BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley v Rovers 2nd December 2012

Kelbo

Yeah you're not bothered at all are you? Can't help but think a few people are getting their defence in early, just in case you lose, you know a kind of 'well as I said before the game I really wasn't bothered about this game, I just want to be back playing our real rivals Manchester United'

Same old kean different derby from you, if we beat you like we usually do, you'll sod off for six months with that other idiot from the land that time forgot, here's hoping eh!

Why on what occasions is it compulsory to travel to Wembley on an organised coach?

If by some miracle they actually make the playoffs, it's not beyond the relms of possibility that we could meet in the final. If that happens fans could be forced to travel on official coaches or no ticket.

Hypothetical but a possibility.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We lost 2-0 at home that season. New Years Day, funny enough a few days after the last Christmas Day game we ever played at Blackpool

Did Mike England get sent off? a tangle with Andy Lochead? I have a vague memory of something like that happening but though I was taken to matches then I wasn't really that carried away unless for some reason the crowd went mad - i remember some bother when a cf called George Jones got sent off for us against Blackpool,

And, younger viewers, sendings off were bloody rare in those days - you more or less had to commit actual bodily harm on someone to get a booking (pre-cards).

Willie Morgan is another I vividly recall lining up for Burnley against us

I remember Mike England getting sent off at Burnley during the sixties. Andy Lochead was being his usual physical self ( if he'd have been a boxer he would have had a glove on his head ! ) England stood it for about an hour getting no help from the officials, after one more elbow to the side of the head he just lost it, retaliated, and got first chance at the bath water. I can't ever remember him getting into trouble with the officials before or after that, a lesson well learned. I think we lost that one 3-0, very poor performance, one of those games we were lucky to get nil.

I can imagine it now, Rovers v Burnley Championship play off final at Wembley.

Lancs plod would probably be having kittens, cancel all Police leave for a year, call in the army reserves and activate the whole bloody home guard whilst the MET just let it lie as a normal game in the London area !!!!

Burnley fans would travel down the M1 whilst Rovers travel down the M6, no stopping at services, no one allowed to make their own way, no alcohol on sale around Wembley way, an 8am kick off time etc etc etc !!!!!!

It could happen but probably wont. If Carlsberg can makes fans dreams come true then this is easily the biggest Championship Play Off final dream for every Burnley and Rovers fan.

Let it be....

Same old kean different derby from you, if we beat you like we usually do, you'll sod off for six months with that other idiot from the land that time forgot, here's hoping eh!

If by some miracle they actually make the playoffs, it's not beyond the relms of possibility that we could meet in the final. If that happens fans could be forced to travel on official coaches or no ticket.

Hypothetical but a possibility.

You know you'd miss me Gav, shame we can't meet up for a pint before this one really

Yeah you're not bothered at all are you? Can't help but think a few people are getting their defence in early, just in case you lose, you know a kind of 'well as I said before the game I really wasn't bothered about this game, I just want to be back playing our real rivals Manchester United'

Damn, I promised myself I was staying away and not biting to any of these posts.

So what was all that about Mason then Longsiders :xmas:

When Rovers were in decline in the late 1960s and early 1970s and we weren't at home a group of us often used to go to Turf Moor to see first division football (we supported the opposition of course). Burnley had the likes of O'Neill, Coates, Thomas, James, Hankin, Flynn, Waldron then - players in a different class to anything we had at Ewood. Remember some cracking matches against the great Leeds team in particular. Always enjoyed merry banter with Burnley fans but never understood the "hatred" thing and would always support Burnley and any Lancashire town club if they were playing a southern team.

My dad took me to see some of the same games: Revie's Leeds, Catterick's Everton. I remember being in awe of the Cricket Field stand

Going back a bit my best Burnley memory is the match at Turf moor in the 1965-66 relegation season. Rovers were in desperate straits and stuck Mike England up front as an emergency centre forward. Even though we were rubbish that season and heading for the second division we still managed to beat them with England scoring one of the goals if I remember. Duggie scored too I think. Great day and great atmosphere. Didn't go to the Ewood match v Burnley that season. Anyone know the result ?

We won 4-1 away-I know that doesn't answer your question!

We lost 0-2 at home from what I can remember, on a very wet pitch.

We won 4-1 away-I know that doesn't answer your question!

We lost 0-2 at home from what I can remember, on a very wet pitch.

Thanks for that. The performance at Turf Moor was Rovers' best in a terrible season. I remember the Rovers team coach followed us back to Blackburn - Dick Mulvaney was sitting at the front ! Happy days.

Big game. Three very important points at stake. Berg's biggest test to date. We need our players to focus and avoid the hype surrounding the game. Can we produce a disciplined and professional performance?

It is clear to me that we have improved under Berg, but points have been hard to come by and we need to start winning consistently. I feel our players are much better suited to playing on the break and am more confident about getting a result there than at home to Bolton.

Thanks for that. The performance at Turf Moor was Rovers' best in a terrible season. I remember the Rovers team coach followed us back to Blackburn - Dick Mulvaney was sitting at the front ! Happy days.

