BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

well its a good result but at home its not a shocking result by a norwegian club. away would be a bigger achievement. it will be a good achievement if he takes them through to the playoff stages. results like today happen all the time, especially in the uefa cup.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to think Shebby is gonna go for Shearer. He'd bring the crowds back.

I think the biggest issue we have is the discountent amongst the fans, the squad is plenty strong enough.

If Shearer is keen to manage again he should be all over this

Possible his stock might right too high for us at this rate.

I've got no doubt that he's the real deal.

You'd also have to ask, how he would be received when visiting his home town if he left before the end of their domestic season and they missed out on the Europa latter stages.

Ray Wilkins does have a brilliant knowledge of Wilpshire

heard something similar recently from Marple Leaf on twitter, buying a house, is it true then?

i think shearer would be great, has passion, something which kean could never have, im sure everybody was sceptical about hughes when he got the job, he never had a great deal of managerial experience but look what happened, if he has a good backroom staff behind him it could be exciting times ahead

i think shearer would be great, has passion, something which kean could never have, im sure everybody was sceptical about hughes when he got the job, he never had a great deal of managerial experience but look what happened, if he has a good backroom staff behind him it could be exciting times ahead

Aside from 40+ games at international level, you mean?

If it wasn't for the fact he once played for us, who would *honestly* want Shearer here?

I wouldnt trust anyone from Venkys to manage a FIFA13 team ,let alone get this massive decision right. How can the stupid cow get it right when shes only ever been to one game in her life and didnt sack numb nuts. Im very worried .

Not sure why I keep re-reading the bit where you call her a stupid cow; but for some reason it makes me kill myself laughing!

Could it be the comedic wording of the sentence? the fact that you are spot on as usual? or the effects of 4x 660ml bottles of Becks coursing through my veins?

God I'm looking forward to Saturday! :brfcsmilie::wacko:

No. Hughes spent five years in charge of Wales. He beat the likes of Germany and Italy and drew against Argentina and the Czechs amongst others. He took them about sixty places up the FIFA rankings. He outsmarted some of the finest managers in international football in the process. Clearly he had a good amount of experience.

Shearer has managed for eight games for a Newcastle team who were far too good to go down. He got five points and effectively relegated them (as if they even got six points from those eight games they would have stayed up).

I'm starting to think Shebby is gonna go for Shearer. He'd bring the crowds back.

I think the biggest issue we have is the discountent amongst the fans, the squad is plenty strong enough.

If Shearer is keen to manage again he should be all over this

No, the biggest issue we have is needing a manager who can get results.

The reason why we had discontent amongst the fans is because we had a manager who couldn't get results.

f you want Shearer to come, any opinion you might have had on Steve Kean is rendered invalid. Because on paper Shearer is an even worse appointment than Kean was. God knows I was vehemently opposed to Steve Kean in charge, right from the day he took charge of the West Ham game. But at least he'd commanded some respect within the game as a coach.

The Shearer bashing on here is absolutely ridiculous!

He managed 8 games!!! No wonder he has a worse record, that's just totally unfair.

Obafemi Martins refused to play & Joey Barton was got sent off for him, not to mention that they were already doomed.

He's not my first choice but just to balance things up...

SHEARER IN!!!

well i would of course support him. I will support almost anyone who gets the job, but im worried for the reason why he wants to get into management. i read an old interview with him a week ago,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/03/alan-shearer-coaching-management-england

"I've got a great life that I really enjoy. But there is something chewing at me inside: that adrenaline rush from football, I miss that," he says. "I was very close to doing it. I thought I had one but didn't get it. I was practically offered another [Cardiff City, in the summer] but it wasn't to be."

should we hire a guy who wants to get into management because he miss the adrenaline rush? i just think there are better candidates out there

im pretty sure shearer has far more respect from his playing days than kean does from being some backwater coach at a few tinpot clubs

But I'm pretty sure assistant managing in the Premier League (with Fulham) and La Liga (with Sociedad) made Kean far, far more qualified to do the job than Alan Shearer. Yes Kean ended up being awful but those jobs at least give you many transferrable skills to being a manager.

But I'm pretty sure assistant managing in the Premier League (with Fulham) and La Liga (with Sociedad) made Kean far, far more qualified to do the job than Alan Shearer. Yes Kean ended up being awful but those jobs at least give you many transferrable skills to being a manager.

Are you on a wind up mate?

Are you on a wind up mate?

