BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

Nobody can doubt that in terms of experience and steadying the ship and for playing entertaining football that Holloway is not the best man for the job. Of all the candidates, he is the one who provides the least risk and with Venky's and Shebby the idiot running the show, we could all do with a low-risk option.

He could fail, he could take us up but at least you know the team will fight all the way.

Shebby Singh is a bigger travesty to this football club than Steve Kean ever was and time will prove this to be the case.

I disagree - my worry is that Holloway found his niche at Blackpool and will struggle to recreate it at Rovers. His approach at Blackpool at times is erratic - and even after everything he has achieved at Blackpool - he still manages to raise the eyebrows of the supporters with some of his decisions.

Every manager we appoint is a gamble - even Redknapp - how would the fans have reacted if we had lost a few matches - "oh he is just here for his final pay day" "old and past it" - sounds familiar doesn't it ?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, as a Holloway supporter, answer my post from earlier....

I've had no takers and yet still keep seeing people implying we are missing out on some managerial genius by not appointing him.

I agree with what you say and don't see the fascination with him either....his reckless attacking football would work in this league but not in the prem.

He got a club promoted with limited resources but so did Coyle.....and Roy Keane has won this league......on the whole, his managerial career is average at best.

I would prefer to appoint an experienced foreign manager who has no experience in England than Holloway.......apart from Sven.

According to Shebby, yes. He already came out saying that he had never and will not interfere in team selection, and that the manager will have his 100% support. That remains his view even today.

are you shebbys lovechild ?

Shebby is as big a parasite and Charlatan as Steve Kean the sooner he is out the club the better all what comes out shebbys mouth is BS anyone who has been taken in by Shebby is as big a fool IMO

a two bob player from a tin pot league the footballing equivalent of Darwen a poor pundit in an area which is a footballing non entity the guy is totally under qualified and so out his depth it is unreal.....what wage is he taking from Rovers ? a nice chunk I bet for being as hopeless as Kean was...

I will answer that in two ways. First it was 10 years ago. Are you the same as you were 10 years ago?

Second, people make mistakes in life. I expect Holloway has learnt from them - which is why he is described as "experienced". Alternatively we could bring in a young, novice manager who has yet to make his mistakes and will make them with us.

Have you learned nothing in the last painful 2 years?

Relegating QPR was 10 years ago, he got Leicester relegated 4 years ago.

But there have been other managers with better records statically speaking who have been dismissed by the fans as not good enough despite having a better record than Holloway and I get the feeling some people are pretending his career started at Blackpool.

Like I say, take away the amusing interviews and the pretty (but ultimately self destructive) playing style and no one here would want him.

Berg the relative novice has in fact over 300 games in British football 100 international caps and over 200 games experience as a manager which is more than Shearer Sherwood Mckinlay Solksjaer Robinson and Poyet , i think he deserves some respect and will certainly get my backing regardless of whether he's my preferred choice

I think True Blue and White's point was that Holloway has not really learned much from his mistakes, particularly if recent results are anything to go by. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Holloway but I like Berg as well and don't think it will be a big loss if he takes over. Of course you'll disagree with me so we'll agree to disagree on that.

With that defense of Blackpools? Yes try batoning down the hatches in the premier league. You'd not keep and clean sheet and you wouldn't score.

So who's left.

Karl Robinson

Henning berg

Mick mccarthy

Michael appleton

Paul jewell

Garry flitcroft

Bernd schuster

Other than schustet none are qualified to be taking the reigns of ewood. Hardly going to get bums on seat. Allot now depends, imo fans could be exiled for good here.

Hollaeay, isnt clever of tactfully enough for ewood. We need a footballing personality to rocket our lazy players.

Schuster is perfect. La liga winner. I rest my case

Over to you shabby

Relegating QPR was 10 years ago, he got Leicester relegated 4 years ago.

But there have been other managers with better records statically speaking who have been dismissed by the fans as not good enough despite having a better record than Holloway and I get the feeling some people are pretending his career started at Blackpool.

Like I say, take away the amusing interviews and the pretty (but ultimately self destructive) playing style and no one here would want him.

