SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

With names like Baptiste, Thomas and DJ Campbell linked, it seems Appleton does have an eye for a good 1st division player. Hopefully these guys will come in along with a Robbie Savage type of midfielder.

He was a good player for us. This is quite a key point. I said that for any club outside the top 8 he'd be a great asset, and I stick by that. His deficiencies can be tolerated at mid-table prem clubs. A player like Samba could get away with being poor positionally with us because firstly he had the pace to get back and make a tackle, and secondly we defended so often during his time here he always had time to make up for mistakes. The same is not true at top clubs. Equally important is that his mistakes here did not get highlighted the same way they do at top clubs - both on television and in the media.

As far as playing CL football... yeah, but so did Matt Derbyshire when he went to Olympiakos. It's only relevant if you're playing for a club that's a serious threat to the other teams in the competition.

What top clubs needed a central defender? Judging by their performances so far this season, pretty much all of them! Arsenal definitely, Liverpool certainly (still a big club despite their current position), Man Utd too. Spurs could have done with somebody to replace Ledley King as well. You're telling me none of these clubs would have been interested in Samba at 12M if he was genuinely a top player, as you keep saying? Sorry, but I think that's nonsense when you look at the transfer business of any of the big clubs (bar Man City) over the past few seasons.

I do take the point that Samba's wage demands may to an extent cause problems, but we have no idea if Samba would accept a slightly lower wage to join a bigger club. mainly because no big club has ever really taken a serious interest in him - not that has been well publicised, anyway.

I agree with most of that. Physically he had the ability, mentally he hadn't. He'd struggle at a top club because he had poor powers of concentration. When you're at the top club the ball spends lots of time in your opponents half, then all of a sudden it comes back your way, you've got to be wide awake and ready to make the right decisions. Lot's of times Samba was caught out in this respect playing for us. Also like it or not, he went to ground too easily for a top defender. The top clubs must have watched him dozens of times, nobody signed him, says it all for me.

I agree that he is looking at the right types of players. Hopefully he's looking at the right positions too, but given his comments on the unbalanced nature of our squad I'm sure he is doing all he can.

Sadly this can only mean he can't do very much. Nor could anyone else employed by this shower.

Are you bloody kidding me Mr E? Was it his fault, that Humpty and Dumpty from PNE and their goons, did not know how to fill in a form and fax it off in time? Stop being such a miserable person right now. The club messed it up, but imo Appleton should be just as angry that we have idiotic people in charge

ABBEY - I agree with you but there's nothing we can do about it.

At the end of the day we DO have some good players at the club (albeit now quite short in some areas). We have a good manager and a good backroom team.

There are 18 games left with 56 points to play for. We are 10 points away from the play offs. Let's just try to forget about the clowns running the club and hope for the best, supporting the team.

We can see what Appleton has to say today and then we can address the problem in summer and vent our spleens!

• Backroom

If I was Appleton I'd probably walk - it'll only get worse from here.

It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say about what happened yesterday. So far he's been pretty honest, and he now looks like a fool with his 'we need 3 or 4 players' comments. Hope he verbally buries Shaw and Agnew, though that's probably too much to ask for.

A few salient words encompassing the fears of fans and no blame is attributed. Transfer policy must improve ten fold, he took on the responsibility that day and yet shoulders no blame. A head of recruitement was appointted and yet no recruiting done. A direct line to the owners supposedly in place and backing available from them. And yet nothing has transpired. Actions and words. No-one has a clue what has happened and yet certain people are already targets, do people really think given summons etc that they would be willing to gamble their jobs to prevent signings? They would be sacked and to what end? I do not disagree that the whole sorry affair smacks of incompetence but as to who is to blame no-one knows. For all anyone knows this was the plan all along, we all need to sit back and see what is said today as as things stand all we truly know is that we hired a recruitement man and were promised 3-4 signings to get nothing. Same old story at Rovers, lots of words at the right times and actions non-reflective of them.

At the end of the day we DO have some good players at the club (albeit now quite short in some areas). We have a good manager and a good backroom team.

There are 18 games left with 56 points to play for. We are 10 points away from the play offs. Let's just try to forget about the clowns running the club and hope for the best, supporting the team.

We can see what Appleton has to say today and then we can address the problem in summer and vent our spleens!

No one will vent there spleens . The fans will bend over touch there tied and take it up the you know what . Like always . Too many Rovers Fans.

If he's got one shred of decency he will resign today. If not, we are stuck with a trash manager who tried to make dumpster signings and even failed at that.

ott

Hadn't read these comments . I posted same in another thread . Appleton is either all talk or he should resign over this undermining . MacLeish has.

If he has it's cos McLeish has a reputation to protect. Appleton hasn't.

He's still trying to make one and no doubt he has a wife, family, mortgage etc to support. No one should expect his resignation really cos such principles come at a price. It's a job that that very very few of us would ever dream of chucking up. Lets be honest what is he qualified for in civvy street which will offer similar remuneration to a 2nd rate manager of a 2nd rate club? Brain surgery?

How do you know that?

If he's got one shred of decency he will resign today. If not, we are stuck with a trash manager who tried to make dumpster signings and even failed at that.

Why. He has done his part ok. Told the club the players he wants - down to others to do the rest. Hopefully he will recommend others be sacked. Why should he resign from a job he wants to do?

• Moderation Lead

No one will vent there spleens . The fans will bend over touch there tied and take it up the you know what . Like always . Too many Rovers Fans.

People have been venting their spleens in the stands and on message boards for ages.

What's your suggestion then??

Archived