SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As he? not seen anything about that.

He had when I went to bed .. Not looked since ;)

People have been venting their spleens in the stands and on message boards for ages.

What's your suggestion then??

In the stands ? What one game v Wigan . They came last week and no one hardly said dicky boo to them . If I could I'd organise a mass boycott but too many wouldn't do it cos they are chicken !

ott

If he has it's cos McLeish has a reputation to protect. Appleton hasn't.

He's still trying to make one and no doubt he has a wife, family, mortgage etc to support. No one should expect his resignation really cos such principles come at a price. It's a job that that very very few of us would ever dream of chucking up. Lets be honest what is he qualified for in civvy street which will offer similar remuneration to a 2nd rate manager of a 2nd rate club? Brain surgery?

How do you know that?

Ha I know .

• Moderation Lead

He had when I went to bed .. Not looked since ;)

In the stands ? What one game v Wigan . They came last week and no one hardly said dicky boo to them . If I could I'd organise a mass boycott but too many wouldn't do it cos they are chicken !

People chanted at them for large parts of the game? And some always do.

You go on about boycotting and having had enough, but you still go on don't you??

Yep I go .. But if boycotts organised I wouldn't . For the first time ever I missed a home cup game. I refuse to buy anything from the shop , I used to spend lots in it and I won't even buy a bovril . I refused at Christmas to goto a Christmas do because I refuse to give them any more money apart from season ticket money . The last game was a murmur not a spleen buster .. Mind you I busted my spleen outside with them.

Appleton (I assume he makes the selection decisions after consulting staff) made a big mistake about bringing King back far too early, it now turns out the player is out for two months as a result.

Hopefully just a one off.

When I saw the team line up for Derby, I thought it was odd he was starting the game - sure he said just a few days before there was no need to rush him back too.

ABBEY - I agree with you but there's nothing we can do about it.

At the end of the day we DO have some good players at the club (albeit now quite short in some areas). We have a good manager and a good backroom team.

There are 18 games left with 56 points to play for. We are 10 points away from the play offs. Let's just try to forget about the clowns running the club and hope for the best, supporting the team.

We can see what Appleton has to say today and then we can address the problem in summer and vent our spleens!

So out of the 56 with 18 games left we have to amass 10 points more than about 10 other teams. Not likely, it would take a lengthy winning streak to get that done.

Appleton (I assume he makes the selection decisions after consulting staff) made a big mistake about bringing King back far too early, it now turns out the player is out for two months as a result. Hopefully just a one off.

Perhaps the manager made the decision based on the advice that he had been given by the medical staff?

Is it me or is there a strange habit forming on here whereby a significant number of posters seem overly keen to blame the new manager for .....well, basically anything?

Man, we've sure got some drama queens on here today.

Agreed. It's been like a cyber kindergarten on here for the last 24 hours or so.

I am absolutely gutted by Appleton's decision to let Rochina leave - the only player in the squad worth watchng apart from Rhodes,and I can't see how letting Vuckevic go is a positive move either, it seems obvious from Appleton's team selections and early moves that he prefers dull plodders to players with any creative flair and/or ability.

Meanwhile players who have a bad attitude, been crap for years, or are bereft of any natural ability seem to be managers favourite all of a sudden.(CKR, MGP, Marcus Olsson and Lowe)

The only positive is that the dross Appleton seemingly wanted to sign during the window, didn't arrive seemingly due to an administrative cock up. How is never has been 31 year old journeyman Campbell better than Best or Rhodes? Never heard of the other guy from West Brom but I'd be surprised if he's any good.

With the type of players Appleton seems to favour I can't see anything other than a dismal end to the season whilst we sink to the lower reaches of the table. Then again I expected us to get stuffed at Derby so the proof of the pudding will be in the results I guess.

First out of the door went Formica, then Vuckevic, now Rochina. I am absolutely delighted by Appleton's decision to let Rochina leave - the worst of the truimivirate of Carlos Kickaballs recruited by Kean none of whom were suited to the English game and have each flattered to deceive in their time at Ewood.

I am looking forward now to seeing a more honest Rovers team espousing the Anglo-Saxon characteristics of hard work, discipline and organisation all of which have been sadly lacking in Rovers sides over the past 2 years except for a short period under Eric Black.

It's a pity that the Campbell transfer fell through because he is a hard-working proven forward at this level who with the continuing absence of Best would have been a valuable addition to the squad.

Appleton still has it all to prove but the changes he has made in his short time at the club augur well for the future. For the first time in a long time I feel optimistic and with a fair wind and bit of luck we might be able to have a run at the play-offs. Here's hoping.

