BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Sheffield Wednesday Preview

Blackburn Rovers v Sheffield Wednesday - 24 Oct 2012 7:45pm

This will be my first return to Ewood park this season (post-Keangate), after renewing my season ticket just a week ago. More notably, it's now almost four weeks since we parted ways with Kean and if someone would've told me back then, that we'd be still playing under a caretaker manager... I'd be quite baffled indeed.

Anyway, onwards and upwards(speaking both physically and metaphorically...hopefully!), putting the sour taste that the weekend game left at Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds United, what we have here is two sides with between them, some great Footballing heritage and whom we know can produce a really decent game of football.

Club Heritage and history:

Sheffield Wednesday AKA The Owls are now competing in the Football League Championship, following automatic promotion from League One last season. Wednesday are one of the oldest professional clubs in the world and the fifth oldest in the English league. They won the second ever football competition held, the Cromwell Cup, which remains in their possession. The Wednesday, as they were named until 1929, were founding members of The Football Alliance in 1889, and its first champions that inaugural season. The Wednesday joined The Football League three years later when the leagues merged. Sheffield Wednesday were also one of the founding members of The Premier League n 1992.

Results

All 3 of the most recent encounters between these two sides have been in the League Cup. Most recently last season at Ewood Park. Blackburn Rovers came out as comfortable 3-1 winners with David Goodwillie and Ruben Rochina on the score-sheet that day. The last league game these two teams met was back in the 2000/2001 season in League Division One with rovers the comfortable 2 – 0 winners on that day.

Rovers themselves have had an average home run of late, winning and losing 3 each of the last six games.

Wednesdays are on a bit of a downward slide, and certainly their away form is pretty poor of recent; they are without a win in previous 6 away matches and without a win 9 most recent games.

Players

There's a few links between both clubs. The most recent has to be our former towering defender, Martin (Tiny) Taylor, whom began his career here at Ewood. Taylor was signed as a schoolboy at the age of 17 and went on to make 124 appearances for us.

Going back a few years, former Rover's defender, midfielder (or even makeshift striker) Paul Warhurst signed for us from Wednesday. Warhurst for £2.7 million back in '93 and went on to be part of the Championship winning side of 1995/1996 season.

Supporters

Sheffield Wednesday has always enjoyed an excellent turnout of supporters despite recent underachievement on the pitch, however match day attendances dropped slightly for the 2010/2011 season. Despite this, attendance was still high compared to other League One clubs, and even surpassed some Championship and Premier League clubs .

Records

Most goals scored in a Football League season: 1958–59 (Division 2)

Record Football League points total (3 points for a win) 2011–12 (League 1)

Record Football League points total (2 points for a win) 1958–59 (Division 2)

Highest goalscorer in a Football League season Derek Dooley Division 2, 1951–52

Highest Fee Paid Paolo Di Canio from Celtic 6 August 1997 £5.7m

My Predictions

3-1 Rovers – We should easily and comfortably win this game, we have a very good advantage over Sheffield Wednesday from the results over recent years and with all that's going on 'off field' and all the who's in speculation, I would hope a good and solid performance is needed for good confidence building. I'm being optimistic as always, but there's no reason we can't have a good go at this game and keep it simple.

Robin S.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first footsteps in Ewood Park for about 12 months, excepting the Wigan home game.

I do not know what sort of atmosphere pervades at Boll-Ewood these days.....I hope that the fans are 100% behind the Team, and 100% stuffing it up those horrid Venky people.

As for the score goodness knows.....I have been to a few away games this season and the Rovers, along with largely unmotivated gutless players, have been very poor.

I hope that PNE Agnew, PNE Degsey and that clown Shaggy have some decent earplugs.

COYB

strange not fancying your own team?

Firstly my post was sarcastic because the mighty promotion candidates Wednesday are coming to Blackburn (see my signature).

Secondly, even if I did think the other team were going to win, how would that be strange? Obviously you are insinuating that by saying the other team may win I'm somehow less of a fan. I disagree with this sentiment.

1-1 concede late on and drop 3 vital points again!!

Surely that's only dropping 2 points? [but I know what you mean - it'll certainly feel like dropping three points.]

I guess that the outcome of tomorrow night's game will depend on whether someone actually gets the Manager's job tomorrow. Assuming that they do and, whoever is appointed wants to make a good impression, I think we'll win.

If we're still in limbo awaiting an appointment, I fear the best we can hope for is a draw.

Good preview, btw.

Surely that's only dropping 2 points? [but I know what you mean - it'll certainly feel like dropping three points.]

I guess that the outcome of tomorrow night's game will depend on whether someone actually gets the Manager's job tomorrow. Assuming that they do and, whoever is appointed wants to make a good impression, I think we'll win.

If we're still in limbo awaiting an appointment, I fear the best we can hope for is a draw.

Good preview, btw.

I can't see it happening before tomorrow, personally. Plus - what with the supporters meeting and general consensus, I think its going to have delayed things even further.

Rovers4good doesn't get these wrong. No Murphy again. I'm not suprised really. Should be playing Gomes though.

The same time he said Samba was playing and was at training when he was in fact on strike. I remember at the time people slating me when I said he was on strike.

Joking aside, if that is the team it looks like a 4-5-1 to me.

Can anyone confirm whether the whole darwen end has been sold to them?

Someone asked the club this on twitter, and the response they got was that it was originally allocated based on attendance trends as it was believed they would bring quite a few more than they actually will. They are a well supported club but I can't see them bringing more than 3,000 for a night match.Spoke to a mate at Uni who is an owls fan earlier and he didn't think they'd be bringing too many. I'm not sure why but I believe they will be giving Blackpool the whole Darwen End as well...

Can anyone confirm whether the whole darwen end has been sold to them?

They only took 2k to burnley so there not even gonna fill the lower what a shambles sums the club up atm

BRFC_Logo1_normal.jpg

These matches were picked prior to the start of the season and were made based on attendance trends.

First venture to Ewood this season along with Preston Blue.

I cant say that I am looking forward to it. went to Forest and we were shockingly unfit and nothing appears to have changed fitness wise.

Wednesday havent won in 9 ! Guess what Ewood next and what will happen ? Rovers fitness elvels tell again and we concede 2 in the last 15.

1-2

Archived