No, assistant managing in the Premier League and La Liga makes you much more qualified to be a manager than sitting on a MOTD sofa, offering terrible opinions and managing for all of 8 games getting Newcastle relegated in the process.

The fact that Kean ended up being terrible isn't the point here, what is the point is that Shearer would be an even worse appointment than Kean on paper.

I might ask if people are on the wind up suggesting Shearer.

For what it's worth I agree with your points here. But... it's Alan Shearer. What's not to like? :brfcsmilie:

I never held a grudge against the guy for the way he left Rovers, I was twelve years old when he left and in the years after I'd still cheer him at Ewood although others booed him.

But since then I've been a lot less keen. The way he got away with the Neil Lennon incident as a player, how he manages to extract ridiculous amounts of licence fee payers money and doesn't even seem to do any preparation for his MOTD shows, it's just lazy. And how he wants to manage but shows little willingness to get his hands a bit dirty at a lower league club or doing a spot of coaching first of all.

For what it's worth I agree with your points here. But... it's Alan Shearer. What's not to like? :brfcsmilie:

And while we all know Shearer is far from experienced as a manager and might not be most people's first pick, most of us know he's one of the few candidates who will get us all back down to Ewood and pulling in one direction. Eric Black, on paper, is far more qualified than Shearer to manage the club. But it doesn't mean it's the right appointment for the club.

I'd rather Eric Black than Shearer.

Once the results started going bad (which under Shearer would be very soon), everyone would start pulling in different directions again.

In fact, it would probably even be worse, as at least with Kean there was no emotional attachment to the guy so the fans could present a reasonably united Kean Out front (eventually).

With Shearer I'm sure there would be a section of people who would still cling on to keeping him just because they'd want to see him succeed.

My personal preference out of those two would be Shearer.

If we compare the last two years to a gruelling week at work then we need to get p*ssed and have a good time. Maybe Shearer is just what this club needs.

I would be very disappointed if we kept Eric Black, but would still prefer him to Shearer.

I would disagree. We need a gruelling year at work. Getting out of this league is very difficult. We all like getting p*ssed and having a good time but the biggest problem is the hangover. And the hangover from the initial euphoria of having Shearer at the club would be in the form of bad results.

Sort out tactics, team selection and man management and we will get results.

Get results and we will be near the top of the league.

If we are near the top of the league the fans will come back in their droves and there will be a feel good factor about the place, especially if we get promoted.

That's the route to success.

If we try and artificially manufacture a feel good factor about the place by installing a manager who doesn't know how his way round tactics, team selection or man management then we won't get the necessary results. There won't be much of a feel good factor about the place when we are lying in mid table ten points off the play off places. And the name of a Rovers legend would be tarnished.

well one positive thing with shearer is he does have something to prove. he was almost ridiculed after his 8 game spell in newcastle, so i guess if he wants to get back to the game he will have done some work prior and will do everything he can to succeed

So do Steve Kean and Paul Ince.

So, who is your choice, SydneyRover?

I'd be pretty happy with a lot of the other named candidates.

Mick McCarthy would probably be first choice for me. He might not be the sexy name that people want, but he will win matches, has won this division twice so knows the tactics needed to get results. If we sit top of the league that will bring a much better feel good factor than having Shearer at the club struggling away in mid table.

OGS I'm not quite as crazy about as some are on here, but I would be happy. Only worry would be he is still learning his trade and might need time to do so, and with the parachute payments diminishing after a couple of years, together with our very low gate receipts if we dont go up in the next two years financially we will be one of the poorer teams in the league and might stay down so he needs to be on the money pretty early on into the job. However he's done well so far, knows the English style and seems a real student of the game.

Schuster I'd be happy with, but again have a few reservations. Yes he won La Liga with Real and is a big name but has a mixed career. Still he clearly has the experience and hopefully should be able to steer one of the best (if not the best) team on paper in this league to promotion.

Others like Curbishley etc but I don't think they're even in the frame.

Shearer though, if we appointed him then it would be an absolute disaster. Have you ever heard the guy talk about football?

My pick would be Mick McCarthy also. Proven at this level and a big personality.

Some of the other names mentioned are fanciful in my opinion.

Shearer would initially put bums on seats - and I mean a lot of them - he still enjoys legend status in Blackburn, but then so does Sherwood and most of the title winning squad. Mark Atkins anyone?

Seriously though, ex-players seldom work, especially if they have little or no management experience.

Archived