BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves vs Rovers

Makes you wonder if Simon, and to a lesser extent Rochina, have clauses that they get a nice pay cheque if they complete 90 minutes. Don't think either ever have? Certainly not Simon. It was sheer lunacy to take both off last night, they were our only outlets.

I can't vouch for his stats this season but last year he only completed 90mins once in 7 appearances (Sunderland away).

Ironically he scored after 17mins in that game.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't vouch for his stats this season but last year he only completed 90mins once in 7 appearances (Sunderland away).

Ironically he scored after 17mins in that game.

Balaji must have felt generous on the day of the Sunderland game! It's not like its even a case of fitness as he was looking absolutely fine when he was inexplicably brought off last night.

I'd wager Rochina hasn't completed more than 5 league games too.

Balaji must have felt generous on the day of the Sunderland game! It's not like its even a case of fitness as he was looking absolutely fine when he was inexplicably brought off last night.

I'd wager Rochina hasn't completed more than 5 league games too.

You would be correct.

He's completed 4 in 12 starts.

Rochina usually starts games well but then "disappears" in the second half so it's no surprise he gets substituted. Either he lacks fitness and stamina or he cannot concentrate for 90 minutes or a combination of both but he won't improve as a player by being substituted all the time and he has to learn to put in a big shift over 90 minutes.

I like Bowyer and I have a lot of respect for him after what he's done for us these past 4 games. He's really given Appleton a platform to work on. That being said, Bowyer's substitutions last night were shocking and completely took all momentum away from us. Morris isn't good enough at this level, he wasn't good enough in the lower leagues. Pedersen only ever had his set pieces to brag about but he's off set piece duty now. Kane also didn't impress me at all. It's okay saying he made some good runs forward but he was shocking at defending. I don't remember him putting a tackle in! I can't wait for Henley to get back.

Did well last night I thought. Saunders record would suggest he's no mug and playing at home in his first game, this was always gonna be a tough match for us. Neither side shone but I'd put that more down to their players working like trojans to rough us up and close us down as much as any poor performances on our part. I think Wolves' results over the next few games will show that to be a decent point for us. And when you consider the needless, stupid disruption that the appointment of Appleton will have caused, the team coped admirably.

Our penalty was very very soft. Hacked his legs off??? Rochina kicked the wolves defender and fell over. We would all be fuming if that had been given at the other end. And Olsson was lucky to stay on the pitch in the second half.

HAve to disagree, Rochina was probably fortunate the defender did not get both legs. That said he did embellish it a little but I've seen softer given against us. Penalty by the letter of the law.

As for the Wolves goal, my finger points at Ollsen not Dann, MO stopped tracking his man then tried to make up ground, if he had gone with him he could have at least put in a challenge, I think Dann expected Ollsen to be there.

Main problem for me with the team at present is Lowe, I've said it before but imo he really is atrocious in midfield, he's like someone who's never played football before who hasn't the first idea what to do with the ball when he gets it. "Oh *** they're coming."

I think Etuhu is much better than Lowe myself but if Appleton doesn't fancy Etuhu then we need to try and bring in a central midfielder with an engine who looks like he's seen a football before.

Imo one of the reasons we fade towards the end of games is that Murphy often runs out of steam around the 70 minute mark. He is the only one who does the donkey work in midfield. If Lowe could put himself about in Robbie Savage fashion, it would be something but he doesn't even tackle, harry the opposition or offer anything worthwhile at all

• Backroom
I think Etuhu is much better than Lowe myself but if Appleton doesn't fancy Etuhu then we need to try and bring in a central midfielder with an engine who looks like he's seen a football before.

Agree re: Lowe, but in fairness Etuhu is no better as an option at the moment. Appears to have zero motivation and as a result does even less than Lowe, despite having far superior ability. Ideally we'd ship both of them and bring in a couple of workhorses (age irrelevant) to do the dirty work and let our creative midfielders (mainly Rochina and Simon) do the technical work feeding Rhodes/Best.

HAve to disagree, Rochina was probably fortunate the defender did not get both legs. That said he did embellish it a little but I've seen softer given against us. Penalty by the letter of the law.

As for the Wolves goal, my finger points at Ollsen not Dann, MO stopped tracking his man then tried to make up ground, if he had gone with him he could have at least put in a challenge, I think Dann expected Ollsen to be there.

I can see why it was given, there was contact after all, but Rochina knew what he was doing. He left his leg out, felt contact and hit the deck. I dont blame him for doing it, but it wasn't a stone wall penalty by any means.

• Backroom
Let's be honest, it if that penalty had been given against us we'd have been spitting feathers. Rochina conned the referee and we all know it.

Harsh but fair. Letter of the law = penalty. Making the player foul you has always been clever football. Suddenly it's all a con because 2 ex-wolves players were on pundit duty.

Don't be such a sheep.

Let's be honest, it if that penalty had been given against us we'd have been spitting feathers. Rochina conned the referee and we all know it.

I'm sure your mate Big Sam has been quoted in the past as saying the attacking player is entitled to leave his leg in there and if there is actual contact is well within his rights to go down.

I didn't even think this particular incident was that marginal. The defender got himself into a poor position and made a very clumsy challenge. It was a bit soft but I've seen them given for a lot less.

I've never heard Sam say that - please provide evidence - and I've never heard anyone in the professional game say the same.

The defender only made contact because Rochina left a trailing leg in there for him to trip.

It was a clever con but a con all the same. Why not be honest about it ?

• Backroom
I've never heard Sam say that - please provide evidence - and I've never heard anyone in the professional game say the same.

The defender only made contact because Rochina left a trailing leg in there for him to trip.

It was a clever con but a con all the same. Why not be honest about it ?

Who isn't being honest? Like I say, it was harsh but fair. Rochina forced the defender to foul him. PL strikers do it most weeks without the Wolverhampton Inquisition getting on their backs :P

I can't give a direct quote without doing some research, from memory he said something along those lines shortly after taking over at Rovers and I didn't agree with it personally at the time.

However I wouldn't criticise him for it as it seems to be the generally accepted view of the professionals within the game from what I've heard in recent years.

"He [Diouf] has reacted in a manner where he thinks he has got touched, he has taken a tumble and the referee has seen it as there was contact.

"Who doesn't do it? I am defending my player and Sir Alex Ferguson has to defend Wayne Rooney and Arsene Wenger has to defend (Robert) Pires. Everybody does it when they get the chance."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-335294/Dioufs-habitual-diver-admits-Allardyce.html

When a defender plants his leg like that he is inviting he the attacker to make contact with it. The fault was wit.h the defensive player not the attacker. I'd have been furious if it hadn't been given. The commentary was disgracefully one sided - I thought we'd be rid of that sort of bias having been relegated, but alas....

Rovers error was not getting, or striving for a sevond goal.

"He [Diouf] has reacted in a manner where he thinks he has got touched, he has taken a tumble and the referee has seen it as there was contact.

"Who doesn't do it? I am defending my player and Sir Alex Ferguson has to defend Wayne Rooney and Arsene Wenger has to defend (Robert) Pires. Everybody does it when they get the chance."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-335294/Dioufs-habitual-diver-admits-Allardyce.html

Adobe-Acrobat-Standard-Kapow.jpg

Archived