He relegated QPR did he? He was in charge for half a season.

As I posted on twitter. NRK who are a Norweigan TV channel are sending a crew across tomorrow to interview Rovers officials and fans RE the 'impending managerial announcement' (their words not mine). They obviously think Berg is a very serious contender to be sending a TV crew across. Apparently is big news story in Norway.

With that defense of Blackpools? Yes try batoning down the hatches in the premier league. You'd not keep and clean sheet and you wouldn't score.

You are making the mistake that I said above, you are pretending Holloway's career started at Blackpool 2 years ago. It didn't, look at his WHOLE career.

So he's done quite well on a shoe string budget, that's commendable but Rovers aren't really in that position. We spent £8m on Jordan Rhodes for example and are currently one of the richest clubs in the Championship (albeit thanks to parachute payments) so I don't see how his ability to work without cash would be advantageous to us. How he is tactically, how is he dealing the pressure of a fan base who are expecting promotion?

Who would have been better that you know for definite would have come. Many of the high profile foreign managers linked with the post had no championship experience so would have been a gamble. Though I wouldn't have said no - I have my doubts about Holloway. Berg ticks lots of boxes - though is obviously a gamble as he is a relative novice. However - unlike the previous no1 choice - he does have management experience

I can't answer that for definite I'm not sure many could but I would have preferred, Mick McCarthy for his no nonsense approach and experience of this league, OGS although he is as much a gamble has a better record, Holloway because he is a good man manager and I feel our players need a bit of confidence to bring out their best.

There really isn't a stand out candidate who would have definitely come and every manager has had highs and lows of their career but I feel some are less of a gamble than others, Berg IMO would be a better appointment than Shearer, Sherwood or Mckinlay because of his experience but if you really want to succeed you have to pony up the big bucks, if you are willing to pay 8 million on a young lad and 40 g a week I don't understand why you would'nt pay the big bucks to manage him.

Money talks, always has.

I disagree - my worry is that Holloway found his niche at Blackpool and will struggle to recreate it at Rovers. His approach at Blackpool at times is erratic - and even after everything he has achieved at Blackpool - he still manages to raise the eyebrows of the supporters with some of his decisions.

Every manager we appoint is a gamble - even Redknapp - how would the fans have reacted if we had lost a few matches - "oh he is just here for his final pay day" "old and past it" - sounds familiar doesn't it ?

Got to disagree with you there DMTP. You have to look at the squad Holloway has at Blackpool. It's pretty poor yet Blackpool are still going to be in the promotion shake-up according to the bookies and that is because of the manager. I feel he gets unfair press coverage because he is so honest and slightly erratic and that makes him out to be stupid, which he certainly isn't.

Over the last three seasons, you cannot doubt his track record. He got one of the poorest squads in the Championship promoted and then nearly kept almost the exact same squad there and would have barring some shocking refereeing decisions. The year after, even though he had lost many players in this same 'poor' team, he almost got them promoted again. He's done all of this with his hands tied behind his back.

He has shown over the last few years that he has learned from his mistakes at Leicester and deserves a crack with a better squad of players.

You are making the mistake that I said above, you are pretending Holloway's career started at Blackpool 2 years ago. It didn't, look at his WHOLE career.

So he's done quite well on a shoe string budget, that's commendable but Rovers aren't really in that position. We spent £8m on Jordan Rhodes for example and are currently one of the richest clubs in the Championship (albeit thanks to parachute payments) so I don't see how his ability to work without cash would be advantageous to us. How he is tactically, how is he dealing the pressure of a fan base who are expecting promotion?

He's had one blot on his managerial record, regarding his ability. That's Leicester. All I'm saying is stick to the facts and he's a decent manager. I'd much prefer someone who has plenty of experience and ups and downs than someone who is at the start of his career as a manager.

Got to disagree with you there DMTP. You have to look at the squad Holloway has at Blackpool. It's pretty poor yet Blackpool are still going to be in the promotion shake-up according to the bookies and that is because of the manager. I feel he gets unfair press coverage because he is so honest and slightly erratic and that makes him out to be stupid, which he certainly isn't.

