SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
That doesn't wash with me DE. You said he was a last ditch player put into that position because of his positional failings and poor distribution. To now agree that he was a good player is a bit at odds with your original assessment. Then you say if he's as good as people say, how come none of the top clubs came for him?

I haven't read anyone posting excusus for him not playing at a "top club". He's been playing in the CL which was a big step up for him, albeit in a country that doesn't suit european footballers, so that wasn't likely to last.

As for the English top clubs not buying him so far, well which of those clubs needed a central defender as a priority? If there was one of them needing a CH, those clubs have the best defenders in the world to choose from. The fact they didn't move for Samba doesn't mean he's not top class.

I think most rovers fans rated him very highly.

He was a good player for us. This is quite a key point. I said that for any club outside the top 8 he'd be a great asset, and I stick by that. His deficiencies can be tolerated at mid-table prem clubs. A player like Samba could get away with being poor positionally with us because firstly he had the pace to get back and make a tackle, and secondly we defended so often during his time here he always had time to make up for mistakes. The same is not true at top clubs. Equally important is that his mistakes here did not get highlighted the same way they do at top clubs - both on television and in the media.

As far as playing CL football... yeah, but so did Matt Derbyshire when he went to Olympiakos. It's only relevant if you're playing for a club that's a serious threat to the other teams in the competition.

What top clubs needed a central defender? Judging by their performances so far this season, pretty much all of them! Arsenal definitely, Liverpool certainly (still a big club despite their current position), Man Utd too. Spurs could have done with somebody to replace Ledley King as well. You're telling me none of these clubs would have been interested in Samba at 12M if he was genuinely a top player, as you keep saying? Sorry, but I think that's nonsense when you look at the transfer business of any of the big clubs (bar Man City) over the past few seasons.

I do take the point that Samba's wage demands may to an extent cause problems, but we have no idea if Samba would accept a slightly lower wage to join a bigger club. mainly because no big club has ever really taken a serious interest in him - not that has been well publicised, anyway.

He was a good player for us. This is quite a key point. I said that for any club outside the top 8 he'd be a great asset, and I stick by that. His deficiencies can be tolerated at mid-table prem clubs. A player like Samba could get away with being poor positionally with us because firstly he had the pace to get back and make a tackle, and secondly we defended so often during his time here he always had time to make up for mistakes. The same is not true at top clubs. Equally important is that his mistakes here did not get highlighted the same way they do at top clubs - both on television and in the media.

I'm not sure how you arrive at any of those points DE. Rovers were a top 6 side when he arrived - and he was part of a great partnership with Ryan Nelsen. So to suggest he wasn't able to play outside the top 8 is surely proven to be wrong? Your last sentence doesn't make sense to me either. What's telly got to do with anything.

Look, please don't take this the wrong way because your opinions are as welcome as anyone else's, but the two posters today, reckoning that he wasn't a top CH, live in Ipswich and Barrow . Isn't there a case to be made that it's easier to judge these players when you are watching them in the flesh for 90 minutes at a time, week in, week out?

I'm not sure how you arrive at any of those points DE. Rovers were a top 6 side when he arrived - and he was part of a great partnership with Ryan Nelsen. So to suggest he wasn't able to play outside the top 8 is surely proven to be wrong? Your last sentence doesn't make sense to me either. What's telly got to do with anything.

Look, please don't take this the wrong way because your opinions are as welcome as anyone else's, but the two posters today, reckoning that he wasn't a top CH, live in Ipswich and Barrow . Isn't there a case to be made that it's easier to judge these players when you are watching them in the flesh for 90 minutes at a time, week in, week out?

Haven't lived in Barrow for 8 years Den. :)

If he was good enough for a top team then he would have played for a top team. If his passing was better and he didn't have lapses in concentration that I've no doubt he would have done, but they're two important qualities for defenders at top teams.

I still think he'll be a brilliant signing for QPR, and could possibly keep them up.

Samba was an excellent defender for Rovers and a major threat at set pieces. He was actually quite good at dribbling too. One of my favourite sights at Rovers was Samba clumsily and effectively dribbling past a few players, who were probably too scared to tacke him!

So what if he isn't Beckenbauer? Vidic isn't the best ball player either but is damned good at defending and I'm sure Utd fans don't complain about him!

Lets hope Appleton can get some late in and outs sorted today, though unsurprisingly we look to have left it too late.

Where are you now LeC?

Oh, and I keep saying, he was a star in a top team.

Manchester (finally updated my profile to reflect this...).

I'm as big a fan of Hughes as the next man, but I wouldn't say we were a "top team" under him. I know it's very subjective but personally I think a top team has to at least have serious Champions League ambitions.

Samba was a fantastic player for us. Great in the air, physical, ability to get forward and decent pace with his long stride. No clue why top sides didn't go for him, I don't think modern football has changed enough where you now see two ball playing CB's. The majority of clubs still look for that blend of a physical big CB and the other being a better passer to set up moves. Does anyone really think Mertesacker is better than him?

Of course I would have been happy to see him stay but it was clear that he didn't want to. The guy kicked up a fuss for several transfer windows (giving him a pay rise every time stopped that) and it was pretty clear that he wasn't going to play for Rovers if he didn't get a move this time.

I'm as big a fan of Hughes as the next man, but I wouldn't say we were a "top team" under him. I know it's very subjective but personally I think a top team has to at least have serious Champions League ambitions.

We have!

the chuckle brothers said so

On topic MA needs a win at weekend against BCFC and I am hopeful of another good performance and clean sheet.

Off topic....“Chris is just what we need. He’s a monster. Great in the air, quick, a leader, strong, fantastic in both boxes, hard as nails. He’s a proper centre-half.” Harry Redknapp.

Samba – who has made 23 appearances for Russian top flight side Anzhi this season, scoring three goals – expressed his delight at putting pen to paper, commenting: “I’m delighted to be back in the Premier League. It’s the best league in the world to play football. 3 goals from 23 matches! Some going for a centre half.

John Oshea, Wes Brown, Cahill, Lescott, Mertesacker :), Chris Smalling, Dawson, Johhny Evans...do people seriously believe these players playing for or having played for the very top teams are all better than Samba? I know who I would rather have any day.

Hang on the year we finsihed 6th were we not pushing spuds and the goons for 4th? 4 points off in the end if I recall, surely that showed serious ambition?

Bit different to Barrow then. Spent many great Hols as a kid at Marsh Grange [interesting place, google it], my uncle's farm - Ireleth/Askam. Used to go into Barrow every Saturday morning with them and Ulverston market Thursday mornings. They used to drive the cattle by road for the 5 miles over Kirby Moor. Anyway...... MA.

Archived