Jim------England played up front and got a hat-trick. Duggie got the other one I think.

In early 70's Burnley were streets ahead of us and, just like us, sold their best assets till they came back to the pack. One of their star players you missed out------mid-fielder,joined them straight from school, lived at Rishton, went on to play for England and, inevitably transferred to Everton.What was his name? They also had Newton! I went to see them play against Leeds the day the Bob Lord stand was opened. In fact I was in it! Cracking game, Burnley won after coming from behind as I remember it.

That would have been 1974 when we were making waves in the old 3rd Division and won promotion that year. I remember we played at Goodison in the FA Cup earlier in 1974 and lost 3-0 (was it?). We were embarrassingly outclassed and I remember leaving Goodison very downcast and thinking I would never see a top Rovers side again.

Jim------England played up front and got a hat-trick. Duggie got the other one I think.

In early 70's Burnley were streets ahead of us and, just like us, sold their best assets till they came back to the pack. One of their star players you missed out------mid-fielder,joined them straight from school, lived at Rishton, went on to play for England and, inevitably transferred to Everton.What was his name? They also had Newton! I went to see them play against Leeds the day the Bob Lord stand was opened. In fact I was in it! Cracking game, Burnley won after coming from behind as I remember it.

That would have been 1974 when we were making waves in the old 3rd Division and won promotion that year. I remember we played at Goodison in the FA Cup earlier in 1974 and lost 3-0 (was it?). We were embarrassingly outclassed and I remember leaving Goodison very downcast and thinking I would never see a top Rovers side again.

Was that Martin Dobson ? He was later than the Coates - Thomas - James era though. Sir Keith played for Burnley for 5 years - I forgive him though, probably my favourite all-time Rovers player.

1974 I saw Burnley lose 5-3 to West Ham at Turf Moor. Brooking was superb for Wham but that Burnley side was great to watch, especially Leighton James.

Was that Martin Dobson ? He was later than the Coates - Thomas - James era though. Sir Keith played for Burnley for 5 years - I forgive him though, probably my favourite all-time Rovers player.

1974 I saw Burnley lose 5-3 to West Ham at Turf Moor. Brooking was superb for Wham but that Burnley side was great to watch, especially Leighton James.

I was surprised when I looked at Wiki for Dobson's date of birth-I knew he went to Clitheroe Grammar-but was surprised he was born in1948-a very good year!-and it showed he was from Rishton.

He must have been before James but certainly after Coates.

Your memory playing tricks again, scorers were - England, Harrison, McEvoy and Douglas. The highlight of a terrible season, until last season the worst in my memory. The midfield player you refer to sounds like Martin Dobson, started out at Bolton but let go by them as a youth. So was Keith Newton- and Alan Ball. Obviously not very good judges of players at Burnden Park. Having said that they knew John Byrom wasn't finished.

When the coach got back to Blackburn, someone in the street asked the score-and wouldn't believe the answer!

I was playing amateur football at the time, when I got back into town we always went to a T.V. Rental shop that had Grandstand on in the shop window. When the score came up I couldn't believe it.

I'd had the same feeling a year or two earlier- F.A. Cup 5th Round , Oxford United 3, Blackburn Rovers 1. I thought- "they've got that the wrong way around " !

The players that got away - how could Bolton turn down Alan Ball, one of the best players to pull on an England shirt ?

Years ago, Rovers rejected Tommy Hutchison and Tony Green who both went on to play for Scotland (when they were good).

Mind you, all the Lancashire clubs missed Paul Mariner who went from Chorley to Plymouth.

And six years ago, Rochdale had an attack of Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt - what would we do to have those two now ?

Just been looking at " East Lancashire Derbies " by Dean Hayes ( it's crap , don't bother buying it ). Our team when we played Burnley away in 2000, 4-1-4-1 formation I presume.

Friedel

Curtis

Taylor

Berg

Bjornebye

Flitcroft

McAteer

Dunn

Hughes

Duff

Bent

Subs

Jansen for Hughes

Mahon for Duff

How many of our current side would get in that team ?

The players that got away - how could Bolton turn down Alan Ball, one of the best players to pull on an England shirt ?

Years ago, Rovers rejected Tommy Hutchison and Tony Green who both went on to play for Scotland (when they were good).

Mind you, all the Lancashire clubs missed Paul Mariner who went from Chorley to Plymouth.

And six years ago, Rochdale had an attack of Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt - what would we do to have those two now ?

Bolton decided Gordon Taylor was a better bet than Bally Jim, Gordon wasn't a bad player but, really ! So they let Bally go.

Tony Green and Tommy Hutch, two young Scots players that Rovers sniffed around for a while before letting Blackpool step in. Both came to Blackpool for a pittance and were sold on for big bucks. Both became great players. Tommy Hutch had this trick were he ran at the full back at top speed, appeared to almost overrun the ball but dragged it back into his stride with his trailing leg ! Did me every time and I was only watching from the stands ! Not a step over, it was better than that. I've never seen anybody else do it.

Glen Murray from Palace was at Rochdale around that time as was Will Buckley who's at Brighton now.

Archived