BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley v Rovers 2nd December 2012

Kelbo

Define "rivals"? For more than a lifetime for many fans, they've been nothing of the sort - a far inferior team that we hardly ever meet and have seen humiliation when they have done more than anything approaching parity.

For many fans why should they give them more than a passing thought as anything other than an annoyance. They are a bunch of midges swirling round your head on a late summer's evening once every few years. Nothing more.

I know I said I wouldn't be on but I came by to share some good news with you. I'm hearing that Mason is the ref. He's worse than useless and as a rule in our games he seems to send one of ours off/deny us a clear penalty/give a didgy penalty against us - even all three is possible. I saw this post and it made me wonder - for the Jack Walker/PL generation, who exactly do you think are your rivals? Which set of fans cares one way or the other about Rovers? Honest question.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2113725656&page=1

I know I said I wouldn't be on but I came by to share some good news with you. I'm hearing that Mason is the ref. He's worse than useless and as a rule in our games he seems to send one of ours off/deny us a clear penalty/give a didgy penalty against us - even all three is possible. I saw this post and it made me wonder - for the Jack Walker/PL generation, who exactly do you think are your rivals? Which set of fans cares one way or the other about Rovers? Honest question.

Burnley, certainly. And I'm of the 'Premiership generation', apparently.

I was born in 1992 and Burnley by a country mile. I think Burnley perhaps care a bit more due to the fact they haven't been beating us and have been beneath us for some time, but it's pretty much 50-50

The Jack/PL thing wasn't a dig, just a fact that pretty much all your fans under say 30 have never known anything but a Rovers that benefited from Jack and have spent most of the seasons watching Rovers in the top flight. I can see why some might argue Burnley are not rivals but I can't see who they would then see as rivals.

The Jack/PL thing wasn't a dig, just a fact that pretty much all your fans under say 30 have never known anything but a Rovers that benefited from Jack and have spent most of the seasons watching Rovers in the top flight. I can see why some might argue Burnley are not rivals but I can't see who they would then see as rivals.

I took no offence, don't worry. It was actually with reference to Fowl Play, who I figured you were quoting when you referred to it. I'm still here after two relegations with as much passion so I'm not convinced of it being a Premiership generation as such. But I do understand the point.

Still though, definitely Burnley. There are no other fixtures (taking aside individual games where the result will have an impact on cup or league success/failure in an extreme manner) that make me feel physically sick with nerves and gets my heart pumping with sheer exhilaration the fortnight prior to kickoff.

Think you have a good point there in that perhaps the game means more to my old boy generation who went in the 80s than it does to the 'premiership' generation?

I disagree. It has nothing to do with this. It has everything to do with the draconian restrictions in place in terms of getting there and the restrictions on tickets. I work with a burnley fan and we both agree that the draconian restrictions have killed this fixture.

In reply to your point, many who went in the late 70s and 80s when you could actually make your own way to burnley, without being vetted, wont be going on Sunday because they cannot be bothered with the arrangements.

Despite the hassle, and when it sinks in that the game isn't on tv, I think a lot of rovers fans will decide to go at the last minute, because they will suddenly remember its burnley away! However, such is the Stalinist measures in place, tickets are no longer on sale after weds!! Why?! When have tickets ever been taken off sale 4 days before a game?

It's never been Burnley for me. Although I was born in Blackburn we moved to Rochdale in Greater Manchester when I was five. I first started watching Rovers in the early 1960's. Most of my pals were either City or Utd, only one Burnley. Even then I wanted to beat the red rats more than Burnley. City were a bit like us, up and down, Utd and their arrogant fans always wound me up. Given the choice, beating Burnley or United, it's no choice. Maybe if I lived nearer to the area I'd feel differently but I don't.

. I saw this post and it made me wonder - for the Jack Walker/PL generation, who exactly do you think are your rivals? Which set of fans cares one way or the other about Rovers? Honest question.

That's a nonsense point made by that poster. Our rivals are burnley, regardless of age or generation. It's a completely flawed point anyway. We stopped playing competitive games against burnley in the early 80s. Started again in 2000, followed by 2005 and 2009. So there is an argument the 'premiership' generation have seen more competetive derbies than his 80s generation.

I think most of the measures for the match are too over the top. I went to the derbies in 2000/2001, and I have not ever seen as many police as I did when I went to turf moor that year, I almost feel that it was warrnated then since it was the first time in a long time and there was so much hype etc generated over that turf moor fixture which was definately a feisty night, but things seem to have mellowed since then. Although its definately abig fixture for me I feel indifferent about going. My first instinct is to go, but these early kick offs are sometimes a bit too sterile and then I assumed that tickets would be sold out to season ticket holders and regular away travelers so I never made any plans, now that I find out that there tickets left and I can buy one, I could just about alter my plans before wednesday to make sure I would be free to go, but then I live in west yorkshire, so I would have to drive to Blackburn through Burnley then pay to get the offical coach back to Burnley and vise vers to get back home, which makes it a long expensive tedious morning for what could be a sterile match. I think I'd rather follow it closely on the radio or watch it on tv somewhere.

