BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley v Rovers 2nd December 2012

Kelbo

The players that got away - how could Bolton turn down Alan Ball, one of the best players to pull on an England shirt ?

Years ago, Rovers rejected Tommy Hutchison and Tony Green who both went on to play for Scotland (when they were good).

Mind you, all the Lancashire clubs missed Paul Mariner who went from Chorley to Plymouth.

And six years ago, Rochdale had an attack of Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt - what would we do to have those two now ?

Bolton decided Gordon Taylor was a better bet than Bally Jim, Gordon wasn't a bad player but, really ! So they let Bally go.

Tony Green and Tommy Hutch, two young Scots players that Rovers sniffed around for a while before letting Blackpool step in. Both came to Blackpool for a pittance and were sold on for big bucks. Both became great players. Tommy Hutch had this trick were he ran at the full back at top speed, appeared to almost overrun the ball but dragged it back into his stride with his trailing leg ! Did me every time and I was only watching from the stands ! Not a step over, it was better than that. I've never seen anybody else do it.

Glen Murray from Palace was at Rochdale around that time as was Will Buckley who's at Brighton now.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been looking at " East Lancashire Derbies " by Dean Hayes ( it's crap , don't bother buying it ). Our team when we played Burnley away in 2000, 4-1-4-1 formation I presume.

Friedel

Curtis

Taylor

Berg

Bjornebye

Flitcroft

McAteer

Dunn

Hughes

Duff

Bent

Subs

Jansen for Hughes

Mahon for Duff

How many of our current side would get in that team ?

Hughes played upfront with Bent.

As it's getting tiresome now, did you not see the Birmingham game or something?

Because if you didn't then fine.

But if you did....

Yes, saw it. A few nice touches. But you get that from Formica. He seems to have the pace of Formica and he keeps the ball as long as Rochina. Could be good but he's certainly not shown anything special as yet.

Is a very dangerous ball played across the box called a "nice touch" now? To Dann? Lovely cross.....the kind that Rhodes will thrive on.

He also displayed excellent ball control, a good work ethic, guile and a willingness to drive forward and take players on.

A bit like his few appearances last season tbh.

I hate all these "scapegoat" or "the new Benni McCarthy" arguments people try and prove their points with.

We don't have a hive mentality and are adults or teenagers who are capable of making up their own mind.

We want him to play because he's good and we need a bit more quality in midfield.

He's not the new messiah.....just what looks like a very good player, especially in this league.

I was surprised when I looked at Wiki for Dobson's date of birth-I knew he went to Clitheroe Grammar-but was surprised he was born in1948-a very good year!-and it showed he was from Rishton.

He must have been before James but certainly after Coates.

He played for an Old Boys XI (cricket) against us in the first XI - CRGS, would have been about 1980. Not much cop at cricket, but as a Rovers fan I was chuffed to scatter his stumps.

Yep, a bit before James, 92er, but not much : I played cricket against James too. Pretty sure he played for Read, not a bad batsman.

• Backroom

Robinson only.

Even twelve years later at all those players current age Robinson wouldn't get in over Friedel

I imagine brad could be another ten years older than Robbo is now and still be more agile

Is a very dangerous ball played across the box called a "nice touch" now? To Dann? Lovely cross.....the kind that Rhodes will thrive on.

He also displayed excellent ball control, a good work ethic, guile and a willingness to drive forward and take players on.

A bit like his few appearances last season tbh.

I hate all these "scapegoat" or "the new Benni McCarthy" arguments people try and prove their points with.

We don't have a hive mentality and are adults or teenagers who are capable of making up their own mind.

We want him to play because he's good and we need a bit more quality in midfield.

He's not the new messiah.....just what looks like a very good player, especially in this league.

I'm not making a scapegoat out of him at all. I'd like to see him. It's just you really would think he was the new messiah if you read half the things on this message board. There could be numerous reasons why he's not playing. From the bench he's not done much at all and you can only have so many luxury players. Formica has been played recently because he's been in decent form and Simon will have to force his way into the team. I think tonight would be a good time to try him to see if he will be useful in the Burnley game at the weekend, otherwise I wouldn't want to give him a first start there. But if he doesn't get started tonight I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it. Reputation means nothing and so far he's not forced his way in. I don't even know much of his fitness levels and whether he could last 90 minutes playing in the role Berg would play him in. Nor do I know how good he is at tracking back and providing cover. I'd be more inclined to bring him on earlier, say after 60 minutes, to give him more time to prove himself. But then sometimes the game doesn't allow this to happen given how tight they can be.

Burnley have around 700 tickets remaining as of this morning. Looks as though it's heading for a complete sell out.

Although, if they don't quite manage it, it would be good to sing 'You couldn't sell all your tickets' at the dingles on sunday.

Was that Martin Dobson ? He was later than the Coates - Thomas - James era though. Sir Keith played for Burnley for 5 years - I forgive him though, probably my favourite all-time Rovers player.

1974 I saw Burnley lose 5-3 to West Ham at Turf Moor. Brooking was superb for Wham but that Burnley side was great to watch, especially Leighton James.

I went to that JIm. I remember Billy Jennings and Keith Robson tearing Burnley apart but was amazed at the class of Brooking

I too used to go on Turf Moor in those days. Leighton James was electrifying and Burnley were a really good side. Went on the game we won 4-1 at their place as well. I seem to remember we didn't actually play that well, but they couldn't handle Mike England.

Come on guys leavae the burney sentiment until its all over !!! This week is all aboiut hating the 6 fingered trolls rather than reminsicing about non Rovers visits to the dingledome. The only reminsicing we should be talking about is a 2-0 and 1-0 success in recent seasons as well as a 5-0 and 3-2 tupping at Ewood.

Am quite getting up for the football tonight and Sunday after what has gone before with Keanwit kean in charge.

Chim chimeny chim chim cheroo WE HATE THOSE KEANS IN CLARET AND POO !!

Archived