Over the last three seasons, you cannot doubt his track record. He got one of the poorest squads in the Championship promoted and then nearly kept almost the exact same squad there and would have barring some shocking refereeing decisions. The year after, even though he had lost many players in this same 'poor' team, he almost got them promoted again. He's done all of this with his hands tied behind his back.

He has shown over the last few years that he has learned from his mistakes at Leicester and deserves a crack with a better squad of players.

Let's also not forget he has no resources to draw on at Blackpool, from transfer funds to even rudimentary training facilities.

So by your logic it was Ince and not Big Sam that saved us from relegation in 2008/2009?

So by your logic if we'd have gone down it was Big Sam's fault and not Ince's?

He got one of the poorest squads in the Championship promoted and then nearly kept almost the exact same squad there and would have barring some shocking refereeing decisions.

Sorry but this is just untrue. Half of his squad ended up being bought by other Prem clubs after they were relegated which doesn't happen if your squad is poor.

So by your logic if we'd have gone down it was Big Sam's fault and not Ince's?

They would share responsibility, but I would place slightly more blame on Sam mainly because he would be in charge for the crunch games. Hence why you cannot just dismiss Holloway taking QPR down, he was appointed with the sole mission to avoid relegation, he failed.

So by your logic it was Ince and not Big Sam that saved us from relegation in 2008/2009?

I'm surprised you keep trying to pick holes in what people are saying given that you embarrassed yourself trying to be smart about Eric Black yesterday. You still haven't explained how you thought he joined the club last month.

They would share responsibility, but I would place slightly more blame on Sam mainly because he would be in charge for the crunch games. Hence why you cannot just dismiss Holloway taking QPR down, he was appointed with the sole mission to avoid relegation, he failed.

I think you've just told everyone what you need to know there. What flawed logic.

If a man can't plug up the holes in a sinking ship full of kids he's a child killer. Yes alright.

Sorry but this is just untrue. Half of his squad ended up being bought by other Prem clubs after they were relegated which doesn't happen if your squad is poor.

Half is being a bit generous.

Also that handful of players haven't exactly set the world alight at their new clubs have they?

It's all relative TB&W. Maybe there were parts of that team that were ok but i'm talking about the sum of all parts.

Football is all about opinions - living in Blackpool I obviously keep up to date with the club and fans. It is also them that doubt his ability to recreate his Blackpool success elsewhere. The squad he has now - and the squad he had previously was nowhere near as bad as people made out - all because they weren't household names at the time doesn't mean they are poor players.

Don't get me wrong - if he is appointed I won't be disappointed and will think it a reasonable appointment - I just don't think he comes with a guarantee of success any more than most of the names that have been mentioned.

It sounds like the search is coming to an end.

A lot of people are starting to sound like they have convinced themselves that they are too good to go back to Ewood unless Venky's deliver some miracle manager.

Beggars can't be choosers, and as a fan base we where all on our knees begging for Kean to be sacked for 18 months, If Berg gets the job, he gets my support. Just hope the majority feel the same.

You can pick faults with just about any manager we have been linked with in the last month, so when the appointment finally comes, lets just get behind him eh, whether the manager is your preferred choice or not.

As I posted on twitter. NRK who are a Norweigan TV channel are sending a crew across tomorrow to interview Rovers officials and fans RE the 'impending managerial announcement' (their words not mine). They obviously think Berg is a very serious contender to be sending a TV crew across. Apparently is big news story in Norway.

Maybe they are just really interested in t'rovers ;)

Football is all about opinions - living in Blackpool I obviously keep up to date with the club and fans. It is also them that doubt his ability to recreate his Blackpool success elsewhere. The squad he has now - and the squad he had previously was nowhere near as bad as people made out - all because they weren't household names at the time doesn't mean they are poor players.

Don't get me wrong - if he is appointed I won't be disappointed and will think it a reasonable appointment - I just don't think he comes with a guarantee of success any more than most of the names that have been mentioned.

I know a few Blackpool fans who regard him as God for what he's done for that club. Any of those who don't, remind them of the days before him and Grayson. If they carry on spouting drivel, then they are idiots plain and simple. Without him they will sink without trace.

Archived