I disagree. It has nothing to do with this. It has everything to do with the draconian restrictions in place in terms of getting there and the restrictions on tickets. I work with a burnley fan and we both agree that the draconian restrictions have killed this fixture.

In reply to your point, many who went in the late 70s and 80s when you could actually make your own way to burnley, without being vetted, wont be going on Sunday because they cannot be bothered with the arrangements.

Despite the hassle, and when it sinks in that the game isn't on tv, I think a lot of rovers fans will decide to go at the last minute, because they will suddenly remember its burnley away! However, such is the Stalinist measures in place, tickets are no longer on sale after weds!! Why?! When have tickets ever been taken off sale 4 days before a game?

Fair comment and I know older people myself who don't fancy all the restrictions and waiting, etc.

I wasn't saying it was definitely the case that all younger fans don't have the same perception of the dingles as old gits like me, rather just asking the question (and I would add that I wasn't having a pop at younger Rovers fans).

I would maintain, however, that it is a valid question to ask to - to what degree, if any, has the traditional negative passion dwindled towards a team that we hardly ever played in the last 30 years or so?

As with most things, it probably isn't black and white - there probably are fans who loathe our local rivals but, as you say, just don't want to be subject to the restrictions/waiting and there probably are also Rovers fans who just, be it because of unfamiliarity or whatever, just don't buy into the rivalry thing in the same way as in times gones by.

Rivals probably isn't the best way to put it, due to the recent history, but there's no doubt that THE match is Burnley. I'm 21, and since I've been of an age when I was properly aware of and cared about Rovers (since we were last in the Championship) we've been mirrored with remarkable consistency by Bolton. Similar sized club as far as infrastructure/fanbase goes, very close geographically (considering other games which pass off as derbies) history of shared players and staff and usually fighting at similar ends of the table.

All that considered, we are playing this team on Wednesday, and frankly, I don't care. Could be anyone, just another match, and I'd happily lose 20-0 no questions asked if it meant we could sneak a jammy win in the proper derby on Sunday. I don't buy into the whole 'I'm a better fan than you' nonsense, people don't need to explain themselves why they choose to go or not go to a football match. All the same, I personally don't understand why people wouldn't want to, these matches are rare, most clubs don't have one that compares, so when they pop around all I can do is relish the occasion

I've said before, many people probably made other arrangements before the fixtures came out when it was obvious Kean was not being sacked any time soon. Not sure whether I'd have gone anyway but my daughter would probably have press ganged me into it, but I can't because I'm away for the weekend and i suspect there are many others who have agreed to do things they can't now back out of.

Define "rivals"? For more than a lifetime for many fans, they've been nothing of the sort - a far inferior team that we hardly ever meet and have seen humiliation when they have done more than anything approaching parity.

For many fans why should they give thiem more than a passing thought as anything other than an annoyance. They are a bunch of midges swirling round your head on a late summer's evening once every few years. Nothing more.

You can't change history, burnley are our rivals, always have been always will be, some of the posters on here would be well served remembering that.

Please don't tell me you subscribe to the theory our rivals are Man Utd......

Not on http://liveonsat.com/LJ___soccer_b_english_ALL.php at any channels, there's simply no one broadcasting it.

Strangely though, you can see Hastings play Harrogate the day before.

Oh how the mighty...

Glad to be going to this one, never been to Turf Moore before. Can anyone tell me when the buses are leaving from Ewood on the day, and the approximate time we will get back there? Will probably be staying at the Fernhurst on the Saturday, so any ideas where to get a pre-match/pre-breakfast pint is greatly appreciated.

Not on http://liveonsat.com...english_ALL.php at any channels, there's simply no one broadcasting it.

Strangely though, you can see Hastings play Harrogate the day before.

Oh how the mighty...

Glad to be going to this one, never been to Turf Moore before. Can anyone tell me when the buses are leaving from Ewood on the day, and the approximate time we will get back there? Will probably be staying at the Fernhurst on the Saturday, so any ideas where to get a pre-match/pre-breakfast pint is greatly appreciated.

I heard the coaches are leaving at 10am, but don't quote me on that, because I've also heard 10.30am mooted.

No idea on getting back I'm afraid, imagine we will be kept behind for 30-45 minutes afterwards whilst they clear the Dingles away.

I'm personally going to the Brown Cow because I'm on their coach - they open at 8am.

• Backroom

Last time I got in the ground and realised I left my glasses on the bus and could hardly see what was going on, to this day I still think Olsson was fouled :P

Oh and I can't be sure but I think I recall Abbey hugging me at one point - probably the real reason I'm not going back!

Last time we were kept behind for long enough for the Burnley players to come out near the Rovers coaches, so a fair while

Did they even need a shower after the last game? I mean Jensen to wipe his knees after the Roberts foul, and of course he'll have got a sweat on after picking the ball out the net, but other than that...

Did they even need a shower after the last game? I mean Jensen to wipe his knees after the Roberts foul, and of course he'll have got a sweat on after picking the ball out the net, but other than that...

To be honest, they looked a lot less bothered than they should have done. Probably reading too much into the body language of a couple of players, but if I was one of their fans I wouldn't of liked to see any of their players laughing and joking after losing the derby.

Archived