still strong, just lacked confidence. When he signed for molde the owners really opened their pockets for him, he got lots of cash to spend and could sign alot of players he wanted and compete with rosenborg on players.

His also a media wonderboy, everyone loves him so a lot of young talents have flocked to molde to play under him. So in respect of that he's had a quite easy path, where for instance Henning Berg which i regard highly finished 3rd his first season with very little resources, he made alot of money on player transfers and the club actually went bankrupt after he left the club.

Then he went to one of norways sleeping giants which have failed and dissappointed every season for over a decade now. They were struggling financially but Hennings keen eye on transfers and player management got the club back on course. Every season they started good, but they had to sell their best players and they got close to relegation season. When the club was financially stable he got sacked, quite unfairly imo. that club is not the norwegian equilent of QPR. they have signed 20 players or so, and are doing really bad.

based on that i would rate Hennings achivements higher than Solskjær, cause he had to work for it, but i think Solskjær may be a bigger manager talent.

LeChuck - couldn't you easily flip your own logic and ask 'Why don't you name other successful managers in Norway?'

Not that I'm necessarily against Solskjaer but it's a valid point all the same.

Definitely...not sure I'd have much of answer!

I guess it's a question you throw at the suggestion of any manager. I do think there's a big difference between winning a club's first ever title in Norway and League Two promotion....but still, the question you posed is no less valid for that.

Archived