I am absolutely gutted by Appleton's decision to let Rochina leave - the only player in the squad worth watchng apart from Rhodes,and I can't see how letting Vuckevic go is a positive move either, it seems obvious from Appleton's team selections and early moves that he prefers dull plodders to players with any creative flair and/or ability.Meanwhile players who have a bad attitude, been crap for years, or are bereft of any natural ability seem to be managers favourite all of a sudden.(CKR, MGP, Marcus Olsson and Lowe)The only positive is that the dross Appleton seemingly wanted to sign during the window, didn't arrive seemingly due to an administrative cock up. How is never has been 31 year old journeyman Campbell better than Best or Rhodes? Never heard of the other guy from West Brom but I'd be surprised if he's any good.With the type of players Appleton seems to favour I can't see anything other than a dismal end to the season whilst we sink to the lower reaches of the table. Then again I expected us to get stuffed at Derby so the proof of the pudding will be in the results I guess.

So Premiership players Campbell and Thomas are 'dross'?

Perhaps you would have been happier if we had beaten Brum to the signing of Wes Thomas? Or perhaps if we'd have nipped in front of Bolton for Craig Davies? Maybe you would have been happier if we had pipped Forest for Dorius Henderson, Wednesday for Leroy Lita or Wolves for Newport superstar Lee Evans? Perhaps bringing Matt Derbyshire home would have floated your boat?

Yes Championship Rovers should have hijacked the Becchio deal or tested Swansea's resolve with a cheeky Michu move. Jermaine Defoe is always supposed to be unsettled isn't he?

As for Thomas well, I can't believe we haven't taken Valencia of Manyoo. He's in and out of their first team isn't he?

You've done nothing but moan about Appleton since he was appointed. You seem to be one of the many whose support of the club depends upon whether or not the owners or manager meets with your approval. I expect that you will be seizing upon any set back or defeat until Appleton has gone.

So Premiership players Campbell and Thomas are 'dross'?

Perhaps you would have been happier if we had beaten Brum to the signing of Wes Thomas? Or perhaps if we'd have nipped in front of Bolton for Craig Davies? Maybe you would have been happier if we had pipped Forest for Dorius Henderson, Wednesday for Leroy Lita or Wolves for Newport superstar Lee Evans? Perhaps bringing Matt Derbyshire home would have floated your boat?

Yes Championship Rovers should have hijacked the Becchio deal or tested Swansea's resolve with a cheeky Michu move. Jermaine Defoe is always supposed to be unsettled isn't he?

As for Thomas well, I can't believe we haven't taken Valencia of Manyoo. He's in and out of their first team isn't he?

You've done nothing but moan about Appleton since he was appointed. You seem to be one of the many whose support of the club depends upon whether or not the owners or manager meets with your approval. I expect that you will be seizing upon any set back or defeat until Appleton has gone.

Very well put. He's definitely waiting for the chance to have a real moan. Grumpy fart.

Far too many on here seem to forget that we are a mid to lower reaches championship team at the moment and as has been stated above, we really should be quite pleased at the fact we were almost signing current prem players as against champ or league 1 journeymen.

the majority of which probably started supporting/following after Jack Walker got his cheque book out and therefore have an unrealistic expectation of our current predicament

F

It's a pity that the Campbell transfer fell through because he is a hard-working proven forward at this level who with the continuing absence of Best would have been a valuable addition to the squad.

Is it? I wonder. He is too much like Rhodes and the only way that I can make that fit given our much more pressing requirement to strengthen midfield and/or defence is if Rhodes has expressed an intention to leave to a better club Or if one was either nosing around him or has expressed an intention to sign him in the summer.

And wembley is damned expensive ! Top two or bust for me :P

We could get there 3 times this season Abs !!

Just to get in the semi final of the play offs.

Yep. And then we'd hve to beat two teams who have been above us in the league for most of the season.

12/1 Paddy Power for promotion? They're having a laugh.

Can't understand the anger about the players that have been shipped out. After the first game Appleton stated he had far too many players in the squad for the second forward position and the squad was unbalanced. Most agreed with him.

In one transfer window he has now undertaken the work to rectify that problem. One problem solved.

He has a plan and is working towards making a squad to fit his plans. It was not his fault that the players he wanted did not come. From day one it was clear he was after a less flair team so it was obivous that the flair players would be shipped out although not as quick as they were.

People winge about the flair players going but remember the good times under Hughes. When Hughes took over the first thing he did was cut the flair players and made us hard to beat. It took time and when once he got them hard to beat then reintroduced a bit of flair in Tugay and Bentley.

• Backroom

There is a feeling that some people will seize any negatives they can during his reign

I noticed quite a few people who were livid after the Barnsley shambles (weren't we all) were overly quiet after the last two better performances, no doubt if we lose today we'll hear from them again.

Massively important for him on a personal level to get a win today after a disappointed deadline day

• Backroom

the majority of which probably started supporting/following after Jack Walker got his cheque book out and therefore have an unrealistic expectation of our current predicament

I'm in that age bracket but have this thing called common sense. Not that common it would seem.

There is a feeling that some people will seize any negatives they can during his reign

I noticed quite a few people who were livid after the Barnsley shambles (weren't we all) were overly quiet after the last two better performances, no doubt if we lose today we'll hear from them again.

Massively important for him on a personal level to get a win today after a disappointed deadline day

Was it not Charlton?

Archived