BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not at all sure that McCarthy would be the shoe in to get us promoted everyone thinks he is.

I've just had a look on Wikipedia and his record is something like:

Sunderland: Play offs (unsuccessful) / Champions / Relegation

Wolves: Play offs (unsuccessful) / missed out on play offs altogether (7th) / Champions / 15th / 17th / Relegation

Is that any sort of guarantee of success? My own feeling on McCarthy is that he is a great bloke. A big gruff Yorkshireman who says what he likes and likes what he says. And that it is this likeability (is there such a word?) that at times inspires his players to play to the best of their ability. Unfortunately that isn't always enough and sometimes you reach a level when that on it's own nearly always isn't enough.

For me, my gut feeling is that there are two potentially outstanding candidates out there who could well go onto very big things in the game - Solskjaer and Di Canio. I'd love to interview those two and hear their thoughts.

If however it was decided we absolutely had to go down the "tried and trusted" route, I'd rather we tried for Holloway than McCarthy or Curbishley.

I'm not at all sure that McCarthy would be the shoe in to get us promoted everyone thinks he is.

Wolves: Play offs (unsuccessful) / missed out on play offs altogether (7th) / Champions / 15th / 17th / Relegation

Is that any sort of guarantee of success? My own feeling on McCarthy is that he is a great bloke. A big gruff Yorkshireman who says what he likes and likes what he says. And that it is this likeability (is there such a word?) that at times inspires his players to play to the best of their ability. Unfortunately that isn't always enough and sometimes you reach a level when that on it's own nearly always isn't enough.

For me, my gut feeling is that there are two potentially outstanding candidates out there who could well go onto very big things in the game - Solskjaer and Di Canio. I'd love to interview those two and hear their thoughts.

If however it was decided we absolutely had to go down the "tried and trusted" route, I'd rather we tried for Holloway than McCarthy or Curbishley.

No manager can guarantee promotion, but him winning the league twice is a big factor.

Additionally, I think our team is stronger than either of those Sunderland or Wolves teams.

Personally, McCarthy would not be my choice because he is not going to be a long term solution. We might get promoted but I don't think we'd stay up with him in charge.

I'd love to see Tugay back in a coaching role with Shearer coaching the strikers, Henning Berg defensive coach with KD as manager. Wouldn't that be a dream team (that probably would be useless)? Not going to happen though.

Whoever gets the job is going to need everyone behind him. There will always be someone who won't like the manager but as long as everyone gets behind the next guy, he stands a fighting chance.

Btw, that does not mean I think Kean didn't get one. He did.

Interesting that those who did not actually see Shearer play for Rovers in the flesh (many of our overseas fans) are less keen on taking him than are those who were caught up in the euphoria of the 94-95 season first-hand. When you take emotion out of it, would you want Shearer. Answer, probably not. Although my family were all big Rovers fans at the time, I never saw Shearer play for Rovers either, so it's perhaps no surprise I don't really want him as manager. I don't know who I do want, and if Shearer came, I'd be more than willing to get behind him, but all I want is someone who is straight with fans and who has some experience of managing successfully, preferably in the championship,but not necessarily. I want to get back to the euphoria of feeling we'd played fairly well and WON

Almost completely off topic but I had a dream (or was it a nightmare?) last night that Matt Jansen was announced as our new manager!!! I think I woke up very briefly thinking, "Oh no..."

Think I have been reading this thread far too much!

But I'm pretty sure assistant managing in the Premier League (with Fulham) and La Liga (with Sociedad) made Kean far, far more qualified to do the job than Alan Shearer. Yes Kean ended up being awful but those jobs at least give you many transferrable skills to being a manager.

Your lack of respect towards Shearer is astounding. He could take the job, get us relegated twice and we would still be in debt to the bloke.

The image of Shearer and Newell stood on the sideline just fills you with excitement, yes he may turn out to be crap, but also the thought that Shearer could be the one to take us back up would galvanise the entire club and area.

If Shearer is so keen to be a manager why hasn't he been and done his pro licence?

Surely that's the first step people take. That's a requirement for a top flight manager and not doing it surely shows something about him.

Personally wouldn't want Shearer - especially with the quality of the other candidates - however many are judging on a short eight game stint at Newcastle - imagine if Man United had taken such a knee jerk reaction with Alex Ferguson. Before anyone says it - I realise Fergie had an excellent managerial pedigree prior to United - but I don't think Shearer should be damned for his short stint at Newcastle.

Shearer is many things, already discussed to death. Bottom line it would be bloody exciting to have a club legend manage the club. With maybe Newell. If it doesn't work out he won't pull a kean and fight tooth and nail to keep a job he is not able for.

We are all still shell shocked at how hard it was to remove the fat bald pig. Most managers would have quit once they knew they were not up to it.

