BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

Any norwegians on here - Lyn or Lillestrøm fans preferably.

Whats your take on Berg?

My thoughts of him as a manager are very low -based om statistics.

Henning Berg is a very professional manager with strong opinions, really hates to lose, and demands 110% from everyone around him. If Singh and Venkys wants to appoint a "yes man", then Berg will never ever get the job.

When Henning was managing Lyn and Lillestrøm, he was very good with younger players. Both clubs made big money on the players he brought in and then sold (ie John Obi Mikel to Chelsea, Anthony Ujah to Mainz, Nosa Igiebor to Hapoel Tel Aviv, Bjørn Helge Riise to Fulham - and Lillestrøm recently sold Bergmann Sigurdasson to Wolves, which Henning Berg bought)

He brought Lyn to 3rd place, a great achievement. Lillestrøm was an economic unstable club when he arrived, he was able to reduce the wagebill with 50%, but was also forced to sell his best players, resulting in disappointing 11th and 12th place in the league.

He was sacked from Lillestrøm because of his demanding leadership-style, which got him into a conflict with some of the players and the leader of the board.

As I said earlier, Berg has a strong personality and if he is to be appointed, I don't think he will let anyone interfere in his work.

I'm not sure of his connections, but he seemed to find many good, talented players from Nigeria.

Althoug he was a solid defender, he tried to get his teams to play an attacking, passing style of football.

It's a bit of a gamble, but not the worst we could do I suppose.

Edit: And for those who are mentioning Solskjær - it's not going to happen.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever the new guy is when he comes in will he be working with one hand tied behind his back.

We have to accept that fact whilst Venkys own the club, there's no getting away from it until a change of ownership so we've just got to get on with it :(

Henning Berg's managerial career is not exactly what you would call impressive, if he has'nt covered himself in glory in his home country why would he do so much better here?

I'll give him a chance but if I was choosing a manager I would'nt be willing to chance my own career on such a big gamble.

I never expected any common sense from the loons from Pune on a managerial selection but a lot of people will have been expecting better.

Henning Berg's managerial career is not exactly what you would call impressive, if he has'nt covered himself in glory in his home country why would he do so much better here?

I'll give him a chance but if I was choosing a manager I would'nt be willing to chance my own career on such a big gamble.

I never expected any common sense from the loons from Pune on a managerial selection but a lot of people will have been expecting better.

he cant be as bad as that tawt kean,can he.

Most of the managers on the list have not covered themselves in glory, with the exception of Solskjaer and Schuster. Everyone else, even Rednapp, hasn't exactly won titles. Unless you're talking about McCarthy, who won the Championship twice. But you've got to include Roy Keane if you want people with that sort of glory.

Whoever is appointed, could BRAG (Glen/Mark etc) directly ask Shebby; Does the new manager have COMPLETE say in team selection and transfers?

According to Shebby, yes. He already came out saying that he had never and will not interfere in team selection, and that the manager will have his 100% support. That remains his view even today.

We have to accept that fact whilst Venkys own the club, there's no getting away from it until a change of ownership so we've just got to get on with it :(

That doesnt mean to say that any supporter has to accept this though regardless.

I guess we are due to be put out of (one kind of) misery tomorrow - because Singh has committed - but I can't hep thinking we will come to regret not going all out for the other Ollie come May.

Please, as a Holloway supporter, answer my post from earlier....

Why?

Can someone please explain to me why Holloway is so great, I just don't see it. Yes he's a funny guy, yes the media like him but that's it.

Can someone please explain the love for Holloway using football reasons that couldn't also be said about many other managers who have been dismissed as not good enough. For example, using footballing reasons only, why is Holloway any better than Alex McLeish?

I really think too many people are falling for Holloway's comedy routine and somehow thinking he's some kind of Brian Clough character, he isn't! People are keen to talk about him getting Blackpool promoted a few years ago but forget he also relegated them through his tactical ineptitude and refusal to change from his gung-ho style. Other managerial cock ups include...

*Relegated QPR to the third tier for the first time in 34 years (took him another 3 years to get back up to the Championship).

*Screwed over Plymouth Argyll by jumping ship after barely 14 months in the job and after selling all their best players in the transfer window.