Personal pride and all that but the pig just wanted the money nothing else.

Shearer is many things, already discussed to death. Bottom line it would be bloody exciting to have a club legend manage the club. With maybe Newell. If it doesn't work out he won't pull a kean and fight tooth and nail to keep a job he is not able for.

We are all still shell shocked at how hard it was to remove the fat bald pig. Most managers would have quit once they knew they were not up to it.

Newell looked promising as a manager and perhaps has the tactical brain that shearer would lack. I would say that would be a good combination although two strikers in a management team would mean the need to appoint some decent midfield/defensive coaches.-i'd take that combination over a large number of the names mentioned in this thread. McCarthy just does not excite me as a prospect-an appointment that lacks excitement and just seems safe, boring and mundane...o.k experienced but i don't know....the idea just leaves me feeling cold. With Shearer/Newell or OGS o.k they lack experience and are unproven but they offer excitement and passion for the fans-that to me is what football should be about...i want our club to have something that sets it apart. Heart/family feel not sure McCarthy can bring that..

Not sure why I keep re-reading the bit where you call her a stupid cow; but for some reason it makes me kill myself laughing!

Could it be the comedic wording of the sentence? the fact that you are spot on as usual? or the effects of 4x 660ml bottles of Becks coursing through my veins?

God I'm looking forward to Saturday! :brfcsmilie::wacko:

You need beer to enjoy yourself

Your lack of respect towards Shearer is astounding. He could take the job, get us relegated twice and we would still be in debt to the bloke.

The image of Shearer and Newell stood on the sideline just fills you with excitement, yes he may turn out to be crap, but also the thought that Shearer could be the one to take us back up would galvanise the entire club and area.

Yes I'm with you on that but I will admit my heart wants Shearer and Newell and my head is telling me that someone with more experience is needed.

Shearer would be an all out gamble but I'm not having it that he will be guaranteed to fail. Jack could see what type of character he was when he tried to keep him at the club when he offered him to make him manager in the future and when John Williams asked him to apply for the job I'm sure he would have got it if he wanted it.

I feel people under estimate what Shearer has done for our club. Jack brought Kenny in and Kenny brought Shearer in and without him I doubt we would have won the league and for that I would give him a chance.

Its a tough call for Shebby, i'm glad i'm not making the decision.

What is it with people going too far with things? It's not enough to get Schuster they want Salgado as number two, it's not enough to get Shearer, they want Newell as number two. Just calm down and listen to yourselves. Concentrate on getting a decent manager first before getting yourself worked up over some kind of dream team backroom staff setup of former stars. We are starting to sound like Newcastle fans.

And to anybody who says it's OK to entertain the idea and does no harm, this place is pessimistic enough and if the person who comes in isn't exactly who they want it'll all be doom and gloom, even if that person they wanted was somebody not even mentioned outside of this thread or outside of their empty noggin, and it'll be those people who don't give the new guy a fair crack of the whip and start the doom and gloom early if we don't set of at a frantic pace towards promotion from the very first kick of the ball. Because that's what people on here are like, and it's contageous.

We've got people on here saying 'I'd support x fully, unlike y and z'. How's about for once we try and get everybody behind the team and manager for once. I didn't expect people to get behind the last manager (I was more concerned about them getting behind the team) but I'm certainly hoping whoever comes in gets support. Sometimes it doesn't start perfect but it certainly doesn't have to end that way. Our fans just seem to have no perseverence at all.

I think the bint in Pune is about to find out exactly what kind of low life coco really is, hope she has learned a lesson

Its a tough call for Shebby, i'm glad i'm not making the decision.

Lets face it this is the real problem, Singh isn't qualified to pick a manager for the football club, and we don't have anyone else to carry out that role.

I can just see it now, the 2 confused brothers and Singh wading through championship manager 2012 looking at the managerial stats and finally coming out with........Eric black, easy optiona and cheap, job done.....

Shearer is many things, already discussed to death. Bottom line it would be bloody exciting to have a club legend manage the club

I agree. It would be quite terrifying because we would have no idea if he could pull it off, but it would be bloody exciting at the time. Imagine Shearer walking out for the first time? It would be electric.

Obviously that wouldn't last very long if he was useless, but if he could manage it then it could give the club the image boost it needs.

I think Singh talks a lot of sense and he has a decent Network. He seems like hiring him is one of the few positives Venkys have done so far in their tenure.

Can't agree, this man is a football pundit, has less experience than the likes of Merson, Champagne Charlie and Tony Cottee and he's going to pick our next manager :wacko:

Oh well......

Can't agree, this man is a football pundit, has less experience than the likes of Merson, Champagne Charlie and Tony Cottee and he's going to pick our next manager :wacko:

Oh well......

Maybe that will work in our favour as he will/might pick a big name to be our next manager

Archived