*Got Leicester City Relegated from the Championship in his first season there, winning just 9 matches out of 32.

*Got Blackpool fined for fielding a weakened team despite being given ample warnings not to before relegating them after refusing to defend leads that would have seen them safe.

Seriously guys, what are you lot seeing that I'm missing? He's relegated more teams from the Championship than he's promoted them from it.

Had Blackpool not gotten the positive media spin they did and had Holloway not become a favourite of Soccer AM no one here would be interested and his name would meet the same kind of derision the likes of Flitcroft, McLeish and Grayson are getting.

I've had no takers and yet still keep seeing people implying we are missing out on some managerial genius by not appointing him.

• Backroom

I'd back Berg 100% if he got the job, but if it is him who's chosen then it is simply shocking that it has taken 5 weeks to appoint him.

I just keep thinking, it could be worse, it was very nearly Billy McKinlay.

On the other hand if Holloway fails to get Blackpool promoted, you'll probably can't help thinking we have dodged a bullet.

Maybe if I didn't understand how that expression works.

Doesn't have to get Blackpool promoted to put a spanner in our plans either.

I've had no takers and yet still keep seeing people implying we are missing out on some managerial genius by not appointing him.

I kind of agree with you. I think it's premature to think that Holloway will certainly get us or Blackpool promoted. Perhaps he might, but it is also possible that he might not.

Who would have been better that you know for definite would have come. Many of the high profile foreign managers linked with the post had no championship experience so would have been a gamble. Though I wouldn't have said no - I have my doubts about Holloway. Berg ticks lots of boxes - though is obviously a gamble as he is a relative novice. However - unlike the previous no1 choice - he does have management experience

Nobody can doubt that in terms of experience and steadying the ship and for playing entertaining football that Holloway is not the best man for the job. Of all the candidates, he is the one who provides the least risk and with Venky's and Shebby the idiot running the show, we could all do with a low-risk option.

He could fail, he could take us up but at least you know the team will fight all the way.

Shebby Singh is a bigger travesty to this football club than Steve Kean ever was and time will prove this to be the case.

Do we know IF Shaw and Singh agree on a manager, we then need approval off the 3 highly intellectual, movers and shakers in Pune?

Could we potentially be in a situation where the idiots in Pune knock the manager back?

Every chance. Should this million and one shot come off though I'd imagine that the new manager will still have to fly to Pune with his wife to meet Mrs D. If that goes well then just one more obstacle. A fake TV studio and some hard questions. Obviously the last thing the Venky's want is someone who does a crap presser.

I will answer that in two ways. First it was 10 years ago. Are you the same as you were 10 years ago?

Second, people make mistakes in life. I expect Holloway has learnt from them - which is why he is described as "experienced". Alternatively we could bring in a young, novice manager who has yet to make his mistakes and will make them with us.

Have you learned nothing in the last painful 2 years?

People make mistakes in life. I expect Holloway has learnt from them - which is why he is described as "experienced". Alternatively we could bring in a young, novice manager who has yet to make his mistakes and will make them with us.

I think True Blue and White's point was that Holloway has not really learned much from his mistakes, particularly if recent results are anything to go by. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Holloway but I like Berg as well and don't think it will be a big loss if he takes over. Of course you'll disagree with me so we'll agree to disagree on that.

I would actually be a bit excited if Berg gets the appointment. I think he would do well.

Tactically I don't know where he stands. But he is the type of character we need. Honest, makes the players give 100%, smart and a good coach, wealth of experience (knows the English game) good with people etc.

Several posters pointed out the flaws in your argument the first time you attempted it. I wrote a detailed post about why you were wrong and I'm not going to waste the time doing it again. Especially as you completely ignored what was said the first time.

In summary if you really can't accept Ian Holloway's achievements in the game with very little money then there's no hope for you at all. Mick McCarthy spent far more money at Wolves. He paid our six fingered friends £7m to buy their striker and try to keep Wolves in the PL and they were still rubbish. I still wouldn't knock MM as I'd take him over Berg, or any other inexperienced candidate any day. Very foolish to write off Holloway though.

Archived